Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-14-2017, 09:38 AM
Free Member

I am ready to start my capturing project with equipment I bought from Lordsmurf.

1. JVC SR-VS30 SVHS
2. Datavideo TBC-3000
3. ATI TV Wonder HD600

I have downloaded VirtualDub and Huffyuv Multi-threading.

I have hundreds of VHS tapes to capture and have different goals for different videos.

Some of them I want to:
1. Capture at highest reasonable quality for archival purposes and ability to edit or correct color/exposure on Adobe Premiere

Others I want to:
2. Post straight to Youtube with little or no post-production

And some I want to:
3. Burn straight to DVD with little or no post-production

What do you guys think, as far as broad time-saving advice before I get started? I'm sure I'll have a lot of detail questions once I start running tapes through.

Thanks so much!

-- merged --

After I capture I try bringing the video into virtualdub to trim off the front and back end and possibly do deinterlacing or using other filters.

However it crashes immediately, giving me this message.

Any idea?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EIKxCES.jpg (40.3 KB, 21 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-04-2017, 02:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Try to capture with plain Huffyuv -- not MT, hacked, etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Free Member

I should have mentioned... this problem was happening with MT HuffyUV so then I captured with Huffyuv 2.1 and the same thing happened and that is the screen shot i posted.

Do you think I need to do some uninstalling and start fresh?

-- merged --

I take that back actually... the last video was captured with Huffyuv 2.1.1 64 bit.
09-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Use the original 32-bit version.
You often cannot capture with the variants. Those are intended for non-capture uses.

09-05-2017, 08:11 AM
Free Member

Giving another crack at it today. Are these the best capture timing settings for the equipment i have?

09-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Can't give you an answer, because your image was off-site and is lost and unavailable. Please attach documents and samples directly to your posts at digitalfaq. Ask if you don't know how.

A 5-section, updated and detailed guide to VirtualDub capture settings starts here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html

09-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Free Member

I apologize for the image issue... I hadn't read that instruction until now.

The reason I chose "do not resync" instead of keeping the settings as you suggest in your tutorial is because my first VHS ended up with chipmunk voices in it.

capture timing settings.JPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Can't give you an answer, because your image was off-site and is lost and unavailable. Please attach documents and samples directly to your posts at digitalfaq. Ask if you don't know how.

A 5-section, updated and detailed guide to VirtualDub capture settings starts here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html

09-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

The setting suggested in the newer VirtualDub tutorial for USB capture devices is to enable "Do not resync between audio and video streams". It's also mentioned in the text that you should turn on "Automatically disable resync when integrated audio/video capture is detected." This is because most USB devices have their own integrated audio sync circuitry. This is stated in the text that accompanies the guide's image of timing options. It's also mentioned that most USB devices shouldn't be used with audio preview or audio monitoring turned on during capture. This is a limitation of many USB devices. Audio can be checked before capture starts, and can be viewed during capture with the audio meter, which is also explained in the guide. I've auditioned several USB devices with my two capture PC's and had no problems.

Audio input should be connected to the USB device's input dongle, not to your PC's capture card.
09-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Free Member

OK thanks for the clarification. This is the same tutorial linked above, right?

A couple other questions just to be clear

-is there a real difference or preference between using overlay or preview with my equipment? Both appear to work.

-you suggest turning off cropping during capture, right? Is there a way to crop in the next step after capture when using filters and stuff?

-on your guide in the capture filter properties the "VCR input" option is greyed out, but is an option for me. Should I check or uncheck?

Quote:
The setting suggested in the newer VirtualDub tutorial for USB capture devices is to enable "Do not resync between audio and video streams". It's also mentioned in the text that you should turn on "Automatically disable resync when integrated audio/video capture is detected." This is because most USB devices have their own integrated audio sync circuitry. This is stated in the text that accompanies the guide's image of timing options. It's also mentioned that most USB devices shouldn't be used with audio preview or audio monitoring turned on during capture. This is a limitation of many USB devices. Audio can be checked before capture starts, and can be viewed during capture with the audio meter, which is also explained in the guide. I've auditioned several USB devices with my two capture PC's and had no problems.

