12-01-2017, 10:04 AM
Free Member

I've got an old Panasonic DS850 pro VTR that I just hauled out of a couple decades of storage. After some cleanup, it's flaky but working (needs video board recapped I'm sure). Played an old commercial VHS like a champ, but I was confused for a bit when I stuck in an old home recorded video and it played like a garbled double-speed mess.

I've got a pile of tapes that I'd like to archive, but I quickly realized that about half may be LP or SLP mode recordings. Is there any way that I can force this beast to play them back, or am I stuck buying another machine just for them?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-04-2017, 02:18 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Old "pro" tank VCRs like that were made for specific uses, usually SP only and geared to recording. Playback is terrible, sometimes even worse than consumer VHS VCRs (which are laughably crude compared to a good JVC/Panasonic from the late 90s or 2000s).

You need a new better VCR. That one won't work.

FYI, I still have a few of the suggested model VCRs available, and in perfect condition. I re-tested them thoroughly before listing, unlike the "tested" junk you find on eBay/etc. PM me if interested. An external TBC is also suggested, but at least start with the good VCR. I have an entire available workflow, too (VCR, TBC, cature card). This gear is all listed in the marketplace right now.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the input! I was afraid of as much... such a cool old VTR though! I was a video editor in a previous career, and learned how to edit on these beasts. Of course, I always dealt with fresh S-VHS out of the camera. I'll look at what you've got available, but I'm on a pretty tight budget at the moment. I've got a pile of old rack gear from the same closet as the DS850 - proc amps, TBC, sync gen, spare parts for the VTR, etc, but it's all so old that it's probably useless.