03-23-2018, 01:52 PM
Free Member

I just got an ATI 600 USB and am trying it out. I installed the Vista drivers on Windows 10 but whenever I try to do a capture and connect to the device, it hangs and then my machine spontaneously reboots.

I have an older laptop with Windows 7 on it that I can try, but my preference would be the Windows 10 machine if it is at all possible. If the answer is no, I guess I can install Windows 7 on it and dual boot into it if I have to.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-23-2018, 02:18 PM
Free Member

If you figure it out, let me know. I'm having a similar issue with a Tevion card which is supposed to be a close relative of the ATI. Right now I have it working on an old XP machine, but I'd really like to be able to use it with my Windows 10 rackmount PC.
03-23-2018, 10:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
What you both have to remember is that every system differs.

I've used probably 50+ systems on XP, and have a good idea of different sorts of install/use issues I'll run into. Even my Vista/7 knowledge is decent, also dozens of systems. But Win 8/10 usually requires very hacky methods. Every OS since XP has needed more and different workarounds. We have confirmations on the forum, for Win10 install/use, and I've managed to install/test on my own (better than average) tablets. Unfortunately, there may be more issues we've not run into, not yet reported. So it'll take some research on your part.

The first suspect is always Service Packs. So start there.

I'm honestly not sure what SP Win10 is on, as I really do hate the OS for desktops/laptops. It's a tablet OS retrofitted for other uses. (Win8 was worse, because it was tablet+desktop Frankenstein mess.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Free Member

Okay, I'm wondering if my ATI 600 USB is defective. I tried it on Windows 10 and it caused the machine to reboot. I then tried it on a Windows 7 laptop and got a BOSD.

I did a fresh install of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 on the laptop and got another BOSD.

-- merged --

Never mind, it's working like a charm on XP. The problem was between the keyboard and the chair.

-- merged --

I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 on my laptop because I prefer to run an operating system that's still in support so I can connect to the network, etc. Plus, Windows 7 just runs better on this laptop than XP. It's still working and capturing well.

-- merged --

I went back to the Windows 10 machine I'd originally tried, because the problem that was causing BSOD was me selecting the wrong device. I hadn't noticed that ATI TV Wonder was listed and I'd been selecting Microsoft WDM.

So, while I haven't attempted an actual capture yet, the Windows 10 machine is working as far as I can select the ATI TV Wonder and set source to s-video and I can see the video playing fine on the screen.

I'll be trying to do some captures there and report back.

-- merged --

Okay, check that. Windows 10 captures have lots of stutters in the video.
Going back to Windows 7.
03-25-2018, 07:58 PM
Site Staff | Video

Yes, you must be really careful with the VirtualDub settings. It sometimes takes patience.

And if you're getting stutters, it may be related to the display settings. Again, every system is different, and video can be very hardware dependent. It can be affected by graphics card, which affects the preview.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: archivarious (09-08-2020)
03-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Free Member

I did a capture on my Windows 7 system. When I play the video back on that machine the first ten minutes or so plays and then it goes all weird with flashing colors.

The full file plays on another machine. I suspect this is related to a codec issue. I had similar when I was capturing with my video camera pass through to WinDV.

I am compressing with Huffy, but it's odd how 10 minutes will play fine and the it goes weird. You'd think it would be all or nothing.

Any ideas?
The following users thank RockandRoller70 for this useful post: archivarious (09-08-2020)
03-25-2018, 08:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

It does sound like a codec issue.

And yes, I'd also think it'd be all-or-nothing. It is odd.

Another potential is that the file is corrupted on the drive. The capture drive could be overly fragmented, or have bad sectors. It's not so bad as to outright fail, just bad enough to cause issues with normal read/write. Been there, seen it. It can happen. Not likely, but possible.

03-25-2018, 08:28 PM
Free Member

Well, the file is playing fine when I play it on my Windows 10 machine. It's the machine I use for processing so no bug deal. Are there any recommended codecs to install?
03-25-2018, 08:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

It may be an issue of what to UNinstall on that system.

Windows XP had DXman, and I forget offhand what the Windows 7 x64 equivalent is. I have it installed on one of my systems, but forget which one, and name of it.

03-26-2018, 12:03 AM
Free Member

I'm beginning to suspect it's a hardware issue because it happened on two different operating systems (Win 7/10) and two different captured file types (MiniDV via WinDV / ATI 600 USB Virtual Dub).

Luckily, I have multiple machines and can work around it.

-- merged --

Seems to be a VLC issue because when I play the files in Windows Media Player, they are fine on the impacted machine.

I've noticed the recent releases of VLC seem to be a step back in stability and behavior for me, so this may just be another example.
04-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Free Member

I am having similar problems. I had it working before on Windows 10, but it seems the Fall Creator's update is incompatible with the emBDA64.sys driver. It causes a BSOD if you try to start a capture. I have not found a workaround yet, and i don't have the desire or luxury to downgrade to WinXP or Win7. I might have to find a different capture card all-together that has a windows 10 driver, or one that doesn't bsod
04-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Site Staff | Video

Good luck with finding a card that works on Win10 and is a quality card. That's a unicorn.

The further you get from XP, the more trouble you'll have.
And Win10 is a tablet OS that also works on desktops.

04-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Free Member

Im fine with Win10, its still Windows, even the new WSL is pretty great for dev work. Either way, I also just attempted the INF editing method I found in another thread, doesn't work as it complains about hashes not matching the CAT file. Which in Windows 10 you can't bypass anymore. Trying to see if I can generate a new one or bypass the CAT signature to install the driver.

-- update --

Actually I found the problem. VirtualDubMod was not happy with video capture. When I used VirtualDub proper, everything worked fine and no more Blue Screen. Using the drivers from the diamond website.
04-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Only use VirtualDub 1.9.x for capture, as everything both newer and older has issues.

VirtualDubMod and VirtualDubFilterMod/VirtualDub2 especially have issues.

The new VirtualDubFilterMod/VirtualDub2 also has processing problems, certain filters don't work right. The resize/crop is especially a problem.

11-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Free Member

i just find those , im using latest win 10 enterprise, working like a charm.

im using arcsoft showbiz to use usb tuner, thats come with some old wintv installations cd.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-10-2018 (235827).jpg (77.2 KB, 115 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: rar tv wonder usb 600 working win10.rar (11.20 MB, 192 downloads)