Audio input should be connected to the USB device's input dongle, not to your PC's capture card.
09-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragu0012 View Post
OK thanks for the clarification. This is the same tutorial linked above, right?
Yes.

Quote:
-is there a real difference or preference between using overlay or preview with my equipment? Both appear to work.
Use "Preview". Overlay show you what your graphics card sees during capture. Preview shows what Virtualdub is capturing.

Quote:
-you suggest turning off cropping during capture, right? Is there a way to crop in the next step after capture when using filters and stuff?
Crop later. Set any cropping setup to all-zeros before starting capture to turn off cropping. Normally, crop is used to set up the levels controls and histogram readout. Borders and other elements, if not cropped during levels setup, will throw off the histogram. This is explained in the sections on the histogram display and the crop display.

Quote:
-on your guide in the capture filter properties the "VCR input" option is greyed out, but is an option for me. Should I check or uncheck?
I don't see "VCR input" anywhere in the guide or in my version of VirtualDub capture. That might be a feature of your particular card, although I've never seen it mentioned. Usually the VCR's connection is in the devices and input source setup menus. If you have a "VCR input item, what is displayed if you click on it?
09-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Free Member

Yep here is what it looks like on your guide. When I'm in my own settings I am able to check or uncheck the VCR input box, but cannot tell what that feature does. Thanks again for your help.
vcr input.PNG

Quote:
I don't see "VCR input" anywhere in the guide or in my version of VirtualDub capture. That might be a feature of your particular card, although I've never seen it mentioned. Usually the VCR's connection is in the devices and input source setup menus. If you have a "VCR input item, what is displayed if you click on it?

09-06-2017, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

Oh. That! It should be enabled if you're using a VCR as source instead of a tuner. Actually, it's redundant -- you've already told VirtuaLDub elsewhere that your input source is a composite or s-video input.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: ragu0012 (09-06-2017)
09-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Free Member

Thanks again sanlyn and Lord Smurf. I will see how my captures turn out now, then I'll move onto the restore, filter, improve quality forum board.

I will be encoding some of these videos for Vimeo/Facebook/Youtube playback. Some others will need to be encoded for DVD authoring.
09-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

BTW, you have one of the best proc amps around in that TBC-3000. Use it. That alone may save you some grief in trying to color correct in software. A good hardware proc amp is another reason why I tend to color correct in software less that some.

09-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Free Member

Is the best way to do it to hit "still" on a frame to make color adjustments from there?

Do I need to use an external monitor or can I do fine tuning on the computer screen?

I am red-green color blind which causes me some issues with color correcting. (WHite balance issues are no problem for me.. it's just harder for me to notice and diagnose things like a color cast or chroma problems.

I am pretty good with histograms however.. is there a way to bring up a histogram on the capture mode of Virtualdub while i make adjustments on the TBC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
BTW, you have one of the best proc amps around in that TBC-3000. Use it. That alone may save you some grief in trying to color correct in software. A good hardware proc amp is another reason why I tend to color correct in software less that some.
09-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Is the best way to do it to hit "still" on a frame to make color adjustments from there?

Do I need to use an external monitor or can I do fine tuning on the computer screen?

I am red-green color blind which causes me some issues with color correcting. (WHite balance issues are no problem for me.. it's just harder for me to notice and diagnose things like a color cast or chroma problems.

I am pretty good with histograms however.. is there a way to bring up a histogram on the capture mode of Virtualdub while i make adjustments on the TBC?
Color correction, whether you're color blind or not, and especially complex color correction, should never be done during capture. If you have a heavy duty studio shop setup such as Industrial Light & Magic, or Disney, you could do it during capture after a test run and several rounds of equipment calibration.
09-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
I am red-green color blind which causes me some issues with color correcting.
You can call up a histogram on capture, I think, but it's something I never do.

You may want to save the proc amp for contrast/brightness fixes only, and save the color work for post-capture.

Some of this is starting to get into preference, and not right/wrong answers.