Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-02-2018, 10:49 AM
Free Member

Please forgive the long post here, but I am trying to build up a little knowledge base for myself, and I figure the best way to do that is to start from the beginning and work my way up.

User lordsmurf sent me here for questions I may have, and although he will probably be answering many of them, I am looking for any and all help so I learn the best way to proceed with capturing.

I am currently in talks with lordsmurf about purchasing some capturing hardware for VHS tapes. My original interests in doing this is for my own collection of family videos that will benefit from a re-capture with higher end gear, but I also want to start offering the option as a service to locals. Small town doesn't have many tech savy people, and I get a lot of questions about video tape capturing.

After posting a topic on it on VideoHelp's forums, I discovered my original capturing methods were not the right way to go about it. So I figured I would start researching the proper gear and learn to do it the right way using my tape collection, and then offering it as a service in my project studio.

So, to start off, I will need to capture this footage properly. So, I guess I will begin with questions about the the capturing process.

I myself have over 30 VHS tapes I would like to re-capture. A few were recorded in SP mode (from a VHS camcorder itself) but most of them are in EP/SLP mode. So most the tapes are 6 hours, full of footage. Much of the footage was copied from VHS-C tapes by using the old VHS-C to VHS adapter and connecting 2 various consumer grade VCRs together and dubbing them over. Other footage was recorded by connecting a Sony HI8 camcorder to a consumer VCR and recording that way. Some of the footage is also SD MiniDV footage captured through RCA cables (this was from years ago before I knew much about technology - please be gentle).

lordsmurf is offering me the following hardware options:

VCR - JVC SR-VS30U or the SR-V10U
TBC: DataVideo TBC-1000 or a rare green AVT-8710
Capture: ATI 600 USB or Tevion clone

So, lets say I want to start capturing with this hardware. Based on some articles I have read and some other posts on this forum I have seen, I am assuming it starts with connecting the VCR to the TBC unit, The TBC unit to the capture device, the capture device to my PC. Do I got this correct so far?

What capturing software should I use? I see VirtualDub mentioned a lot, so I downloaded that already. What other options are there? Are there filters or other things I should be setting before the captruing process starts? Or is all that apart of restoring once captured?

The PC I am using is a Windows 10 64bit machine I custom built for my project studio found here:
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/BqHhP6

My NLE of choice is Vegas Pro (currently using version 14). I use Reaper for audio DAW, Sound forge 11 for audio editing, and I have a large VST plugin collection. Most of them are from the company Waves. These are the tools I tend to currently use in digital workload environments.

I am assuming restoring footage comes after the capturing? If so, I'll start a topic on that in the restoring section when I am ready to move on from here.

Thanks for any and all help/advice!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty610 View Post
Please forgive the long post here, but I am trying to build up a little knowledge base for myself, and I figure the best way to do that is to start from the beginning and work my way up.
Yep, have to start learning somewhere.

Quote:
and although he will probably be answering many of them
Yes, always.

Quote:
My original interests in doing this is for my own collection of family videos that will benefit from a re-capture with higher end gear, but I also want to start offering the option as a service to locals. Small town doesn't have many tech savy people, and I get a lot of questions about video tape capturing.
The most important aspect here is to realize you'll be handling cherished memories and nostalgia for others, and you cannot screw it up. There's also the problem of tapes that are unlike anything you've seen before, with errors and quirks you've never faced. Having the best quality hardware will help reduce that problem.

Something else to remember: Any given S-VHS VCR will generally work well with 90%+, and two decks makes it 99%+. But you're starting out, so one thing at a time. Just know that, at some point, adding a deck will probably be inevitable. Consumer VCRs are honestly a 50-50 gamble. Lower-end S-VHS, and even better S-VHS with a not-best transport (SR-V101/9911U comes to mind) isn't quite 90%.

Quote:
but most of them are in EP/SLP mode. So most the tapes are 6 hours, full of footage.
The VCR you get because really important with EP. The specific decks I have will do well here, and then eventually you'll probably need/want to fortify a workflow with AG-1980P. JVC has better quality in general, but Panasonic more powerful (and with more issues/quirks to go along with that power). Those are the two you're going to want long-term.

Quote:
Much of the footage was copied from VHS-C tapes by using the old VHS-C to VHS adapter and connecting 2 various consumer grade VCRs together and dubbing them over.
This introduces nth gen issues, 2nd gen in this case. There was significant quality loss during the consumer copying, and the S-VHS VCR TBCs/DNR will help or remove those issues. It really depends on how much damage was done.

Quote:
Other footage was recorded by connecting a Sony HI8 camcorder to a consumer VCR and recording that way.
This isn't ideal, but Hi8/Video8 to VHS won't fair quite as bad as VHS>VHS (including C).

Quote:
Some of the footage is also SD MiniDV footage captured through RCA cables (this was from years ago before I knew much about technology - please be gentle).
Ouch. MiniDV via s-video is usually fine, as the camcorder optics didn't allow true 720x480 anyway. But composite really did some color/image damage to an already marginal 4:1:1 colorspace (which is fine for shooting, but still).

Can you not go back to original tape sources for all of this?

Quote:
So, lets say I want to start capturing with this hardware. Based on some articles I have read and some other posts on this forum I have seen, I am assuming it starts with connecting the VCR to the TBC unit, The TBC unit to the capture device, the capture device to my PC. Do I got this correct so far?
Correct.

Quote:
What capturing software should I use? I see VirtualDub mentioned a lot, so I downloaded that already. What other options are there?
Use VirtualDub. Nothing else is even worth bothering with or mentioning. The analog video capture world is small, with only a few possible options. And some "options" are unwise. It really depends on the capture hardware, most of which does want/need VirtualDub. An ATI AIW AGP/PCI or Hauppauge PCI PVR, for example, does well at MPEG capturing. But those non-AVI options are few and far, and almost always required Windows XP.

Quote:
Are there filters or other things I should be setting before the captruing process starts? Or is all that apart of restoring once captured?
Whatever hardware cannot fix (line/field TBC, S-VHS DNR, external framesync TBC, TBC proc amp if any, ES10 for tearing as needed), needs to be corrected in software. And that means Avisynth, VirtualDub again, maybe an NLE.

Quote:
The PC I am using is a Windows 10 64bit machine I custom built for my project studio
Again, fine.

Quote:
My NLE of choice is Vegas Pro (currently using version 14). I use Reaper for audio DAW, Sound forge 11 for audio editing, and I have a large VST plugin collection. Most of them are from the company Waves. These are the tools I tend to currently use in digital workload environments.
All fine.
Don't miss this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...io-filter.html

Quote:
I am assuming restoring footage comes after the capturing? If so, I'll start a topic on that in the restoring section when I am ready to move on from here.
Yep.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The most important aspect here is to realize you'll be handling cherished memories and nostalgia for others, and you cannot screw it up. There's also the problem of tapes that are unlike anything you've seen before, with errors and quirks you've never faced. Having the best quality hardware will help reduce that problem.
This is something I weighed heavy on already, hence why I feel starting out with my own tapes is the best way to go. get a feel for the work flow and make sure I am on point with everything.

Quote:
The VCR you get because really important with EP. The specific decks I have will do well here, and then eventually you'll probably need/want to fortify a workflow with AG-1980P. JVC has better quality in general, but Panasonic more powerful (and with more issues/quirks to go along with that power). Those are the two you're going to want long-term.
I have been eyeballing this player already. One of them being on that repair site we talked about. Just don't have another $600 plus to plunk down right now ha.

Quote:
Can you not go back to original tape sources for all of this?
Unfortunately, no. Much of these where family videos, nothing shot pro. So I ended up either recording over them once copied over to VHS, or they simply got lost in the shuffle. The only original tape sources I have are the 37 MiniDV tapes I shot on my Canon HV30. Those I capture via firewire with HDVSplit I believe. So of course, at that point I picked up more on the technology. Back in 2002 to 2005 I was not really in the know about the DV part of MiniDv. knew nothing about firewire transfer with them until most the tapes where not accessible. Ya live and learn I suppose

Quote:
Use VirtualDub. Nothing else is even worth bothering with or mentioning.
Good deal. Dully noted.

