digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   HD capture issues with Intensity Shuttle: audio sync, dropped frames? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/8291-hd-capture-issues.html)

koberulz 11-05-2017 05:33 AM

HD capture issues with Intensity Shuttle: audio sync, dropped frames?

Hooked my BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle up with VirtualDub and tried to capture in UtHD. Worked just fine once, but now everything I capture gets out of sync by six or seven seconds by the end.

I'm capturing on a laptop, to a USB3.0 RAID0 drive. I've also tried capturing in 8- and 10-bit YUV via the packaged BlackMagic software, but it drops a frame every 5-20 minutes depending on format.

According to the Disk Speed Utility my RAID0 is fast enough most of the time for 27-28fps at 1080, with a checkmark next to both read and write for 1080i50 in 10-bit for both YUV and RGB...most of the time. Intermittently it drops significantly (from around 150-160 to sub-120), managing only 18fps at 1080.

While capturing to MJPEG does work fine, it means a lot of screwing around to fix issues with field order and color shifts, so I'd rather avoid it if possible.

lordsmurf 11-05-2017 03:38 PM

This is a well-known problem. The BM cards drop heavy frames on SD capture, but do not report the drops to the software. The most obvious tell-tale sign of dropped frames is audio sync loss.

The cards is a POS for SD. Only use for HD, the main reason it exists. SD was poor afterthought that never worked right.

koberulz 11-05-2017 09:13 PM

I am using it for HD. I've got my USB-Live2 for VHS work.

juhok 11-11-2017 09:54 PM

What..? The card I've used works just fine for SD. It drops with bad analog sources so TBC-1000 or similar is needed with those.

lordsmurf 12-04-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koberulz (Post 51413)
I am using it for HD. I've got my USB-Live2 for VHS work.

I'm stumped then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by juhok (Post 51451)
What..? The card I've used works just fine for SD. It drops with bad analog sources so TBC-1000 or similar is needed with those.

You know what? I think every complaint I've read to date was NTSC users. Not PAL. Hmm. And TBC was in use for them as well.

This is a card I've heavily read about since it was in pre-release, and never bought one based on complaints (from knowledgeable users, not random "reviews" off Amazon/blogs/etc). Perhaps if I found one cheaply, I do it. Not a big budget for testing gear anymore.

juhok 12-04-2017 08:43 AM

Maybe there are also differences between models and hardware revisions. I've got older Decklink Studio without HDMI. Cannot check the exact model because it seems it has disappeared from my system devices just now for some reason..