Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-22-2018, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Hi DigitalFaq Forum,

I recently built a Windows XP PC for the purpose of analog video capture. While I've been able to use VirtualDub successfully with my ATI All in Wonder 9200 to create lossless AVI files from Video8 tapes, I've been having trouble copying my AVI files to my editing pc. Currently I'm copying a ~50GB AVI files using an external usb hdd, but I've had to repeat the process 3 times throughout the day. When the file is approximately 95% finished copying to the external drive my computer either freezes or does a hard reset and the resulting AVI file is corrupted. If you have any advice about how I might solve this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

- Jacob
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-22-2018, 05:45 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
You need to submit more specs:
- motherboard brand/model
- CPU
- internal drive type

USB is often a painfully slow and problematic method to move files. eSATA is always better. If the motherboard does not have enough SATA ports to add an eSATA bracket, or even one at all (IDE only), I'll add a Vantec eSATA card based on the SIL chipset.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-22-2018, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

Thank you for replying to my post lordsmurf!

Motherboard: ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo X6800 2.93 GHz
OS Drive: WD 500GB 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA 6 Gb/s HDD
Storage Drive: WD 1TB 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA 6 Gb/s HDD

One of the shortcoming of this motherboard is that it only comes with 2 SATA headers. I've already installed a PCI SATA expansion card so I can use a dvd drive in tandem with my two hdd's. Do you believe a PCI eSATA controller would help solve my file transfer problems? Also will I then need an eSATA compatible external hard drive to transfer files?
07-22-2018, 07:55 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
You must being reading my posts. You're getting the good gear.

- That's one of my favorite AGP boards, bested only by the SATA2 model ... which is what I use (x2). Those are harder to find, and expensive when you do.
- That CPU not much different from my E8400.
- You should have 2gb RAM.
- WD not my favorite HDD, but works, at 1.5 gigabit max of board.

I use IDE for OS/etc, and then onboard SATA for 2x storage. Card for eSATA and optical.

With this setup, 2tb is max drive size allowed. You can either buy an external drive, or enclosure for bare SATA drive.
Fantom highly suggested: https://www.amazon.com/Fantom-Drives...b10f724585e171

USB on these old legacy setups is miserable for large files. That's really the issue. Easy fix.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
capture, crashing, file transfer, windows xp