Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-01-2017, 12:11 AM
Free Member

Hi there,

Next week I will be getting my ATI AIW 9200 card to use with a Panasonic NV-HS1000 S-VHS.

Could somebody in the know advise if the following is correct please. It assumes I am doing a clean install of Windows XP with SP2 and that I have two hard drives. One for the OS and a larger one for Captures:

1. Insert the 16bit sound card into a PCI slot;

2. Insert the AIW Card into an AGP port and attach the monitor cable;

3. In the bios disable onboard graphics and sound if possible;

4. Install XP with SP2;

5. Disable automatic updates (won’t be connected to internet) and set the theme to Windows classic (my choice);

6. Check if DirectX 9.0c is installed (it should be with a SP2 install)

7. Install chipset and other motherboard drivers with the exception of those I have disabled in the bios;

8. Install the Sound drivers;

9. Install the ATI Drivers and software (with my card it seems to be easier to do this than with earlier ones);

Install huffyuv and then Virtualdub;

Following all this test the whole system by capturing VHS to AVI (I know preferably with a TBC but I don’t have the money for one so I may need the following even for home movies);

Only if necessary try the Macrovision hacks. Create a system restore point then try ATI-MV-Hack first. If that doesn’t work then do a system restore and try the 2005 Driver Replacement next.

Is that about right? Have I done anything wrong here?

I will let you know how I go once I do my first VHS next week.

Cheers,

Paul
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-01-2017, 03:56 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
If your AIW card is in the PC when you first install XP, Windows will likely install its own drivers for your 9200. Rather, install XP and the chipset drivers while using your onboard graphics. Before mounting the ATI card, uninstall the onboard card's drivers, turn off the PC, and mount the AGP card. Then reboot (go into your BIOS first and make sure the graphics card entries for your motherboard are configured as desired. Sometimes there's nothi8ng to change). When the XP desktop starts again Windows will be using the default OEM VGA driver, so the image will be a little weird. Windows will then display the new hardware wizard. Cancel the wizard and install the ATI drivers instead.
07-02-2017, 01:17 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
If your AIW card is in the PC when you first install XP, Windows will likely install its own drivers for your 9200. Rather, install XP and the chipset drivers while using your onboard graphics. Before mounting the ATI card, uninstall the onboard card's drivers, turn off the PC, and mount the AGP card. Then reboot (go into your BIOS first and make sure the graphics card entries for your motherboard are configured as desired. Sometimes there's nothi8ng to change). When the XP desktop starts again Windows will be using the default OEM VGA driver, so the image will be a little weird. Windows will then display the new hardware wizard. Cancel the wizard and install the ATI drivers instead.
Good call. Thanks Sanlyn
03-26-2020, 08:07 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I know this is an old thread but I've got some questions related to this. I had to format my Hard Drive to reinstall everything. I tried to follow this advice but things didn't go as expected. I installed Windows XP with the on board graphics in use and had the AIW card disconnected. I finished installing and found Windows not to be using any drivers at all for the on board, only using something called VGA out or something. I didn't find a need to uninstall anything with no drivers installed so I only installed the chipset drivers. I turned off my PC, hooked the AIW card back up, rebooted into Windows, and Windows installed its own drivers for it. I didn't have a chance for that not to happen and to install the recommended drivers. The Windows drivers were successfully installed. What am I to do?
03-27-2020, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

Go into the following directory:

[Start]
--> [Control Panel]
--> [Hardware and Sound]
--> [Devices and Printers]
--> [Device Manager]

Once you've opened Device Manager you should see a list of different hardware in your PC.

Click on [Display adapters]

There you should see 2 different devices. One of them will be your ATI All in Wonder 9200. Right click on that device select [Uninstall]. If you've performed the uninstallation correctly there will be a yellow warning triangle next to that device that looks like this:

At this point you should be able to insert your ATI Driver CD and install the correct Display Driver for your All in Wonder card. Before doing so, make sure your sound card and its drivers are installed correctly.
03-27-2020, 04:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMedia View Post
There you should see 2 different devices. One of them will be your ATI All in Wonder 9200. Right click on that device select [Uninstall]. If you've performed the uninstallation correctly there will be a yellow warning triangle next to that device that looks like this:

At this point you should be able to insert your ATI Driver CD and install the correct Display Driver for your All in Wonder card. Before doing so, make sure your sound card and its drivers are installed correctly.
Well this didn't work. I uninstalled those AIW drivers in Device Manager like you said (after installing the sound card), installed the official AIW drivers from the CD right after that, rebooted the computer, and found out the drivers were not properly installed. The only thing that does it for me in my setup is installing the drivers from the CD right after Windows auto installs its drivers. It works this way, and actually works very well.

I don't know. If the way that works for me is still not the way to do it, should I do it different?