digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Running two TBCs in series together? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/8661-running-two-tbcs.html)

MikeyMike 04-23-2018 05:48 AM

Running two TBCs in series together?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to archive a lot of PAL VHS video to digital format in the best quality possible, as we all do.

My source VCR is a JVC HR-S6970 feeding SVideo into a FOR.A FA-330P TBC then into a BMD Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. I have a dedicated USB 3.0 card in the i7 PC and I have no problems capturing video or audio using Vegas Pro capture or any other capture software.

The FA-330P is doing a great job of frame syncing video with no audio delay issues even on very damaged tapes.

The issue I am having is wiggly edges on some video, especially with content that has rapid light level changes such as bright explosions or music video with strobing lights. The brighter the light change, the crazier the wiggling edges are.

I was told that the FA-330P does not correct horizontal line sync issues but a CBT-100 / AVT 8710 will. If this is the case, can I run both of these TBCs in series - one to do the frame syncing and the other for horizontal line correction?

Many thanks for a great forum.

lordsmurf 04-23-2018 05:57 AM

No.

You can chain a line TBC with a frame sync TBC, because the functions are different. But you can't chain two lines, or two framesync. For example, you can't use both JVC S-VHS VCR line + Panasonic DRM-ES10 quasi-line on passthrough. Nor can you run Cypress/AVT to For.A units.

In fact, that wouldn't solve you issue anyway.

You need a better JVC and/or an ES10. Lines TBCs fix wiggling, not external frame TBCs.

MikeyMike 04-28-2018 01:51 AM

Thanks Lord :salute:

The ES10s are as scarce as hen's teeth at the moment. There is a Pana E55 available though.

Would JVC -> E55 -> FA330P -> BMD Shuttle be a good work flow option?

sanlyn 05-07-2018 07:30 AM

The two legacy units for effective pass-thru tbc are the ES10 and the ES15, which have very similar tbc circuits. Anything else will be far less effective or more likely won't work for pass thru at all.

MikeyMike 06-12-2018 02:59 AM

Thanks to those who helped, I managed to find 2 x PAL ES15s and both with remotes and in perfect working order. The picture is a lot cleaner now and the wiggly lines are virtually gone:D Infact, recording straight to DVD in XPmode is pretty good for longer clips that don't need editing.

Just one more question, I have the NR filter switched off but there is a comb filter option as well. Is this filter in the pass through circuit and should it be enabled?

sanlyn 06-12-2018 04:29 AM

The comb filter should be activated.