Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Free Member

I'm trying to capture some video from VHS tapes, and I'm following the instructions from this nice video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_TDa9zY1c

I got the drivers installed, my computer recognizes it, it shows up as a capture device in VirtualDub.

But... I get nothing but a blue screen when I hit play on the VCR.

I do have the GV-USB selected as a capture device. And I know the VCR and tape are good, I tested it on my TV first.

I even tried using different USB ports, but there's no change.

I feel like I'm missing something simple here...

Any help is appreciated!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Is that one of those cheap $20-30 USB capture sticks? You're going to find out the hard way that those things have many issues. Drivers, video quality, audio quality, unstable, etc. This will be the first of many nuisances.

That Youtube video is mostly accurate. But Yadif has issues he didn't discuss, and 59.94 has issues as well. Generally speaking, that's not always an ideal way to handle VHS video sources (if not specifically using for Youtube).

The idea that you can use any cheap $20 USB device is not correct. Many devices simply fail to work in VirtualDub.

Handbrake tends to have a lot of issues for people. Avidemux is often more stable, has less issues.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Free Member

Well, crap I had read that it would work...

I also tried an HonestTech 'My Vidbox' but it does the same thing. Is it another crappy capture device or could it be a problem with my computer?

What else could I get that doesn't break the bank? :T

Does Avidemux do video capture...?
09-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Only thing I can think of is that you might be trying to mix 32-bit and 64-bit components/software/drivers, which won't work. Try AmarecTV, which is another DirectShow capture device, and see if you get results. If you don't want to use their proprietary lossy codec (which you should avoid anyway), AmarecTV can capture to lossless compressors like huffyuv and is free.

And like lordsmurf says, watch out for those $20 cheapies. Even when they work, they don't work so well. Or try something relatively inexpensive and sold at discounts like the Diamond VC500 USB, which is pretty decent and beats the cheap ripoffs by a good mile.

Or browse the later VirtualDub capture guide, if you haven't already: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html.
09-22-2017, 07:49 PM
Free Member

Oh jeez it's still not working x_x

This time I am using the Diamond VC500 capture device as suggested.

I got the version of Virtualdub from the thread stickied here, and installed it in the 64-bit program file folder.

The drivers for the VC500 are installed and VDub does see the device.

But all I get is a blue screen when I try to play the video.

What the heck am I missing? I am using Windows10, if that makes any difference.
09-23-2017, 02:09 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Create a directory outside Program Files, or Program Files (x86), and call it something like Portable. That's where you should stick no-install software. And that's what VirtualDub is. For capturing, use the x86 32-bit version. In fact, my download here does not have the x64 that I recall.

Windows 10 is a real pain. It's honestly a tablet OS used on desktops, mostly intended for the internet. It's not a productivity OS, when doing specialized tasks like video.

The blue screen could be a driver issue, or a codec issue. Codec problems are usually green, not blue, but again this is Windows 10. On that OS, sometimes down is up, and up is down.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: archivarious (09-08-2020)
09-23-2017, 08:55 AM
Free Member

I moved VirtualDub like you said. Now I get a black screen instead of blue, still no playback.

I do notice that I don't actually see the Diamond VC500 under device manager, though I do see it in VirtualDub. Sign of a driver issue?
09-29-2017, 04:28 PM
Free Member

Okay so I am even trying other software like OBS now... Still no luck.

I really need to be able to capture video somehow! I'm getting desperate.

Are there any capture devices that ARE known to work with Windows 10?
09-30-2017, 05:06 AM
Free Member

In windows 10 I am able to capture using a Hauppauge USB Live with VirtualDub 1.10.4 32-bit, AmarecTV 3.10 and with a Custom Graph in GraphStudioNext.
The following users thank lollo for this useful post: archivarious (09-08-2020)
09-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivyna_J_Spyder View Post
Okay so I am even trying other software like OBS now... Still no luck.

I really need to be able to capture video somehow! I'm getting desperate.

Are there any capture devices that ARE known to work with Windows 10?
THe VC500 has software for Windows Xp, Vista, 7, 8 and 10. I've used it with XP, Win7 and Win10, and Virtualdub. The VC500's capture drivers are installed with the EZGrabber software. You don't use EZGrabber to capture, but you still have to initialize the software. Open EZGrabber with the VC500 connected and set EZ grabber to capture to "AVI". Then close it. You should then be able to use the VC500 with VirtualDub.

If still no fix, try AmarecTV in lossless capture mode.

If you have to install Virtualdub in a "program Files' foder, don't use the WIn10 64-bit folder. Use Program Files x86), or install Virtualdub to its own folder and call the folder"VirtualDub" or whatever you want.

Otherwise, as many have noted, the problem is basically Windws10 itself. It doesn't even run parts of its own built-in software correctly.
10-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Free Member

Edit: OH MY GOD I AM AN IDIOT

I had the composite cables in the IN ports, and not the OUT ports x_x I didn't even realize that was a thing.

Uggghhh. It's always something simple like that, isn't it.

So now it works in EZGrabber, just need to figure out VirtualDub...

Last edited by Ivyna_J_Spyder; 10-02-2017 at 05:15 PM.
10-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I had the composite cables in the IN ports, and not the OUT ports x_x I didn't even realize that was a thing.

Uggghhh. It's always something simple like that, isn't it.
Not always, but almost always. And it's always the last thing you check.

Quote:
just need to figure out VirtualDub...
Try the completely new VDub capture guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: archivarious (09-08-2020)