06-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Free Member

Hi all,

Thanks to LordSmurf, I'm now experimenting with an ATI USB 600 and, crucially, a TBC that is doing a good job of avoiding dropped frames when I'm capturing old VHS tapes.

I'm curious about one thing. I read everywhere here that the best way to remove 'waste' footage from the start and end of the clip, and to crop it to avoid black lines and distortion at the bottom of the frame, is to use VirtualDub. Keep it Lossless until you have to, right?

So I'm doing that. I'm in Full Processing Mode in VirtualDub and I take my raw footage in huffyuv lossless AVI - about 30 minutes and 12Gb - and cut a few seconds off the start and a few more off the end. Then I crop, cutting even numbers of pixels to give me a nice, clean image.

Then I make sure huffyuv is selected as compression and audio is a direct stream copy and I save AVI. It doesn't give me any complaints, no errors, but the final file size is 26Gb!

Any reason why this would be?

Discy
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-09-2018, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
But did you check that output "Color depth..." in the video menu was set for YUY2 and not the RGB default? To do that cropping and whatnot in VirtuaLDub your video has to be converted to RGB.

And, no, cropping off head-switching noise and restoring the borders in Virtualdub is not the "best" way. You can do it in Avisynth without colorspace conversions or extra masking of the your image. But if you like Virtualdub, keep it that way.

Last edited by sanlyn; 06-09-2018 at 05:56 PM.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (06-10-2018)
06-10-2018, 12:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Good idea on RGB vs. YUV for the file size. I'd not considered it. That would sort of make it like 4:4:4, and therefore about 33% larger file size. If Huffyuv YUV is about 35gb/hour, so 16gb/half-hour, and the file is about 26gb for half-hour, the math tracks. That may be it. Maybe.

I really don't have preference for VirtualDub vs. Avisynth for matting overscan. I'm not a anti-conversation for colorspace, however just preference to keep it to a minimum.

As always, double-check every single VirtualDub setting. Odds are, you made a simple mistake. Don't feel bad, because sometimes I do it too.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs