digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Green garbage in captured video? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/8636-green-garbage-captured.html)

plaxamate 04-13-2018 07:22 PM

Green garbage in captured video?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I just started capturing. My workflow is as follows:

JVC SR-V10U -> TBC-1000 -> Tevion USB (for VHS)
or
Sony DCR-TRV240 -> TBC-1000 -> Tevion USB (for 8mm)

No matter which workflow I use, I get some kind of noise interference at the bottom of my screen (see pictures attached). This noise occurs randomly and never for more than 1 frame. Otherwise, the picture and audio are perfect with no dropped frames and no audio sync errors. I looked for others that may have had this problem, but I do not see it anywhere. The noise also appears if I'm not even playing a tape. Would someone please help me to figure this out?

Thanks!

Plaxamate

lordsmurf 04-13-2018 07:35 PM

It looks to be a codec or driver issue. :hmm:

You tested the VCR and camera, and no change. So neither are it. That leaves TBC and capture card.

TBC is unlikely, but the test is easy: watch workflow. VCR/camera > TBC > TV. (And if it actually is the TBC, it's always a power issue. The PSU for DataVideo TBCs fail eventually.)

Assuming both VCR/camera and TBC are fine, you're left with capture card. The card itself is fine, so it's down to the install and system drivers. And at this point, more details on computer are needed (OS? for capture only? etc)

You also must be sure the hardware is on decent-sized UPS. "Surge protectors" are worthless, do nothing. Those are just strips with a fuse, weenie little things. What you're using for VCR/TBC is pro gear, and it expects UPS. The VCR has a fuse to "protect" (not really), TBCs do not.

plaxamate 04-13-2018 09:21 PM

Thanks!

Ok, not tbc. OS is xp sp2. Capture only. I had driver issues to start with (original cd drivers wouldn't work), so found updated ones that I thought did. No anti-virus even installed. I'm willing to try other drivers if you have them. I had to roll back to sp2 from sp3 to get cd drivers to go through, but hardware wouldn't install properly, hence the search for other drivers. Using virtualdub to capture.

Further to the driver issue, I just completely bypassed the tbc in the workflow and got the same result.

lordsmurf 04-13-2018 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaxamate (Post 53749)
Further to the driver issue,

Attached is a file, but you also need to understand what is happening here:

The video capture chipsets in eMPIA-based USB cards are slaved to the eMPIA chip that acts as a USB bridge. So all you actually need is a working bridge driver. (That's also why a lot of people think all USB cards are "the same", such as an EZcap/Easycap aka EZcrap, which uses the inferior Philips video decoder.)

The audio chips are also slaved to the eMPIA bridge, and most use an eMPIA audio driver. (Some also use an AC97 driver, but those cards are not usually desirable.)

The attached eMPIA drivers are the newest available (2012), and are known to work with Windows 7/8/10, using a a simple force-install for the audio drivers. But for XP and Vista, it should be automatic. These are several years newer than the CD drivers that came with the card (2007).

True ATI 600 USB cards use custom drivers from ATI, and is one of the few eMPIA-based cards not using eMPIA drivers. (Install is easier, but an audio registry hack is required due to oversight by ATI.) And no, you can't use ATI drivers on non-ATI cards, or vice versa. ATI probably made a slight tweak to the eMPIA bridge to prevent it -- something they're also known for with ATI MMC (which probably could have worked with some other MPEG cards!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by plaxamate (Post 53749)
I just completely bypassed the tbc in the workflow and got the same result.

Duh. :smack:

That's an even easier test. Just remove the TBC from the workflow, and go direct VCR>card.

And with that, it's clearly time for me to retire for the night! :laugh:

plaxamate 04-14-2018 01:25 PM

New driver works like a charm. Thanks much!