digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   What causes this wobbly lines? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/8891-causes-wobbly-lines.html)

ragu0012 08-02-2018 11:43 PM

What causes this wobbly lines?

1 Attachment(s)
This is a Maxell 8mm tape shot in 2002 captured on a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV820 Digital 8 with TBC and DNR activated.. and using a datavision TBC as well.

Occasionally i will get these squiggly lines seen here in the photograph.

I have deinterlaced to get a clean screen shot but this is not caused in the deinterlace process. It's there on the capture.

I'm sure someone has seen this before. What say you? Thanks!
Attachment 8734

dpalomaki 08-03-2018 10:22 AM

Do I understand correctly this from a Video8 analog tape recording played on a Digital8 camcorder using capturing from the analog output of the camcorder?

Some of it looks a bit like some intermittent display of portions of prior frame/field.

Was there camera movement (e.g., zoom and/or pan & tilt) underway during this shot?
What happens if you try different combinations of DNR and TBC off?
Have you tried a capture via Firewide (iLink/IEEE1394) from the camcorder?

ragu0012 08-03-2018 10:55 AM

Yes I captured with S video.

There is definitely camera movement on this part.

I haven’t yet tried recapturing the same tape under different settings. Unfortunately I didn’t notice it as it captured, just when I watched the capture afterwards

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpalomaki (Post 55319)
Do I understand correctly this from a Video8 analog tape recording played on a Digital8 camcorder using capturing from the analog output of the camcorder?

Some of it looks a bit like some intermittent display of portions of prior frame/field.

Was there camera movement (e.g., zoom and/or pan & tilt) underway during this shot?
What happens if you try different combinations of DNR and TBC off?
Have you tried a capture via Firewide (iLink/IEEE1394) from the camcorder?

dpalomaki 08-03-2018 04:33 PM

Try capturing with different setting, and via IEE1394. See if any work better. Sometimes, but not very often, DNR and TBCs will interact to produce worse capture.

Also, are the lines consistent with repeated captures of the same segment of the video?

What capture device did you use?

NJRoadfan 08-03-2018 06:49 PM

Was there any buzzing in the soundtrack when the glitch occurred? 8mm uses AFM audio recorded with the video heads and any tape dropouts will result in audio problems too.

lordsmurf 08-04-2018 10:35 AM

Those are digital camera artifacts. Very, very common. It's often a media issue, though not always. I see this a lot of DV tapes that were poorly stored, but also other formats like MicroMV.