Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-01-2018, 02:40 AM
Free Member

To start, I began the process of converting old vhs-c videos to digital using a JVC HR-A63U in combo with a VHS to DVD program from Roxio. The biggest issue so far has been the VCR not playing through breaks where filming stops/starts again. To make it worse, trying to scrub the tape just enough without passing starting points just isnt possible with this machine.

After reading through it seems the most recommended VCR for the job is a Panasonic Ag-1980. I'd also like some input on other models that might be more affordable that can accomplish the job in a similar manner. So far I've found a Panasonic AG-6500 and a Panasonic AG-6200 that are closer to what I would feel comfortable paying for this project.

Additionally, I may go through with swapping the VHS-C tapes into standard VHS cases to remove any risk associated with using an adapter.

TLDR; would a Panasonic AG-6200 or 6500 be able to convert VHS-C tapes to digital effectively?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
This is another situation where you're running into issues from low-end/not-suggested hardware:
- bad capture card
- lack of TBC
- consumer VHS decks, ancient pro editing VTRs

That's just not what will give you quality, and may fail to allow conversion at all.

That AG-6200 is too old to be useful, or output quality. The heads are probably shot, and such decks were made for editing in studios. The tech in it far pre-dates what's in an AG-1980P.

A few select JVC EOL SR models could also do very well as VHS-C (whereas most JVCs just ate the tapes), but the decks needed to be modded. I do have a few available, PM if interested.

You also need a metal JVC/Panasonic adapter, not those cheap plastic junky things. That causes eaten tapes, too.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs