Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-15-2018, 01:11 AM
Free Member

I'm working on capturing the video from my and my wife's old 8mm video tapes. I know mine are in Video8 format. She has no recollection of what hers are and we've never had the camcorder they were recorded on since we've been married.

If I remember correctly Video8, Hi8, and Digital8 could all use the same tapes, so there isn't a way to tell just by looking at them, that I know of.

My Sony camcorder no longer plays reliably, and I plan to purchase a replacement off of ebay. Assuming her tapes are Video8 or Hi8, I'd just output using the S-Video output. If, however, they are in Digital8 format, I need to make certain I purchase a Digital8 camcorder, and one that will also play Video8 and Hi8.

Is there any way to determine what format her tapes are in or should I just plan on purchasing a Digital8 format camcorder to play it safe?

Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-15-2018, 11:12 AM
Free Member

The only sure way is to try the tape in a player that can read it. You may be able to find a friend, neighbor or local videographer who has some legacy 8mm gear who might let you try the tapes. Video8/8mm was the most widespread and popular, Digital8 the least.

Hi8 recording required the use of Hi8 tape, so if the tape is not marked Hi8, it is very unlikely to be a Hi8 recording. Hi-8 was sensed by a deep hole in the cassette near the write protect tab.
The X in the pattern below is the Hi8 hole - shallow if 8mm tape, deep if Hi8 tape. (The W is the write protect sense hole.) However, Hi8 tape could be use to make a standard video8 recording so this is not an assured indication for a Hi8 format recording.

O W
X
O

Digital8 was introduced in about 1999 so any recordings made before that date would not be Digital8.

Digital8 recommended using Hi8 tape, but use of standard 8mm tape was also permitted, so that is not a reliable indicator that the recording is not Digital8 format. (But Digital8 was not very popular and was relatively short lived.)

IMO the best bet is get a Digital8 unit that can play all three formats. (Note: not all Digital8 camcorders had that capability - check the manuals/specs before you get one). It should offer better playback quality, and firewire capture if that interests you. (Buying used for an auction site is hit or miss, there is risk, many folks end up with unusable gear.)

I use a Sony GV-D200 Walkman for 8mm, Hi8, and D8 playback but camcorders are usually lower cost on the used market.

Good luck in your quest.
02-15-2018, 06:50 PM
Free Member

The system did not preserve the hole layout.

It should have looked like the following where the periods are just to maintain spacing:

O...W
...X...
......O