digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   ATI 600 USB drivers and general recommended settings (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/8520-ati-600-usb.html)

billct97 02-27-2018 09:24 AM

ATI 600 USB drivers and general recommended settings

Hi, lots of frustration trying to get my workflow off the ground. I feel like I've tried (and read on this forum) everything (multiple PC's, drivers, settings, versions of VD, S-Video cables, etc...) and thought I had it figured out when I was told that having Audio Preview enabled in VirtualDub was causing dropped frames. Unchecking that fixed the dropped frames but now I have out of sync audio even when dropped is zero and inserted is zero or starts with maybe 15-20 and never increases. Most of my VHS tapes are off-air TV recorded at EP speed.

So I'm ready to start from scratch with a fresh install of Windows 7 and am looking for any and all suggestions of what you had to do to fix either out of sync audio issues or any suggestions on typical issues capturing VHS. It's been suggested that you have to try different drivers. Can anyone suggest where to get these drivers for the ATI 600 USB (I've tried a few but maybe I haven't found the right one?)

Workflow is a JVC-HRS9800 (with an AG-1980 from T. Grant on the way), DataVideo TBC-3000, ATI 600 USB, S-Video cables and an assortment of computers to choose from. I'd like to use my Lenovo W540 running Windows 10 but have had generally better results with an older Windows 7 laptop. I even have an old XPP Compaq W6000 workstation I could drag out.

Princester 02-27-2018 09:33 AM

If you haven’t found this already, here a link to download the ATI 600 CD and a guide to install the drivers provided by LordSmurf.
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...i-600-usb.html

sanlyn 02-27-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billct97 (Post 53087)
So I'm ready to start from scratch with a fresh install of Windows 7

Welcome to Windows 7
:mad4:

Quote:

Originally Posted by billct97 (Post 53087)
I even have an old XPP Compaq W6000 workstation I could drag out.

We're surprised you haven't already done that.

Did you see this settings guide? I'll bet you're using VDub defaults. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html

Try disabling some of the defaults. See Section 5: Capture (top menu) and scroll down to the Timing dialog window. The other sections are helpful, too.

Princester 02-27-2018 10:03 AM

I have recently tried install the ATI 600 usb on two different laptop with no success. With both laptops I ended up with Inserted Frames with default virtualdub timing settings. When I changed the timing settings to not insert frames and not to sync the video and audio, I ended up with audio and video out of sync.
But it has worked fine for me installed on a desktop with default virtualdub timings.

billct97 02-27-2018 10:16 AM

What OS on the desktop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princester (Post 53091)
I have recently tried install the ATI 600 usb on two different laptop with no success. With both laptops I ended up with Inserted Frames with default virtualdub timing settings. When I changed the timing settings to not insert frames and not to sync the video and audio, I ended up with audio and video out of sync.
But it has worked fine for me installed on a desktop with default virtualdub timings.

Princester 02-27-2018 10:23 AM

Windows 10 64 bit

billct97 02-27-2018 12:37 PM

When you say "default virtualdub timings" do you mean that you downloaded the .rar from the forums (with all filters) and used it without any changes or that you downloaded it from http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/ and used that as is?

Which of course brings up another question. Are others using the latest v1.10.4 from Sourceforge or the 1.9.11 with filters available on this forum? I know you can copy the filters over to v1.10.4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princester (Post 53091)
I have recently tried install the ATI 600 usb on two different laptop with no success. With both laptops I ended up with Inserted Frames with default virtualdub timing settings. When I changed the timing settings to not insert frames and not to sync the video and audio, I ended up with audio
and video out of sync.

Princester 02-27-2018 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by billct97 (Post 53101)
When you say "default virtualdub timings" do you mean that you downloaded the .rar from the forums (with all filters) and used it without any changes or that you downloaded it from http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/ and used that as is?

Which of course brings up another question. Are others using the latest v1.10.4 from Sourceforge or the 1.9.11 with filters available on this forum? I know you can copy the filters over to v1.10.4.

I am using 32 bit Virtualdub version 1.10.4 that was download from Sourceforge with the downloaded settings. I attached a image of the timings I am using.

Princester 02-27-2018 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Princester (Post 53102)
I am using 32 bit Virtualdub version 1.10.4 that was download from Sourceforge with the downloaded settings. I attached a image of the timings I am using.

I have added a picture of the driver version in the device manager that works for me.

sanlyn 02-27-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princester (Post 53102)

The settings you're using in your image of v.1.10.x are the same as the default settings in v.1.9.x and v.1.10.x.

The settings shown in the VirtualDub guide linked to earlier are the suggested settings for v.1.9x and v.1.10.x. The default setsettimngss are not recommended.

Did you notice that the timing options available for both versions of VDub are the same in both dialogs ? ? ?

No one here recommends v.1.0.x . It has always been reported as buggy. LS recommends to avoid it.

If you still have problems it indicates you have a Virtualdub-unfriendly OS with unspecified issues, which sometimes occurs. Windows 7 in particular has many complaints. If necessary use AmarecTV instead for capture.

billct97 02-27-2018 05:10 PM

Do you mean "No one here recommends v.1.10.x" ?

[QUOTE=sanlyn;53112]

No one here recommends v.1.0.x . It has always been reported as buggy. LS recommends to avoid it.

Princester 02-27-2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanlyn (Post 53112)
The settings you're using in your image of v.1.10.x are the same as the default settings in v.1.9.x and v.1.10.x.

The settings shown in the VirtualDub guide linked to earlier are the suggested settings for v.1.9x and v.1.10.x. The default setsettimngss are not recommended.

Did you notice that the timing options available for both versions of VDub are the same in both dialogs ? ? ?

If you still have problems it indicates you have a Virtualdub-unfriendly OS with unspecified issues, which sometimes occurs. Windows 7 in particular has many complaints. If necessary use AmarecTV instead for capture.

Thanks
I'm not having issues with capturing on my desktop, just on two different laptops I have.

billct97 02-27-2018 07:03 PM

Success! I re-imaged the Windows 10 laptop with an image created before the "Creators Update". Immediately shutoff the internet connection, copied over a fresh install of VirtualDub 1.10.4, installed the ATI 600 software from the forum rar files (same as the CD it came with), connected S-Video cables, TBC, VCR and on the first try zero dropped and zero inserted frames. Audio is perfectly in sync on playback as well. I tested with 3 different tapes (One a commercial movie, one an off-air SP and the third an off-air EP) and they all look good. If I had to make a guess at why the out of sync audio problems it might be that this laptop (and my desktop) have "virtual audio cable" software installed. Although not in use for anything to do with video capture maybe it has hooks where it was causing these problems. Now to move forward. Anyone care to offer a filters 101 lesson? I will start looking for that now.

sanlyn 02-27-2018 07:20 PM

One never can tell what "other" stuff is running on an OS. If you had actually been looking specifically for "something"under the hood that was interfering, you might never have found it, LOL! Good to see you've worked this out.

Princester 02-27-2018 09:41 PM

I'm glad you got it working as well.