digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Windows XP can no longer be activated: workaround! (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/7879-windows-xp-longer.html)

holocron 03-18-2017 02:56 PM

Windows XP can no longer be activated: workaround!

Microsoft has taken down their activation servers for WinXP. This is bad news, because without activating, an XP install becomes unusable after 30 days. I hear a lot of people rely on this OS for making reliable analog capture machines (this includes my new build, which is how I just discovered this is a problem). What this would mean is we could only use an install for 30 days, and then get locked out and be forced to create a total reinstall. However, there is a workaround.

If the 30 day period is near or has expired: Start the PC in Safe mode by pressing F8 at bootup and selecting safe mode from the prompt that appears.

Once Windows has started in safe mode, click --> start --> Run.

In the "run" window, type: Rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk and click OK. Wait a minute, and then restart the PC.

This resets the activation period to 30 days. Not a flawless solution because you'll still get the activation pop-up, but the device will be usable, which is more than sufficient if capturing video is all you use the computer for.

rocko 03-20-2017 02:23 PM

My XP Cap PC has never been connected to a modem/Internet, (as recommended in the earlier guides on this site). Would your thread title only apply to those that are connected? Not sure how those XP PC's that aren't connected, could ever get the message to stop activating in the future. (My system was built and installed about 2010, no updates or Internet since then)

rocko 03-20-2017 02:27 PM

Just re-read your post, looks like this probably only affects more recent installs of Win XP?

holocron 03-20-2017 11:32 PM

Correct. If you activated XP before the servers shutdown, you're fine. Only reinstalls are an issue, mostly. But sometimes swapping out hardware can make Windows think it's a fresh install and it'll start whining about activation again.

rocko 03-20-2017 11:52 PM

Thanks holocron, which hardware? Eventually some piece of hardware WILL DIE , But a good backup strategy might help. BUT even that backup is only good with current, existing hardware.

bever 03-21-2017 10:45 AM

My XP instance whines for activation. If you search for it on the web you will see a you tube post showing what to do in the registry to stop that. A side note after slipstreaming sp2 into one of my xp instance it is so jacked up it doesnt even need a product key but still activation
Edit
I also do not use xp for the internet it make for lousy web surfing computers in my opinion:smack:

holocron 03-21-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockovids (Post 48425)
Thanks holocron, which hardware? Eventually some piece of hardware WILL DIE , But a good backup strategy might help. BUT even that backup is only good with current, existing hardware.

'Officially' it's the motherboard, but I've also seen it happen with the CPU.

There was also an incident where everything was just wonky and before replacing any parts, I just dismantled everything for a thorough cleaning and then reassembled it exactly as it was before. The system worked fine again, but somehow Windows got the idea that I had moved the hard-drive into a different computer, and started whining for reactivation.