digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   ATI AIW card: lower of upper field interlace? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/8349-ati-aiw-card.html)

Mejnour 12-11-2017 08:29 AM

ATI AIW card: lower of upper field interlace?

Hello,

I have read that AIT AIW are geared TFF (Top Field First) for enconding.

Is that correct?

My typical workflow is capturing VHS tape with huffyuv AVI with AGP X800XL thru virtualdub.

I know that when I import video file in premiere pro, the default setting for DV-PAL or DV-NTSC are
Lower Field First.

lordsmurf 12-11-2017 08:43 AM

Top-field first (TFF), correct. :congrats:

DV is bottom field video (BFF). Almost everything else, however, is top-field first.

Mejnour 12-11-2017 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 51806)
Top-field first (TFF), correct. :congrats:

DV is bottom field video (BFF). Almost everything else, however, is top-field first.

Thanks Lord:D

Does that means that if I want to re-encode, I just have to check UFF in the setting to respect the original video capture? (same as rule as interlaced video; always try to respect the original capture for encoding)

lordsmurf 12-13-2017 09:50 AM

UFF? Must be a typo. Always TFF when working with it, including re-encode.

Technically, you can mix a project with DV footage, and if you have a project setting on BFF, then the NLE should sort out the dominance for you. Note that I rarely ever mixed footage sources like that, and it was at least 5+ years ago, so I could be wrong there. But don't think I am. Sometimes video is like voodoo. That's one of them. Mixing stuff is rarely good.

Mejnour 12-13-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 51821)
UFF? Must be a typo. Always TFF when working with it, including re-encode.

Technically, you can mix a project with DV footage, and if you have a project setting on BFF, then the NLE should sort out the dominance for you. Note that I rarely ever mixed footage sources like that, and it was at least 5+ years ago, so I could be wrong there. But don't think I am. Sometimes video is like voodoo. That's one of them. Mixing stuff is rarely good.

Sorry my mistake; "U" was for upper, but you are right it's "T" for top.
Thanks for the info.

To be honest some I been aware of this details in my workflow since now, I mean I was using the default setting that was BFF and never had problem with the final DVD result. But I read that if I play the DVD on a old CRT TV I may have surprise. So from now I will check "TFF" just to have piece of mind. I am glad I have learn that AIW card are TFF. Thank you it's always a pleasure to benefit from your knowledge!