Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-11-2018, 12:05 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I have about 30+ VHS tapes that I want to digitalize and I want to ensure I get the best quality out of the process. I've been looking for a JVC HR-S9800U and other similar players and have been doing a lot of reading. I think this player comes with a TBC, but I'm not sure if I should buy another one to ensure the best quality. I'm looking to purchase a good player and possibly a TBC. Is anyone selling any and are willing to ship?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-11-2018, 04:21 AM
Free Member

Where are you? If the UK, I'm just finishing restoring a lovely JVC HR-S8700 S-VHS VCR - comes with all the filters and TBC and will be listing it here shortly. It does not have dynamic drum so no under head gears to break or snap.
01-11-2018, 08:26 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
@Jtm732:

PM me. I have what you need available.

A basic capturing workflow is this:
- quality S-VHS VCR with internal line TBC for playing best possible image from tape
- external framesync TBC to stabilize signal (other capture card/device will reject it, or capture with issues aka dropped frames, etc)
- quality capture card or recorder (low-quality devices degrade the image, and VHS is already degraded enough as it is)

Internal TBC and external TBC do separate things.

Buying a secondary deck, of slightly different model/make, ensures that more tapes can be played. VCRs will always reject some % of tapes, in terms of giving a quality playback (tracking, jittering, etc). Having two varied models tends to significantly reduce that fact.

@Quasipal:

IP shows NJ USA. Site Staff can see that info.

If you have a good PAL deck for sale, I have a lead for you. I don't think he's ready to buy yet, so maybe not this deck this time, but somebody to keep in contact with. I'll give him your information and my recommendation.

He's an old online friend, dating back 10-15 years, and we recently reconnected.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs