Quantcast Setting up a computer for an ATI AlW 9200 capture system. - digitalFAQ Forum
Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-01-2017, 12:11 AM
Free Member

Hi there,

Next week I will be getting my ATI AIW 9200 card to use with a Panasonic NV-HS1000 S-VHS.

Could somebody in the know advise if the following is correct please. It assumes I am doing a clean install of Windows XP with SP2 and that I have two hard drives. One for the OS and a larger one for Captures:

1. Insert the 16bit sound card into a PCI slot;

2. Insert the AIW Card into an AGP port and attach the monitor cable;

3. In the bios disable onboard graphics and sound if possible;

4. Install XP with SP2;

5. Disable automatic updates (wonít be connected to internet) and set the theme to Windows classic (my choice);

6. Check if DirectX 9.0c is installed (it should be with a SP2 install)

7. Install chipset and other motherboard drivers with the exception of those I have disabled in the bios;

8. Install the Sound drivers;

9. Install the ATI Drivers and software (with my card it seems to be easier to do this than with earlier ones);

Install huffyuv and then Virtualdub;

Following all this test the whole system by capturing VHS to AVI (I know preferably with a TBC but I donít have the money for one so I may need the following even for home movies);

Only if necessary try the Macrovision hacks. Create a system restore point then try ATI-MV-Hack first. If that doesnít work then do a system restore and try the 2005 Driver Replacement next.

Is that about right? Have I done anything wrong here?

I will let you know how I go once I do my first VHS next week.

Cheers,

Paul
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-01-2017, 03:56 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,038 Times in 872 Posts
If your AIW card is in the PC when you first install XP, Windows will likely install its own drivers for your 9200. Rather, install XP and the chipset drivers while using your onboard graphics. Before mounting the ATI card, uninstall the onboard card's drivers, turn off the PC, and mount the AGP card. Then reboot (go into your BIOS first and make sure the graphics card entries for your motherboard are configured as desired. Sometimes there's nothi8ng to change). When the XP desktop starts again Windows will be using the default OEM VGA driver, so the image will be a little weird. Windows will then display the new hardware wizard. Cancel the wizard and install the ATI drivers instead.
07-02-2017, 01:17 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
If your AIW card is in the PC when you first install XP, Windows will likely install its own drivers for your 9200. Rather, install XP and the chipset drivers while using your onboard graphics. Before mounting the ATI card, uninstall the onboard card's drivers, turn off the PC, and mount the AGP card. Then reboot (go into your BIOS first and make sure the graphics card entries for your motherboard are configured as desired. Sometimes there's nothi8ng to change). When the XP desktop starts again Windows will be using the default OEM VGA driver, so the image will be a little weird. Windows will then display the new hardware wizard. Cancel the wizard and install the ATI drivers instead.
Good call. Thanks Sanlyn