07-25-2017, 10:11 PM
Free Member

Hi everyone,

First time posting here but have read a ton from here in the last week. I am jumping on another try at converting hundreds of low quality VHS music video tapes. Some are 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th generation copies. In the past I have used a Panasonic DVD recorder, which I no longer have. But I may be in the market to purchase one again for the TBC when passing through it. Here is what I have going on:

I am currently playing VHS tapes through a brand new Panasonic AG-VP320 VHS player. I then have it being sent out via Composite cables to a Sony HVR-M35U Digital HD Videocassette Recorder that it passes through to a MacBook via firewire. Video is connected to the Sony via a RCA Video cable to a BNC converter in the video in. Problem I am running into is through the Sony the video comes through fine to QuickTime Pro. However, the audio cuts out now and then. It seems to be connected to scaliness that go from top to bottom for a second or so. Sometimes no visible video issues at all, however the video never stops playing. Screen doesn't turn blue or anything. Just skips audio for a second or two. Now if I unplug the video cable and just let the audio pass through the audio never skips.

I have done this same thing but passed through a Canon HV40 DV camera. From my attempts there the video records all the way but when I go to watch it at some point the audio just turns to static. I have not run the same tape through the Sony mentioned above to see if there is an issue at the exact same point or not.

I also notice tracking type lines at the bottom of the frame on my MacBook, but this is not visible on the passthrough device. Not sure whats causing this. These lines appear both when using the Canon and the Sony device.

My main question is knowing what I mentioned above, is this something a TBC would help me with? I would really hate to have to record twice and then sync the audio to the video stream.

I appreciate everyones input on here, this site has been so helpful to me!

Pic: This is a crappy (video was in motion when shot) photo of the tracking type lines at bottom of frame: https://i.imgur.com/H6O4ISW.jpg
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-01-2017, 09:03 PM
Free Member

Okay, so I answered my own question! I obtained a DataVideo TBC and it fixed the drop outs. I do have another question now.

Does the device I use for pass through make a difference? Would sending the video from VCR->TBC-> to a Sony HVR-M35U Digital HD Videocassette Recorder vs a Canon HV40 DV camera make a quality difference?
08-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Free Member

Hi ilicit1

Audio cuts out in the following configuration.

vhs composite --- Sony HVR-M35U or Canon HV40 DV (where it is converted to DV format) -------------

input as firewire to macbook

Audio does not cut out with

vhs composite --- DataVideo TBC -------- Sony HVR-M35U or Canon HV40 DV (where it is converted to DV format) -------------

input as firewire to macbook

Yes looks like you answered your own question. Maybe neither dv device could handle the synch issue from your vcr?

You are probably including firewire in your chain due to that being the only option for macbook. Is a DV final format ok for you?

Your hardware chain is asymmetrical using the coveted data video with other less vaunted equipment.

which is better Sony HVR-M35U or Canon HV40 DV ? Just try a few captures and compare.
08-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bever View Post
You are probably including firewire in your chain due to that being the only option for macbook. Is a DV final format ok for you?

Your hardware chain is asymmetrical using the coveted data video with other less vaunted equipment.

which is better Sony HVR-M35U or Canon HV40 DV ? Just try a few captures and compare.
I'm saving the capture from Quicktime in Max Quality(ProRes422). Although file sizes are very large, it does get much smaller after I take it into Final Cut Pro to do some audio/video edits to clean things up and then Export from there.

I no longer have the Canon camera available but I can get it back. Was mostly a question of whether the passthrough device makes any difference in quality or wether it is simply just passing the video through.

Tags
tbc, vhs