Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-06-2017, 12:23 AM
Free Member

Looking for a sanity check here. I'm trying to capture some lossless video (Huffyuv) via Virtualdub. Setup is:

HI8 cam -> svideo -> ATI tv wonder 600 -> virtualdub.

Output file ended up with a very jerky or jumpy feeling video. Not smooth at all, would hop frames it felt like. Tried capturing to my SSD vs my magnetic drive and same issue. Tried with DV capture via Scenalyzer issue was gone.

After more experimenting I tried capturing lossless via virtualdub with Video overlay mode turned off, aka set to "No display". These output files look good.

Is this a common issue? I don't see this mentioned in the guide. Maybe it should be included. I'm wondering if my eyes are playing tricks on me at this point. Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-06-2017, 01:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Almost always due to dropped frames, which are due to no external frame TBC in workflow.

DV capture experience depends on DV hardware in use. It's not a TBC replacement, but can sometimes be less stressed by timing errors. Still often dropped frames, however.

Preview OFF, with error only ON, may point to another issue. There are hard to troubleshoot. For example, if SSD looks bad, it's not IO. But it may be due to the graphics card.

No, not normal.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-06-2017, 01:23 AM
Free Member

Gotcha. Same issue was present with and without TBC1000 in the mix. Only thing so far fixing issue is turning video Overlay off. Saw the issue capturing to two different hard drives too.

You mention graphics card: I'm not running a standalone graphics card. Just the onboard video from my 3770k ivy bridge i7. Maybe that's playing into it a bit. Would surprise me though, it's fast enough to play many modern games. Something to think about I guess.
10-06-2017, 01:30 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasserra View Post
Is this a common issue?
If you're using the vDub defaults, an ancient guide, and no external frame-level tbc, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasserra View Post
I don't see this mentioned in the guide. Maybe it should be included.
It's included, along with a lot of other advice that didn't appear 12 years ago, in this guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html.