digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Best VCR with s-video output, or advice to adjust playback quality? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/8701-best-vcr-video.html)

crissrudd4554 05-14-2018 06:19 PM

Best VCR with s-video output, or advice to adjust playback quality?

7 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. I had mentioned in an earlier thread that I had been doing capturing on 1999 General Electric VCR. Recently I purchased a JVC Super-VHS ET S7800U VCR. One of the reasons I did this was to try the S-Video and TBC options. The VCR seems to be functioning properly but I’m a bit disappointed with the playback quality. It seems to have ghosting effects and just looks smeary. IMO it looks worse than the captures I was doing with the GE. I tried both S-VIDEO and Composite on the JVC and got it both times and it even appears when I watch VHS as is. Here’s some screen grabs to demonstrate what I mean. First was captured a few months back on the GE VCR. Second same tape but on the JVC. Sorry if they're not the best examples. In the third and fourth images look at the man's face.

Attachment 8548
Attachment 8549
Attachment 8550
Attachment 8551

Both instances were done composite with WinTV 850 as the capture device, Panasonic DVD recorder as a TBC, and Roxio NXT 4 as the capturing program. I should note though the first example was captured on a circa 2009 HP laptop while the second on a Dell Latitude that I purchased about two months ago. Here's three other examples from another tape although I don't have a capture from the same device as these to do a comparison but you clearly see the effects here.

Attachment 8552
Attachment 8553
Attachment 8554

Are there settings in the VCR that could minimize this?? I'm not 100% sure it’s capture device related but since it basically appears that way in regular playback ie watching the tape on TV through the JVC it might not be. Should I possibly try removing or minimizing them in an editing program??

Is it possible I should try a different VCR?? Someone on another site mentioned the Panasonic AG-1970. Should I choose a different model?? I did use the section on this site of recommended VCRs when I chose the JVC but yeah the qualities disappointing. Anyways thank you for your time everyone.

lordsmurf 05-15-2018 09:28 AM

That's not normal.

It looks to be a compounded error, caused mostly by the DVD recorder and capture hardware/software.

Let's look at this more in depth...

- Which exact DVD recorder? Only the ES10 and ES15 can be quasi-used in place of TBC, mostly functioning as line, some frame sync. The JVC VCR TBC and ES10/15 clash. If JVC on, Panasonic does nothing. If JVC off, Panasonic can help -- meaning the better VCR is only useful for the transport (assuming that model is known for a stable one). A normal external framesync TBC would be 100% compatible with JVC TBC.

- Which exact Hauppauge 850 USB? There were 3 distinct models, and is a reason it's not a suggested card. Without breaking open the card, you'll never know which it is. The first is sort-of okay (not ideal) and similar to the ATI 600 USB, and the latter two are blah. Hauppauge had a bad habit of sharing model names for cards that really had nothing in common.

- Never use Roxio anything. Only use VirtualDub for capture.

crissrudd4554 05-16-2018 10:08 AM

I have the DS15. I should mention though that for both of those captures the TBC on the VCR itself was turned off. When I initially tested the VCR I tried the built in TBC, video stabilizer, and without either. All three instances I got jittery video so ultimately I went back to the DVD recorder but left the TBC on the VCR as well as the video stabilizer off.

The Device is WinTV-HVR 850. Keep in mind though that isn’t my main go to device. I was just using using it in this instance. Those last three images were actually captured on a VIDBOX03.

Should I possibly tinker with the VCR’s settings because even in normal playback it basically looks like that??

lordsmurf 05-16-2018 07:25 PM

If both capture cards (hardware) are alike, then you need to look at software.
Do tests again, but with VirtualDub.

crissrudd4554 05-16-2018 07:35 PM

I’ll try it but again I must reiterate that even in regular playback the image still essentially looks like that. That’s why my suspicions are turned towards the VCR.

lordsmurf 05-16-2018 07:41 PM

It may be the VCR then. :unsure:

Again, what you're seeing is not normal. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing anything like that.

You may need another unit. (FYI: I have some available in the marketplace.)

- What did it cost you?
- How long ago did you get it?
If your current deck came from eBay, I'd not be surprised. Most of that stuff, even the "tested" and "works fine" decks are crap with issues. It's essentially a big flea market, not a video store staffed by professionals.

crissrudd4554 05-16-2018 08:11 PM

Well as I am brutally honest, I got it used off eBay for $230. (BOOOOOOOOOO!!!) I know, I know. :smack:

But I mean hey I am trying and again I did use the guide on this site in deciding on this one. I mean granted I didn’t tinker with the settings aside from the TBC and Stabilizer but when I played back a tape on it normally I just couldn’t help think that ‘yeah the General Electric in my bedroom plays back better than this.’

lordsmurf 05-17-2018 05:30 AM

And that's sad, because GE was probably one of the worst models of VCR. The only VHS VCRs really worth using are certain Sharp, some Toshiba, maybe Sony. By the 90s, GE was a hollow brand name used by an Asian company (like Funai in Taiwan), not actually a General Electric product.

That JVC should be acting better than it does. If it really is the VCR at fault, and you can see the problem direct on a TV (thus eliminating any possible capture card/software issues), then it looks as if the RAM bugger is bad. That's not too dissimilar from the flawed black AVT-8710 problems.

I'd want to see actual clips, not screen shots, but I'm betting it's presenting as ghosting. Correct?

Again if you want another known-good JVC, I have some.
But if you want a Panasonic, and not JVC, know the AG-1980 is nice. And AG-1970 is almost as nice. If you want a good 1970, contact laserer. He still has it, as far as I know. And it's a very good price, $495, for a fully refurb'd (recapped) unit.

crissrudd4554 05-17-2018 07:03 AM

I actually have a Sony at my other place but I don’t believe it has an S-Video option. It’s from 2004 IIRC.

I’ll try to get some clips with VDub and send them your way.

I’ll swing that user a message. Does he or anyone have the 1980 should I not go with the 1970??

lordsmurf 05-17-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 (Post 54220)
Does he or anyone have the 1980 should I not go with the 1970??

A refurb 1980 will cost about $700 (TGrant has a couple in stock), so the $500 he wants for that 1970 isn't bad at all.

The 1980 is a bit better, but not $200 better, if conditions are equal. If I was in the market for a refurb Panasonic, I'd probably get that 1970.

What you never want to do is buy non-refurb. If on eBay, verify what that means, and what it entailed. If caps weren't replaced, and TBC level not tweaked, it's not a true refurb.

crissrudd4554 05-17-2018 09:54 AM

If this is what you were referring to then it appears that VCR is no longer available. :(

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...asonic-ag.html

sanlyn 05-17-2018 11:25 AM

T. Grant has AG-1970 and more. Recommended dealer. https://www.tgrantphoto.com/sales/in...ommercial-vcrs

crissrudd4554 05-17-2018 12:04 PM

Thank you!

lordsmurf 05-17-2018 02:07 PM

Again, contact laserer about his AG-1970. To my knowledge, he still has it.
The ad was only "ENDED", not "SOLD".