12-26-2017, 06:04 AM
Free Member

Hello everyone.
I have some old vhs and I would like to capture them at the maximum possible quality.
I have this equipment:

VCR Panasonic HS1000 with line tbc
AVT-8120 external tbc
Hauppauge USB Live 2 Capture card
Virtual dub for capturing.

I would like to follow this workflow:
1) Capure the vhs two times.
2) Deinterlace the two videos doubling the frame rate
3) Put the second in overlay with the first in Adobe Premiere with opacity 50% to clean more noise.

When I capture the video virtualdub says 0 frames inserted and 0 frames dropped for both the captures.
But when I go to Premiere there are a lot of unmatching frames.
If I adjust the alignment of the two videos at a certain point, it becomes misaligned somewhere else because in one video there is some frame dropped that the second video has and the other way around, so I have to manually cut a lot of times the second video to make it match entirely.

It's the capture card fault or it's an unavoidable issue in analog capturing?
I would understand this behavior if virtual dub told me that there were dropped/inserted frames, but this is not the case.

Thank you!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
The AVT-8120 splitter is not a TBC. The TBC does not function for non-splitscreen use. So any dropped frames will not be corrected by the device. I tested this device last year. Cypress advertises "TBC" on many of their devices, but sometimes it's not present everywhere. It's very misleading.

The Hauppauge may also be doing something to the video before the computer (thus capture software) sees it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-12-2018, 07:55 AM
Free Member

I covered this here
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...g-options.html

Also, there are now Avisynth scripts to automatically align the two captures. I don't have a link atm.

Tags
vhs capture card frames