digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   PAL Hi8 chroma when played on Digital8 camcorder: 4:2:2 or 4:2:0? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/8129-pal-hi8-chroma.html)

polygraph 07-22-2017 11:10 AM

PAL Hi8 chroma when played on Digital8 camcorder: 4:2:2 or 4:2:0?

I have some Hi8 tapes that I am preparing to transfer to a digital format. It is proving difficult to purchase a stereo Hi8 camera that is in better than average condition, and I am considering purchasing a Digital8 camera for this purpose, as they can often be found on ebay in near-mint condition.

I will be using the camcorder's s-video out to capture via Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K.

My question is this: will the chroma of old Hi8 tapes be downgraded from 4:2:2 PAL to 4:2:0 when played back on a Digital8 camorder to make it DV-ready? Or is it only when the video is recorded onto tape that the 4:2:0 subsampling occurs?

sanlyn 07-22-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polygraph (Post 50322)
My question is this: will the chroma of old Hi8 tapes be downgraded from 4:2:2 PAL to 4:2:0 when played back on a Digital8 camorder to make it DV-ready?

Yes. 4:2:2 chroma resolution from analog tape will be will be downsampled to 4:2:0 for DV-AVI, no matter how you do it. You will also see DV compression noise.

juhok 07-22-2017 03:59 PM

I've also experienced video levels clipping with in-built DV-encoder/output. No clipping and better picture quality from s-video to capture card. YMMV.

(4:2:2 Vs 4:2:0 doesn't make difference per se because Hi8 doesn't have 4:2:2 details I think).

polygraph 07-22-2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanlyn (Post 50323)
Yes. 4:2:2 chroma resolution from analog tape will be will be downsampled to 4:2:0 for DV-AVI, no matter how you do it. You will also see DV compression noise.

I don't wish to convert the footage to DV-AVI, as I want to capture from s-video, but perhaps I don't have a choice with Digital8 cameras?

If I understand you correctly, then Digital8 camcorders do not directly feed their analog s-video output with analog Hi8 footage directly from tape. Instead, all analog PAL video played by a Digital 8 camera would go through the following conversion before being sent to the s-video out port:

4:2:2 analog recording on tape -> digital capture -> converted to DV-AVI (with 4:2:0 subsampling and DV compression artifacts) -> converted back to analog -> s-video out

polygraph 07-22-2017 04:56 PM

I actually only want to use the s-video port to feed the capture card, just as you suggest. My question is whether the s-video output will be fed the raw 4:2:2 analog video direct from tape, or is converted to/from DV-AVI before being output.

juhok 07-22-2017 05:00 PM

I guess there's no categorical answer because no-one has tested every camera. With my DCR-T8000E it's "raw". Also there's no 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 sampling with analog video. Those are digital terms.