digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   VirtualDub crashes when selecting WDM capture driver? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/8859-virtualdub-crashes-selecting.html)

benni2 07-24-2018 05:26 PM

VirtualDub crashes when selecting WDM capture driver?

vdub: v1.10.4
capture device: hauppauge usb live2
source: vcr (PAL)

hi folks,

i'm trying to capture old material from my vcr. it also worked at some point, but now i don't get it to work anymore.

whenever i choose the hauppauge (Cx23100 video capture directshow) driver, i don't get a picture. in the past, i just chose the WDM driver instead and got video+audio. but now, when i choose the WDM (microsoft image wdm capture win32 vfw) driver, vdub freezes and nothing can unfreeze it - except a restart.

i tried it with 3 different computers (all with win7 x64) but none of them worked. have i forgotten/missed something when it worked just a few weeks ago?

i hope you can help me on this.

cheers,
benni

lordsmurf 07-24-2018 08:35 PM

Did you by chance update Windows recently? I know the GDPR updates really screwed up Windows 10, maybe Windows 8, and maybe 7. But I've not heard about any Windows 7 issues. But not ruling them out. A lot of cards "suddenly" quit working recently for that reason.

If that's not it, then the troubleshooting shall continue... :)

sanlyn 07-24-2018 09:38 PM

I doubt that WDM worked "a few weeks ago", and if it did it was very limited. WDM is ancient tech. The Hauppauge capture drivers are DirectShow and so is Virtualdub captue nowadays. The last time I saw WDM capture used was Windows 95.

lordsmurf 07-24-2018 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanlyn (Post 55148)
I doubt that WDM worked "a few weeks ago", and if it did it was very limited. WDM is ancient tech. The Hauppauge capture drivers are DirectShow and so is Virtualdub captue nowadays. The last time I saw WDM capture used was Windows 95.

ATI AIW can use WDM, and some cards must use it for preview in VirtualDub. It's no more ancient than XP and AIW cards. You select Microsoft WDM instead of the card-native DirectShow preview. One of my primary systems, using the PCI AIW, does just that.

If you want ancient, then let's talk about VfW.

benni2 07-25-2018 04:56 PM

thanks for your replies :)

I did the normal windows updates, yes. so all computers have the same (new) patch level. i'm not sure if i wanna revert and stay on an older patch level.

but maybe we can even get the directshow drivers to work?

-- merged --

ok, update... at least on one computer i could solve the mystery (i guess it would work on the others as well):

in the hauppauge driver (video > capture filter) i could set the video mode.. in the past, i set it to PAL-B which was obviously not correct (Germany)... as soon as i set PAL-D, it worked fine. i can capture again. and i can switch to WDM again :)

for google: the symptoms have been, that i could capture with my hauppauge driver, but i got a video without video-information (like 10 mb/min). even the vdub stats on the right didn't do anything (no frame counter, no nothing). whenever i switched to the wdm driver, vdub crashed.

thanks again for your help.

*** SOLVED ***