Quote:
And that means Avisynth, VirtualDub again
I have AVIsynth downloaded already, but that beast needs tackled a little later as I have not a clue on how to use it. I was pointed to it when looking for options to drop 180p60 footage from my NX100 camera to BlueRay compliant 60fps footage.

Thanks so much for reply! I really appreciate all the help thus far!
02-02-2018, 09:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

Avisynth is honestly a lesson for later. One step at a time. Right now, let's get you the capture hardware that you're going to need.

Same for hardware: one step at a time. Let's get you a workflow that covers most bases. The straggler projects, the ones that may need different hardware, can be addressed later.

Video is complex. Learn it slowly. Don't get ahead of yourself.

02-02-2018, 09:24 PM
Free Member

Yea, I have figured this out with almost anything tech related. I started slow with building PCs and doing band/audio recording in the studio. I still don't do the mixing of music tracks. Just the tracking of it, simply because I have not learned everything I need to to do it properly.

I will be in touch about that hardware. I am working a deal out with the Mrs. Might be a couple weeks, but I am pretty sure I can swing the full amount at once. I'm excited to get started!

-- merged --

Non-VHS related, but still capture related.

To my surprise, I ended up finding some Hi8 camcorder tapes today. My old Hi8 Sony Handy Cam died out years ago. I still have stashed away due to sentimental value, but it is deader then dead. Had a pretty hard life being on tours with the band I was in...

Anywho, I just landed a Sony DCR-TRV230 for a decent price. I have to wait for it to ship yet, but I have 30 days to give it a whirl and see how it behaves. This particular model has the iLink (firewire) option, as well as standard analog out. So, with it having the abilities to play standard Hi8 and Digital8, what is the best method to capture the footage? Is firewire the best for all, or should the standard analog tapes be captured with a capture card and TBC unit? And can the TBC unit you are offering be used, or is that for VHS only?

What kind of things should I look for as far as playback and how the heads are? If I can find a Hi8 cleaning cassette, is that the best option to clean it? Or is there a better manual/do it yourself approach?
02-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Free Member

Using the capture card with the TBC will be preferable, especially due to the way the colour information is dealt with in the NTSC DV format. NTSC DV uses 4:1:1 chroma subsampling, i.e the horizontal resolution of the colour (chroma) channels is 1/4 that of the luminance channels, and thus you end up losing some colour information. Additionally, the DV format does some light lossy compression similar to how JPEG images are compressed, while not massive, can be noticeable, especially on noisy sources.

The TBC can be used with any analog source, though it may not be as noticeable on the Hi8 camera as with VHS. Make sure you enable the internal TBC on the camera as well (it is on by default) for a super stable image. Those cameras also have a Digital Noise Reduction function, personally I didn't find it great on the DCR-TRV330 but YMMV.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: Liberty610 (02-04-2018)
02-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to check for that internal TBC function. The only Hi8 camera I had was before digital came into play. I think I bought in 1998. It was a Sony Handycam, but I have no idea what model it was off the top of my head.

Any suggestions on maintaining the camera? Is there anything special I should do with it when I first get it? I have Hi8 tapes here, I figured the first thing is to pop one in and give it a run to see how she plays. But head maintenance and what not.... I see a few cleaning tapes online are still available, but I also see where sometimes those kind of tapes can cause extra wear and tear on the heads; this true?
02-04-2018, 11:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Watch for sticky Hi8 tapes. I've not seen any, hope I never do, but several posts in here. Unlike VHS, it isn't really age, but lousy video stock used by Sony. It was seemingly always gooey.

Don't use "cleaning tapes" for anything. Those are abrasive, cloth (!!!), and ruin heads.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Liberty610 (02-05-2018)
02-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Free Member

Thanks lordsmurf.

So, I'm assuming that Vdub using AVI capture is best for VHS AND hi8 through analog? What about 8 digital? Would you still capture those via analog as well? Or over FireWire?
02-06-2018, 09:03 PM
Site Staff | Video

DV recorded 720x480.
s-video has max resolution of about 500x480.

But consumer DV camcorders do not resolve detail at 720x480. The lenses/otpics simply were not that good. Consumer/low-end glass/optics is a % of the clarity you'll get with pro glass. And even then, pro gear doesn't always resolve at 100% theoretical detail in all shooting conditions.

I find that many DV cameras look no better than S-VHS or Hi8. I'd go one further, and suggest that many camcorder lens in DV cameras were simply adapted lens from S-VHS/Hi8 cameras.

When the source was consumer DV camcorders, s-video via analog capture doesn't appear much difference, it at all, than firewire transfer.

So given that, I have no problems transferring DV/Digital8 via quality analog methods.

In fact, due to colorspace compression, sometimes DV actually looks worse than Hi8/S-VHS.

02-07-2018, 05:51 PM
Free Member

Thanks again for more input, lordsmurf!

I have downloaded VirtualDub. It's in a zip file, so when I am using it, should I create a new folder (say, on my desktop) and extract all the files in the zip file to it? Or do I run the .exe file right out of the zip file? I have Winrar installed, and that is what handles my zip files, so for good measure I made a Virtualdub folder on my desktop and extracted all the files to it and opened the /exe file from there.

When I opened it up, I looked around the settings and captured a little bit of avi video with it using the screen capture option. I only got one corner of the screen to capture, but I did get it to work. I am sure there are settings to expand to the full screen? I didn't play around with it too much, but I did capture with it real quick.

Are there extra downloads I should be looking at in terms of capturing solid AVI files with it? Like any kind of codecs or anything? I saw Huffyuv AVI mentioned, but I was having an issue finding where the download was.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it.

I've never used this program before, but I figured since it was the one suggested, I should start to get to know it a little bit now. A friend of mine is going to loan me his Happauge Live USB 2 device this weekend, so I thought I could start practicing some basic captures with it using my current consumer grade VCR to get the hang of capturing with Virtualdub. Would that be a good practice to start on? I noticed the Live 2 USB was in your suggested list if the ATI USB option was not available.
02-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
I've never used this program before, but I figured since it was the one suggested, I should start to get to know it a little bit now.
There is an updated and very detailed VirtualDub capture guide here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: Liberty610 (02-07-2018)
02-07-2018, 11:24 PM
Free Member

Oh awesome! Thanks! I'll start tackling this after work. I appreciate it!

So after digging around on other parts of the forums here and learning about the importance of TBC, I came across an interesting thread that mentioned using a DVD recorder's built in TBC as a pass-through option on captures. I know this is not 100% ideal and a stand alone TBC is best, but I think this DVD recorder's TBC is how I currently have my VHS collection archived without as much image issues as I was originally facing when trying to capture the footage directly to my PC back in the day.

I think it was in 2006; out of frustrations with bad captures to my Pinnacle Studio 8/9 capture card, I purchased a DVD recorder - The Panasonic DMR-ES15. I remember I purchased it because I was having issues with dropped frames and bouncing images whenever I tried to capture videos directly to the PC, and I was hoping to get the footage to DVD without these issues so I could stop the wear and tear on the tapes. Looking back on it now, I realize the issues I was having during the capture process was because of the lack of a TBC unit.

The 30+ VHS tapes I have mentioned earlier in this thread have not been played much, if at all, since 2006 when I used them on the DVD recorder. They are currently resting in a closet inside a couple of the classic pull-out drawer style VHS holders. All the footage from these tapes, however, is in my NAS storage unit in my digital media archive. I archived the footage (and I see now; the wrong way) by using the the DVDs I got from the Panasonic recorder.

When I recorded those tapes to the DVDs, I did so by connecting my Sony VHS deck (consumer model) to the recorder and copied all the tapes directly to DVD (sp/2 hour mode). Took over 120 single layer discs I believe. A few years later when I started to get more into heavy media usage on PC and had the hard drive space to do it, I ripped those DVDs into my PC using a program called VOB2MPG, which gave me the footage in mpeg2 files. I separated all the footage by date in Vegas Pro, matched the render settings to the current specs that the files VOB2MPG gave me had, and then rendered/named each video by the date they were recorded. Took me MONTHS to complete. (I guess I get to do it all over again.... )

I still own the Panasonic DVD recorder. In fact, it's near perfect condition, as I never really used it after capturing the VHS tapes years ago. So, this weekend when I receive the Happauge Live 2 device for my test captures I want to do (so I can get a feel for Virtualdub), could I use the DVD recorder as a pass-through a get some sort of TBC out of it?
02-09-2018, 03:20 PM
Site Staff | Video

The DMR-ES10 and ES15 have passthrough ability, and act as framesyncs. But not really external framesync TBCs.

