Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-19-2017, 02:13 AM
Free Member

Here is a video that I transferred from an old VHS tape from a Sharp DV-RW550, using a Diamond Video Capture device on a MacBook Pro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGsW...ature=youtu.be

I have many old VHS tapes (mostly recorded on family camcorder) and they seem to have that same issue.

Will a TBC-1000 fix this?

Will upgrading to a better VCR fix this?

Is it simply a matter of cleaning the VCR's head? Adjusting tracking?

Before I invest in this endeavor, I'd like to know the correct tool to solve this particular issue.

---

Some googling seems to indicate that a Panasonic ES-10 might solve this problem. Will an ES-10 also satisfy the need for a TBC? Are they the same thing (when the ES-10 is used as a passthru device)?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 3.12.20 AM.jpg (36.5 KB, 48 downloads)

Last edited by jeffpeck; 12-19-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
You have more than just tearing going on. There are obvious timing issues all over the image. You can easily see the wiggling letters, the shaking box, etc. A better VCR will likely fix it, yes.

However, if the tearing is too significant, only an ES10/15 will work.
Note: Realize that "significant" is not something you can see. A tearing error can appear tiny, yet even an ES10 can sometimes fail to correct too much signal damage.

You should start with a better VCR. Odds are, yes, it fixes your issue.

(PM me, I still have a good model JVC Pro available. I'm also about to let go of a Panasonic AG-1980, and for best results it needs to be paired with green AVT-8710 that I'm letting go with it. That latter one would probably work best for you.)

TBC-1000 will only correct the signal, not anything visual. Do note, however, that a capture card almost always balks at impure signals. That's why any good workflow is S-VHS VCR with internal TBC (clean image) > external TBC (clean signal) > and then the good capture card that retain all the detail and signal quality of the tape (ie, not a cheapo EZcap/EZcrap).

You can't clean your current VCR for this. That will do nothing.

An ES10/15 is NOT a TBC, and will fail to correct some of the same issues found in true TBCs. The bigger issues is the ES10/15 has side effects, that will degrade your image. It is something to use only when all other methods of truly fixing it have failed. The ES10 is a tradeoff. You lose tearing/unstable, but gain issues in color, posterization/ghosting, etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
vhs tearing