Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-31-2018, 02:51 AM
Free Member

Hello everyone!

I have a Philips VCR with S-video out and I am looking forward to transferring my private collection of VHS to PC.

I have bought the Elgato Video Capture device and it turned out to be a complete waste of time and money. The Elgato device captures the vhs in a very very random quality, most often it results that a 10 minute video lasts about a minute etc. Colors get distorted and whenever the capture is longer than 1 hour, the software stops responding during the video conversion... I tried it on 2 machines, even reinstalled one with a fresh Windows 7 installation - but it did not help at all. However, the playback in Elgato software always looks fine! There is no problem with colors, with audio & video sync, there are no blurs and video looks crystal clear as for the vhs Whenever I press on start recording it gets a lot worse, there is lots of "no signal" and so on.

I am completely dissatisfied with the Elgato and I am giving up on this idea. This time I want to do this properly! After having made some research, it seems that I should let go of the idea of using Windows 10 for this and any modern software. So I should simply go back in time

I was looking for the ATI 600 USB devices but these are nowhere to be bought. I can see, that ATI All-In-Wonder cards are the best solution possible. I can buy either the X800 or 9200 (both AGP) - which one should I go for? Also, I do not understand how the VCR is then connected to the card - are there any adapters needed?

Also, I will build a PC with Windows XP for that - can you provide me with any hints with the PC's specs? Any particular parts that are worth buying so it would work flawlessly? Any examples would be appreciated
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-31-2018, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misieeq View Post
I am completely dissatisfied with the Elgato
No surprise. No one here has ever recommended Elgato. We recommend against.

Quote:
I do not understand how the VCR is then connected to the card - are there any adapters needed?
Every All-In-Wonder capture device requires input and output dongles (adapters). AIW's are useless without them. Each model has its own unique adapters.

Quote:
I will build a PC with Windows XP for that - can you provide me with any hints with the PC's specs? Any particular parts that are worth buying so it would work flawlessly?
First, you have to find a copy of a Windows XP installation disc. Remember that Microsoft no longer supports XP, so if you have install problems they won't help. You will need at least Service Pack2. The only place I could recommend for motherboards with AGP or PCIe mounts for AIW cards would be auction sites. Two good sources for PC parts and some building articles will be from newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, and microcenter.com. You might be better off finding a refurbished or rebuilt retail PC with XP Professional installed, but proper motherboard might be a problem there. Check the forum's marketplace area for XP PC's.

You will need 2 hard drives, one for the operating system, and one for capture and working files. It's a good ideas to have external USB drives for storage --using your PC's working drive for storage invites disaster. Separate drives also allows you to use smaller drives for day to day work-- you don't need a 2TB hard drive for capture or working files, and huge hard drives for workspaces are a nightmare to maintain.

Last edited by sanlyn; 05-31-2018 at 09:33 AM.
05-31-2018, 01:05 PM
Free Member

thank you for the reply!

I found ATI All-In-Wonder X1800 and X800 with a cable - are these the ones?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg X1800.jpg (82.6 KB, 17 downloads)
File Type: jpg X800.jpg (55.7 KB, 17 downloads)

Last edited by misieeq; 05-31-2018 at 02:05 PM.
05-31-2018, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
thank you for the reply!

I found ATI All-In-Wonder X1800

is this the adapter that I am looking for? should I buy it?
In the image you show, the adapters shown are the purple inpuit adapter and the connectors for your display monitor (VGA is preferred for best speed response). The green connector goes to your sound card's line input.

Image below is a photo of part of the accessories package for the AIW 1800XL. The input/output adapters are the 3 coiled wires with plastic dongles (the coiled purple wire is for inputs). The bundle of black connectors located just above the FM antenna is used to connect your monitor to the 1800XL's graphics output.

Attached Images
File Type: png AIW 1800XL Adapters.png (155.2 KB, 143 downloads)
05-31-2018, 02:19 PM
Free Member

ok so, the s-video and left/right audio cables go from VCR to the plastic dongle? Then, the cable goes to the ATI AIW card and it splits in Y type and connectors go to my monitor - do I understand it correctly?

If I understand it correctly, then the cable from the first photo (X1800.jpg) will be all needed by me?

and in the second photo (X800.jpg, I added it later) the cable is also fine, but it has a larger variety of connectors to my monitor?

Which one should I go for? sorry for that many questions

edit: added a second photo from the X800 offer

Attached Images
File Type: jpg X800-2.jpg (245.0 KB, 12 downloads)
05-31-2018, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

You need both sets of cables. One set connects your VCR and signal source to the card's input. The other set connects your monitor to the card's output. All In Winders are complete graphics devices with capture capability. You use the card's output to view your operating system on your monitor, the same way you use any other graphics display card. Use capture software (VirtualDub or AmarecTV) to view the capture process.
05-31-2018, 02:37 PM
Free Member

So I need 2 plastic dongles? black for output and a purple for input? Won't it work if I have only the purple one for input and use the VGA output of the other cable (as in the photos)?
05-31-2018, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

You need the purple-wired dongle for capture, and the VGA cable for display.
The yellow wire in your x800 picture is an antenna.
05-31-2018, 03:11 PM
Free Member

Ok, perfect so it seems that both of the offers include everything I need Is it a good idea to go for X1800 then and build a PC with it?
05-31-2018, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

They are both excellent devices. The 1800 is probably more popular.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: misieeq (05-31-2018)
05-31-2018, 05:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
I have bought the Elgato Video Capture device
I hate how Elgato doesn't use model names for their stuff. Long ago, like 10+ years ago, Elgato made at least one good card (for both Mac and Windows). But I couldn't tell you what that is anymore, thanks for not using model numbers. It was similar to the ATI 600, though not a clone.

So, for that reason = never use Elgato. Not suggested.

Quote:
I was looking for the ATI 600 USB devices but these are nowhere to be bought.
Did you miss this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...ati-600-a.html

Quote:
I can see, that ATI All-In-Wonder cards are the best solution possible. I can buy either the X800 or 9200 (both AGP) - which one should I go for?
The 9200, no contest. DVI, Theatre 200, can use ATI MMC 8.x or 9.0.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
NEvery All-In-Wonder capture device requires input and output dongles (adapters). AIW's are useless without them. Each model has its own unique adapters.
^ This.

Quote:
First, you have to find a copy of a Windows XP installation disc. Remember that Microsoft no longer supports XP, so if you have install problems they won't help. You will need at least Service Pack2.
I don't really worry about how somebody acquires XP. Anybody that wants it can find it, be it unofficially, through a second-hand site like Amazon or eBay, or that disc in the back of a drawer. As far as MS supporting it, they never really supported video capture or ATI anyway. You've always needed 3rd party tools. And SP2 isn't required, just highly suggested. It runs on non-SP, SP1 or SP3.

Quote:
Check the forum's marketplace area for XP PC's.
Yes. Somebody here currently has one.

Quote:
It's a good ideas to have external USB drives for storage
I only use eSATA. The hardware you'll really find that has USB will be using 2.0, and that's excruciatingly slow. Even when USB2 was "fast", it was still slow.

Quote:
you don't need a 2TB hard drive for capture or working files, and huge hard drives for workspaces are a nightmare to maintain
I like 2tb.
But what's important to mention is that 2tb is a max for WinXP and non-USB drives.

Quote:
I found ATI All-In-Wonder X1800 and X800 with a cable - are these the ones?
Given the choice between AGP and PCIe, go AGP. The AIW has a few quirks in PCIe that don't exist in AGP, and is just overall easier for that reason. Both install and usage. Only use PCIe if somebody (like me) has already built the system, and it's plug-and-capture ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
the connectors for your display monitor (VGA is preferred for best speed response).
VGA? Nah. Always DVI when available.
But the more important thing to point out is how impossible it is to find that adapter if not included with the card. If an eBay/Amazon item does not explicitly state or show that it comes with that part, assume it does not. Many "complete" auctions are not complete. Without this piece, the card is 100% useless.

Quote:
ok so, the s-video and left/right audio cables go from VCR to the plastic dongle? Then, the cable goes to the ATI AIW card and it splits in Y type and connectors go to my monitor - do I understand it correctly?
If "plastic dongle" = purple (or domino) breakout box, then yes.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: misieeq (06-02-2018)
06-02-2018, 12:49 AM
Free Member

@lordsmurf

well, so I may have made the decision too fast. I have already ordered the X1800. Now is the time to build the PC

So, should I build a PC on PCI or find a motherboard with both AGP/PCI to make a versatile build and to buy a AGP AIW card in case the X1800 is troublesome?

moreover, should I go with 3 GB of ram? since 4 GB is not going to be used on XP? DDR1 or 2 should be fine?
06-02-2018, 02:54 AM
Free Member

Lordsmurf is the expert, but here is my two bits:
  • At least for the present, Windows XP machines are not especially hard to come by from resale shops, refurbishers, and eBay. It's easier to find the PC which fits your AIW card than vice versa.
  • For a capture machine, 3 or 4 GB of RAM is overkill. You should dedicate this machine to capture only; use something else to surf the Web or do your taxes. Two gigabytes of RAM...even one!...is more than sufficient.
  • However, extra hard drive space is a very very good idea. Leave the main C: drive free as much as possible. I recommend that you add a hot-swap drive of at least 1 TB, either through eSATA or by installing a hot-swap tray in a vacant 5-1/4" bay. If your motherboard doesn't support SATA, expansion cards for PCI slots are still readily available...Vantec makes a good one which supports both internal and eSATA.
  • It sounds like you got a complete card, which is good. I got burned by one of those "eBay specials" on an X1800...until I found out that svideo.com sells a video-in video-out cable assembly which fits the card. Unfortunately they can't help with the 9600s that another infamous eBay seller is still to this day pushing upon the unsuspecting (present company included!)

Best of luck to you!
The following users thank ehbowen for this useful post: misieeq (06-02-2018)
06-02-2018, 03:48 AM
Free Member

I can see lots of Dell Optiplex, for instance 755 in SFF case - would the X1800 fit in such a case? or should I rather look at something in mini tower? Such as Dell Optiplex 760?
06-02-2018, 03:51 AM
Free Member

An X1800 is a very large graphics card and it requires a full size case. I was able to fit in in a desktop Antec case, but it was a better fit after I moved it to a full tower PC.
The following users thank ehbowen for this useful post: misieeq (06-02-2018)
06-02-2018, 06:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
An X1800 is a very large graphics card and it requires a full size case. I was able to fit in in a desktop Antec case, but it was a better fit after I moved it to a full tower PC.
It also requires a modern power supply with PCIe lane 60pin power.

Between the PSU needs, loud stock fan, heat, and others aspects, it's just not my favorite. It has to be modded with a new fan with cut power to be tolerable.

And then there's still the software/driver quirk aspect. The AGP is just easier to install.

Trivia: Hardware-wise, it's also the most "locked" card, as it can't even be hacked for WinVista/Win7 x86 AVI-only capture (something that's not reliable, but at least sometimes possible). This doesn't matter, and should not factor in to a decision to use this card, but it is an interesting aspect. The PCIe cards shared little with AGP/PCI, aside from the Theatre200 chips. Noting that you should only attempt WinXP for serious capture use of the card.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Free Member

I found PCs with these specs:

1st build:
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-VM900M
CPU: Intel C2D E4500
PSU: MODECOM FEEL-300ATX
RAM: 2 GB DDR2 RAM
HDD: 80 GB

2nd build:
motherboard: MSI G31TM-P35
CPU: Intel C2D E3400

and also found a similar build with AMD Athlon II X2 260

I plan on installing Windows XP on the PC and to buy a hot-swap tray as @ehbowen suggested

Any hints on which one to choose and if these specs will suffice me?
06-19-2018, 01:35 AM
Free Member

Finally,

I have found a HP DC5850 ATHLON X2 5000+ 2,6GHz, 4GB RAM, HDD 160 GB in a tower.

Also saw a similar build with the Core2Duo instead of athlon, but I think I will go with the AMD

Hope it will do its job