There does appear to be some limited line timing corrections, performed especially at the top of a frame. And it a heavy-handed timing filter, which works to our benefit for remove tearing.

But an external TBC regenerates all-new timing data. The ES10/15 merely make the existing data behave. Framesyncs merely sync the source without correction, and the only real correction was the heavy-handed line timing.

Now a output signal is fairly clean due to frame syncs, but some dirty data still passes. And the ES10/15 does that solely due to Macrovision, an artificial video error. So legit non-fake errors can pass as well. And that causes dropped frames, etc.

So the ES10/15 doesn't act as TBC, and any capture issues are 50/50.

The other issue is that it's not transparent. The ES10/15 touches luma and causes posterization. When used to remove tearing, it's an acceptable tradeoff. When the source tape was fine, not so much. (Note: All TBCs have some degree of processing noise, often requiring closely staring at test patterns, and noting that wiring can affect quality. But the ES10/15 somewhat crosses the line in acceptable vs. not in the noise area.)

I realized more than a decade ago that "TBC" was a wide term that encompassed many things. More often than not, it was just scrawled on a box by marketers, and is why DVD recorders and Canopus boxes advertise it.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Liberty610 (02-09-2018)
02-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I realized more than a decade ago that "TBC" was a wide term that encompassed many things. More often than not, it was just scrawled on a box by marketers, and is why DVD recorders and Canopus boxes advertise it.
I have read many of your posts/replies regarding this haha. I won't get you started on the topic again lol.

Like I said, I know it is not ideal, but for this weekend I just wanna put some of the current gear I have together to get a feel for Virtualdub and the overall capture process with it. I have been reading through the step by step thread that was linked earlier that you put together and it's help for sure. Thanks for the input!
02-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Yep, that will do what you want, for at least some projects.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Liberty610 (02-09-2018)
02-09-2018, 10:54 PM
Free Member

I am doing a Hi8 capture project this weekend. I have that going in another thread though, but I plan on doing both Firewire and Analog captures to get a feel for the differences between the DV and analog ordeals. Figured with it being analog, it could be a good starting point for some VHS training.
02-16-2018, 10:34 AM
Free Member

I have now received my Panasonic AG-1980, so I have started doing some captures. Financially I am strapped at this point, so a legit external TBC is not in my budget. I am currently using the DMR-ES15 as a pass through for my captures. I am going back and re-capturing all 30+ 6 hour VHS tapes I have of home movies. Not something I thought I would be doing again, but from what I have learned from this forum, I just can not settle for the compressed Mpeg2 files I have in my archive. Sanlyn has been giving me some pointers on capturing in my 8mm project thread. I have taken what I got from those replies and started to apply them to my VHS caps.

Quick question - at the button of the Vdub window in capture mode, what are the jitter and disp numbers for? Currentl, and from what I have seen when I check on my capture, they are showing 0ms for both. What do those two sections do/detect?

My current video I am capturing is going to be a challenge to restore I think. The VHS tape I am capturing from is not in bad shape, the 2nd or possibly 3rd generation copy TO the tape is what I think the problem is. All the VHS tapes I bought to put home movies on where brand new, recorded on once, and that was it. The only wear and tear they say after that was playback.

Back in the day when I was around 14 years old, my Grandma gave me a RCA VHS-C video camera that she bought back in 1993 -- the RCA CC180 (see attached picture). I didn't have a huge amount of tapes for the camera, so I was always dropping the tapes into a VHS-C adapter, throwing together 2 consumer VCRs, and once I copied them over, I ended up recording over the VHS-C tapes to reuse them. Rinse and repeat this quite a few times, and you can see where I started to have some pretty worn out VHS-C tapes that I was using to record with.

