11-01-2018, 03:11 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I am dealing with L-secam tapes collection now. So far the problem seem to be that my AIW9600 seem to have problem with L-secam signal. The image is very unstable. The decoding is not flawless.

This tapes are from the 80' and have been filmed with a JVC CV-3001 camera and recorded with HR-3330 and HR-4100. deck.

The signal is stabilized when I transcode L-Secam --->PAL. AIW9600 like the PAL signal.

The problem is that the transcoding is not that transparent (horrible colors conversion). I tried transcoding with a NV-HS100 and a HR-S8000MS and my conclusion is that if I can capture in original format, it would be better.

Surprisingly during Secam playback, I have a Studio CTR monitor hooked via SCART, and the TV display the footage without any image fluctuation. So now I am considering trying another capture device that would be more "Secam friendly".

Searching on the web, I found someone how had similar problem. He solve is problem using a device called "GRABSHOW 100". I am not sure I can use this "cheap device" with S-video and with virtualdub/huffyuv but if someone can gave me some hints or things worth to try to solve my issue.

Regards
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-01-2018, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "transcoding". Recording, dubbing and capture aren't "transcoding".

VirtualDub's "capture filters" setup dialog has a setting for just about every flavor of Secam. What version of Secam are you looking for?

Quote:
- NTSC_M USA, Canada, U.S. territories, Jamaica, Phillippines, Panama, most of
South America (not Brazil), South Korea.
- NTSC_M_J or "NTSC_J" (Japan)
- PAL B/G (most of Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand)
- PAL_I (the UK, Ireland, Hong Kong, South Africa, Macau)
- PAL D/K (most of Central and Eastern Europe)
- PAL D (mainland China)
- PAL-M (Brazil)
- PAL-N (Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay)
- PAL-L (same as B/G)
- "PAL 60" hybrid, usually for NTSC_M in PAL systems.
- Most flavors of SECAM (France)

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post45238
11-01-2018, 03:30 PM
Free Member

Some vcr have transcoding ability. You can play a L-secam tape and output a PAL signal to the TV or capture card.

My case is the L-secam from France and yes despite the fact the the AIW have the L-secam filter but in my case the capture test are not convincing so far with the L-secam. Anyway thanks for asking , I am waiting for a TBC to see if it can help.
11-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Free Member

It looks like the "GRABSHOW 100" is a empia 28xx device with a SAA7113H, so it's nothing special. (Allthough it seems like it might be a very old model that can only capture 640x480?) USB dongles with this chip are quite common, Some I've read have used it include EZCAP DC60+, Roxio Easy VHS to DVD, Diamond VC500 Mac, VGB200. It can be a bit hard to say which as many usb dongles can have the same shell but different hardware though.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "transcoding". Recording, dubbing and capture aren't "transcoding".
I presume they mean passing the signal through a VCR or something that converts from L-SECAM to PAL. Maybe a DVR that supports secam or some broadcast converter can do the job better, idk.
11-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
AFAIK transcoding is digital to digital. Doesn't include analog at either end. I would think "capture" is used for analog to digital, as in SECAM from tape to PAL DVD with a DVR.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (11-02-2018)
11-07-2018, 03:38 AM
Free Member

Hi Sanlyn,

Just doing a follow up.

I am testing a Terratec Grabster AV 350 MX now.
It supposed to have the same chipset as the ATI AIW USB600 (TI TVP5150)

So far I am able to capture with the L-Secam filter with Huffyuv without any problem.

When going back home, I plan to test the L-Secam with my own AGP AIW to see if my problem was related
to the card unit itself.

Cheers
The following users thank Mejnour for this useful post: sanlyn (11-08-2018)