Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-09-2017, 04:12 PM
Free Member

Hi all,

First post here.

I have a Canon U8000 Video8 (8mm) camcorder that still works. I also have a Belkin VideoBus II (model F5U205) which I know is not supported on Windows 10.

I have a Laptop that runs a Virtual Machine as a Window XP OS and works ok with my old Canon flatbed Scanner.

Here is the issue.

I have looked around the internet and seems that I needed the drivers for the Belkin which I have and they installed fine.

I discovered I need a capture program and it seems that VirtualDub was a good way to go so I downloaded version 1.10.4.

Also a codec was needed and HuffYUV was mentioned in various sources. That I have downloaded and installed. Both of these on to the VM Windows XP.

Following these instructions http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...ldub.htm#iuvcr I tried to get the settings to work.

These are some of the issues I have:

I go to the Capture Settings and set it to 25 fps and click OK but this never saves.
I go to Audio Settings and there is no PCM format.
I go to Standard Video settings and the Overlay is greyed out as is the next step Format.
I go to Video > Source and it is greyed out so cannot select it
When I go to Video > Video Sources > No Video Sources.

Please can someone kindly help?

Am I using the wrong things to import/capture 8mm footage ?

If so what does you guys recommend ?

Looking forward to some help as I wanted to try and get a fair bit of footage to DVD for my Mum and Mother in Law for Christmas.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-09-2017, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
As far as anyone around here knows, the Belkin unit doesn't have DirectShow capture drivers that are compatible with capture drivers via VirtualDub or AmarecTV. A modern USB device with DirectShow drivers optimized for analog source would be the Diamoind Multimedia VC500, whose discounted price tag is an added bonus. The VC500 has drivers for XP, Vista, and Win 7, 8, and 10. It's been popular for years and is known to give excellent results with lossless capture. Many sample posts using this device have appeared here and in other forums. The WW2 bomber movie shots in this link were captured with the VC500: 9600XT and VC500 sample shots and histograms.
10-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Can of worms post.

You can't capture in a VM. It must be native to the hardware and OS. So that's out.

The Belkin VideoBus II is really old, really terrible hardware. And you need to understand that I support legacy hardware. So when I say something is old, it's old. In the world of digital video, it's a Model T. Hardware from 2003 is not something you want to mess with. When we're talking USB, nothing decent really came out for another 5 years.

Video8 loves to drop frames. Even Hi8 is a nuisance, but Video8 is far worse. Either get a TBC, or just pay somebody else to do this project. You will never get acceptable results from that card. You'll ONLY get acceptable results with that camera if using a TBC and known-good capture card.

How many tapes do you have?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the answers.

I have about 100 8mm tapes (possibly more when I get the box out) and all of them full.

The old budget is tight (practically non existent) so having to go with what I have at this time.

Sorry to show my noobness but what's a TBC ?

It used to be so easy; plug the camcorder into my Camlink Edit Baby and connect to the old VHS and away I'd go.