05-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Free Member

Hello. As the subject line says, when I launch WinDV, I get this message. It recognizes my camera. I've looked and looked on line, but no clear cut answers. Anyone here know a solution?

Windows 7 (64 bit) / Canon HV20

Thx,

Raspy
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Free Member

A quick update. Still have not figured out what's going on with WinDV- both on my W7 and XP computers. I get the error with two different FireWire cards. So I installed and so far at least have working HDVsplit! My "test" captured a .m2t file at 1440 x 1080. I am getting an error message "HDVSPlit can't find MPEG 1 audio decoder. Try to install and configure ffdshow. Audio is turned off." Should I install ffdshow or will something else (better) work?

Thx!
05-13-2014, 02:07 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

- Just from experienced, lots of odd things can happen in Windows 7. So that could be a problem.
- Have you ever used this computer's DV/IEEE1394 port? If not, then you don't know that it's good. That could be the problem.
- Or it could be the drivers.
- That it doesn't work on two computers could be related, or it could just be coincidence.

Your second post makes it sound as if MPEG is being transferred/captured. To me, that doesn't make any sense.

HDVsplit is an HDV utility that I've never used, and had never heard of until just now. (Not surprising, as I skipped HDV, as it was a goofy format. Not true HD, not really DV either.) If this is a plain HD camera, it may be trying to look for something that does not exist.

Not quite sure what to make of this one.

If none of it works anyway, I see know harm by installing ffdshow. What's the worst that can happen? (It still doesn't work! )

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
05-13-2014, 06:48 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the reply KP. The two PC's that I "tested" WinDV - one was a W7 OS (fresh instal) with a new PCIe FireWire card. The other pc was XP OS with a PCI FireWire card I had sitting around. I am pretty sure it is in good working order. What I think is the issue with WinDV (sorry if I don't explain this correctly) is that my tapes were taken with a canon HV20 (which is HD). I don't think WinDV can handle "HD"- or at least that's what I think. Some of my tapes are from my earlier canon Optura camera. Don't think that is HD. So once I find one of those tapes, I will test. Either way, it looks like HdvSPlit is working, and I read some recommendations to ignore the error warning I was getting about the no audio codec, and I did confirm the capture is in fact capturing the audio. I will do more testing!

-- merged --

We'll I guess I spoke too soon!! I have tried WinDV, HDVSplit, and Scenalizer to try and capture my DV & HDV tapes. I have not been able to get any one of them to work! Sometimes I can capture a tape, and sometimes (well most of the time I cannot). Sometimes when I do, it's just for a few seconds. Most times, the application cannot recognize the camera. I reboot, unplug the cable, turn the camera on and off. All of these actions in a different sequence. Is there anything that is more stable that will give me a good result- paid or otherwise?

Otherwise, my next shot is to pick up a 4pin to 4 pin FireWire cable and capture to my JVC DVD recorder. I'd hope I didn't have to do that, but this is getting very frustrating!
11-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Free Member

I'm digging up this old thread because I had the same problem.

1- The HV20 isn't detected at all in win7 when using a 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable but is detected when using a 4 pin to 6 pin cable.
2- The workaround is to shut down the HV20 and winDV. Launch winDV and then turn on the camera and in "video source" select "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR".
When turning on the HV20 before launching winDV, the camera will be recognized as "HV20" and bring the error message "error can't find dv output pin".
With "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR" as video source, winDV works fine.
02-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Free Member

Hi, for anyone who having problem with Firewire in "newer" windows OS.

you can look at.

https://www.studio1productions.com/A...Firewire-1.htm

But, what did the trick for me was...

After trying many "tricks" found over the internet to make my capture work on windows 7 I found a solution that may help others.

Basically there was a drivers missing called "ksthunk.sys" in the AV/C Tape Recorder/Player device.

ksthunk.jpg

If it's your case you can add it by accessing the "Imaging Devices" resgister key (see pictures)

To add it to the device you have to add in the register

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Here is a video explaining how to add the ksthunk.sys
The only difference in the video is the fix was targeted to the "sounds, video and game controllers" [4D36E96] instead of the "imaging drivers" [6BDD1FC6].

https://youtu.be/cn5VEFoAjVE

Good luck!

Attached everything for you. -LS

Attached Files
File Type: zip ksthunk-highres-images.zip (235.4 KB, 49 downloads)
File Type: mp4 How to fix.mp4 (22.95 MB, 52 downloads)
File Type: pdf Fixing FireWire Problems with Win7-8-10.pdf (74.9 KB, 64 downloads)
02-21-2018, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

By default, the HV20 will transcode footage depending on what mode it is set to. You need to manually set the camera to "DV" Mode off of the default setting of 'HDV" mode in order for the camcorder to appear in WinDV. The setting is buried in the menus, but the manual does have clear directions on how to switch everything over to DV mode.
02-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
By default, the HV20 will transcode footage depending on what mode it is set to. You need to manually set the camera to "DV" Mode off of the default setting of 'HDV" mode in order for the camcorder to appear in WinDV. The setting is buried in the menus, but the manual does have clear directions on how to switch everything over to DV mode.
thanks for the info but in my case it was to make Canopus ADVC300 or Edirol VMC-1 work on a win7 machine. I found the solution by comparing 2 computer (one on which I could capture vs the stubborn machine)
After many troubleshoting, that the one that did the trick and according to my reading over the internet, some poeples still looking for solution.

P.S. Thanks LS