05-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Free Member

Hi there, I have some minidv cassettes I need to transfer.
Tried to transfer with Scenealyzer and WinDV. All, but the first had datestamp, so could split them automatically as I wanted. But the first just come out 0001, as one big file.
On the Sony camera, it also does not show any date information.
But the timecode clearly resets when i ffw where there are scenes changes.
I checked the fiels in DV-date after, and the timecode resets are preserved in the files.
Any ideas how to split this properly?

Ive tried every kind of settings in Scenalyzer and WinDV.
The closest is Optical scene splitting in Scenalyzer.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I've seen something like this myself, but never tried to fix it. Not sure what's going on to cause it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: knumag (05-16-2018)
05-08-2018, 11:22 AM
Free Member

But there has to be a way to fix it right? Since the information is there when you open the file with DVdate it should be possible.
I´m very new to avisynth and ffmpeg, but I´m guessing it can be used to make a script to do this automatically, where you first output the timecode to a txt file and use that to cut the file losslessly.
I´ve scoured the net for solutions, but every result is about datestamp, not timecode as I understand it..
05-10-2018, 07:23 AM
Premium Member

Not a great solution and long shot at best but Ulead's old pro video editor used to have split scene function based on the content, I'd assume it was analyzing the frames for drastic changes. Worked reasonably well on VHS captures.

The pro editor was abandoned when they were acquired by Corel and many of the features were folded into VideoStudio. Download the trial version and see if it has it.
The following users thank thecoalman for this useful post: knumag (05-16-2018)
05-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Free Member

if you've got a Mac lying around there's a free version of Lifeflix MiniDV importer.
The following users thank robertthird for this useful post: knumag (05-16-2018)
05-12-2018, 01:56 PM
Free Member

*nix dvgrab could work. If you have linux lying around or maybe use virtual machine or LiveCD/USB.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FireWire/dvgrab

I just discovered it recently and it's by far the craftiest dv capture tool I've used.
The following users thank juhok for this useful post: knumag (05-16-2018)
05-16-2018, 04:33 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Not a great solution and long shot at best but Ulead's old pro video editor used to have split scene function based on the content, I'd assume it was analyzing the frames for drastic changes. Worked reasonably well on VHS captures.

The pro editor was abandoned when they were acquired by Corel and many of the features were folded into VideoStudio. Download the trial version and see if it has it.
Scenalyzer has this same option, this is what I´m using, on the lowest setting.
Not sure what filtered and not filtered means in Scenalyzer, maybe someone does?
Very often I get way too many scenes, when theres a lot of movement for example, and its such a hazzle to put it all together again afterwards.
What I want is a way to read the timecode from DV-files, so you can split it when the timecode resets to 0.
I´m sure Avisynth or FFmpeg can be used for this in some manner, maybe someone can help?
The information is there, so don´t understand why it shouldnt be possible.

All DV-software only splits by datecode as I understand, some write timecode, but actually mean datecode.
Have a lot of these cassettes without datecode, seems it might be because the date wasnt set on the camera before capture.
05-16-2018, 11:48 AM
Free Member

ffmpeg has scene change detection so it should be pretty easy to use that in combination with stream copy.
The following users thank juhok for this useful post: knumag (05-16-2018)
05-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhok View Post
ffmpeg has scene change detection so it should be pretty easy to use that in combination with stream copy.
I´ve been experimenting with this, but it seems its mostly made to make a mosaic of images from different scenes from one file, i.e dvd-menues or torrent info for a movie. I have not gotten FFmpeg to work as optical scene detection in that way or to get it to split scenes. If you dont agree, please give me some commands to check out.
Thanks for reply!
05-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Free Member

Indeed there doesn't seem to be one command for all of this.

I will have more time to tinker with this later. For now it seems that we need to get the timestamps:
https://superuser.com/questions/8195...cene-detection

Then convert them to a format understood by ffmpeg segmenter: https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-format..._002c-ssegment