So now that I am attempting to capture these videos, there is some damage that I am sure can not be fixed.However, my goal is to learn how to clean them up as best as possible. I have taken a couple samples from the capture and uploaded them. I tried to pick the best portions of the video that shows some issues/damage. Not ALL of the video is as bad as these clips, but there are sections that are; tracking lines, bouncing picture ect. These were the two worse case scenarios I spotted thus far.

Some feedback on the actual capture is welcomed as well. Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (62.4 KB, 16 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: avi sample_01.avi (94.92 MB, 31 downloads)
File Type: avi sample_02.avi (79.61 MB, 14 downloads)
02-17-2018, 06:23 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Quick question - at the button of the Vdub window in capture mode, what are the jitter and disp numbers for? Currentl, and from what I have seen when I check on my capture, they are showing 0ms for both. What do those two sections do/detect?
They detect jitter and display/dropped frame problems. If they read 0, you're in good shape. If they rad more than 0, there's really not much you can do about it except check for a working tbc.

Quote:
My current video I am capturing is going to be a challenge to restore I think.
To say the least.

The plugin used for this is classed as a median filter, meaning a filter that averages several successful frames and figures out which parts are noise and which parts are missing, and interpolates new frames from that information. Needless to say it's a slow-running process, but it can make improvements (sometimes). With sample 1 you have periodic misplaced hopping frames that throw things off now and then. If you wanted to put in the time, you could manipulate those frame hops into something more level with the surrounding frames,although you might have a top/bottom border flash to contend with. With sample 2 the filter has a major problem: there are no clear frames with enough information to tell the filter where objects are supposed to be. The only "information" many frames share is more bad frames. So it's possible to make sample 1 look a little better (especially after the green color cast is removed), but sample 2 is a hopeless case because the filter has nothing to work with. The median filter does also denoise, revealing the posterizing effects from the original JVC players in NORM picture mode.

It looks as if these videos were misaligned when originally recorded. The only way to smooth the playback is to try to restore the original misalignment -- which isn't possible. You could try playing them in another VCR to see if anything improves, but the original alignment can't be duplicated.

Check the audio sync on this capture. It appears that audio seems a few frames ahead of the video.

Anyway, I did what I could. Unless someone invents a better median filter that can work with missing information, you're sort of stuck with some of this material. The FixRipsP2 filter in the scripts below is an .avs file that can be downloaded at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta...d-fixripsp2avs. A simple example of its use is here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post51522.

For sample 01.avi:
Code:
AviSource("E:\forum\faq\Liberty610\C\sample_01.avi")
ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
ContrastMask(enhance=2.5)
AssumeTFF()
SeparateFields().FixRipsP2().Weave()
FixChromaBleeding()
MergeChroma(aWarpSharp2(depth=20))
RemoveDirtMC(40,false)
GradFun2DBmod()
ConvertToRGB32(interlaced=true,matrix="Rec601")
Crop(8,0,-18,-14).AddBorders(14,6,12,8)
return last
VirtualDub color correction used ColorMill and gradation curves to add red and blue to the green image and to tame too-high upper mids a bit. You can see that the original input color during the old dupe was off base, and how correction changes the color of the recorded date/time stamp.

For sample 02.avi:
Code:
[AviSource("E:\forum\faq\Liberty610\C\sample_01.avi")
ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
AssumeTFF()
SeparateFields().FixRipsP2().Weave()
ConvertToRGB32(interlaced=true,matrix="Rec601")
Crop(8,0,-18,-14).AddBorders(14,6,12,8)
return last
No major color correction here except to reduce green, especially in the midtones.
The attached MPEGs were encoded for DVD with the free HCenc encoder.You need a high bitrate to handle severe camera shake and/or fast panning motion.

Attached Files
File Type: mpg sample1_DVD.mpg (9.18 MB, 19 downloads)
File Type: mpg sample2_DVD.mpg (8.77 MB, 6 downloads)
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: Liberty610 (02-17-2018)
02-17-2018, 06:29 AM
Site Staff | Video

I think you're doing something wrong with the capture. Let's verify your method.

1. Is the AG1980 TBC off, and the ES10 in the chain?

^ Answer this before we even bother to continue.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Liberty610 (02-17-2018)

Tags
analog to digital, vhs capture