Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-17-2018, 06:49 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I think you're doing something wrong with the capture. Let's verify your method.

1. Is the AG1980 TBC off, and the ES10 in the chain?
Here is my chain:

Ag-1980 with TBC on is connected to ES15 with S-Video. ES15 to Happauge Live 2 with S-Video. Audio goes directly from AG-1980 to Happauge. Should the audio get passed through the ES15 as well?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-17-2018, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
I've connected audio both ways -- either directly from VCR to capture card, or two connections from VCR -> external tbc/pass-thru -> capture card. In my case it never made a difference as far as sync is concerned, but it's possible that going thru the intermediate device might prevent sync problems. I see complaints about audio sync but they mystify me because I've never had the problem (maybe because I always had tbc's going??). Anyway, it hard to tell with the samples because the video is so broken up. With a USB capture device you shouldn't be monitoring audio during capture. Technically, the Hauppauge maintains its own audio sync, so don't let Virtualdub do it. Details are in the settings guide linked earlier. You can use the "View" menu to show an audio volume meter at the bottom of the screen if you want to be sure there is audio activity.

If you notice any sync problems from damaged tape or playback issues, give a holler. Also, keep checking with lordsmurf's advice and questions from post #20. Maybe some experimentation could improve playback.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: Liberty610 (02-18-2018)
02-18-2018, 02:39 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
I've connected audio both ways -- either directly from VCR to capture card, or two connections from VCR -> external tbc/pass-thru -> capture card. In my case it never made a difference as far as sync is concerned, but it's possible that going thru the intermediate device might prevent sync problems.
I will try going through the ES15 for both audio and video and see if that does anything. I did notice a delay as well in the audio as I was checking other parts of the capture. I do not believe the the tape itself is the cause, as I have previous captures from it where the audio was fine.

Quote:
I see complaints about audio sync but they mystify me because I've never had the problem (maybe because I always had tbc's going??). Anyway, it hard to tell with the samples because the video is so broken up. With a USB capture device you shouldn't be monitoring audio during capture. Technically, the Hauppauge maintains its own audio sync, so don't let Virtualdub do it.
I don't monitor the audio at all during capture, as I noticed it would drop frames when I attempted to do it when i first tried Vdub.

Quote:
If you notice any sync problems from damaged tape or playback issues, give a holler. Also, keep checking with lordsmurf's advice and questions from post #20. Maybe some experimentation could improve playback.
As I stated before, the original VHS-C tapes where not the best. And whatever problems they had could have easily been copied to the VHS tapes when using the consumer VCRs to copy them. I really don't know what all the issues could be or what ones are effect/not effect with TBCs and what not. I didn't have any audio sync issues on the other captures, so this will take some tinkering, as I did not change any settings and followed your Vdub guide when setting it up.

Thanks for the replies. The fixed video on the first sample looks awesome compared to what it was. I'm looking forward to tackling AVI synth soon. I have been busy this weekend in my studio here prepping some audio files for a mixing engineer on another project, so I have not been able to do much capture testing. Hope to pick back up this week.

My next step will be to try to push both the audio and the video through the ES15 for capture and see if that fixes the audio sync issues.
02-20-2018, 03:09 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The conversation by ExUSAF_AV has been moved here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...t-vhs-hi8.html

Continue that topic there.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-20-2018, 05:16 PM
Free Member

Ok I believe I have fixed the audio sync issue. I don't see it as out of sync like I did the last round. I have attached a new clip.

My chain is S-video and RCA audio from AG1980 to ES15, S-video and audio from ES15 to USB Live 2. I am passing BOTH audio and video through the Es15 now. TBC on the AG1980 is turned on. I am not sure if skipping the audio passing through the ES15 caused the issue or not, but it appears to be in sync now. I used a different section of the video where it was not so broken up.

Attached Files
File Type: avi sample_03.avi (70.64 MB, 28 downloads)

Tags
analog to digital, vhs capture