Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-22-2018, 01:15 PM
Free Member

I purchased a JVC HM-DH30000U off of Ebay a little while ago. After receiving it, I noticed that the picture quality was very poor. I explain all of this in the video I posted here but if you don't have time to watch that, here's the shortened version:
I have cleaned the drum and heads with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip. While quite the improvement, it is not the best it could be, for sure (again, see video for visuals). I've also tried using the I-link connector to plug the VCR into my computer via Firewire. CapDVHS recognizes it, but gives me a 0KB mpg file when I attempt a capture. And the final thing: This VCR didn't come with a remote. I'd like to know how to use a universal remote with this unit, if possible (including access to VCR menus).

Thanks you.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-22-2018, 02:16 PM
Free Member

Assuming the heads are clean it's most likely a calibration problem (should be on "auto" if the tape is in good condition) doing so the vcr automatically check the tension of the tape and adjust the position of the heads (lower/upper i believe); we're talking microns here. It can also be a hi-fi track problem (many vcr's can't play it without images degradation) but without the remote i'm not sure you can enable the features or change the sound track (hi-fi ->mono).
Check in you wallet and grab the last dollars remaining for the remote héhé
08-22-2018, 04:39 PM
Free Member

You may also have a look at the picture control setting (once you get a remote working), as some of the picture settings on JVC decks can make the image look very soft and mushy, and check whether turning on or off the Digital 3-DNR with the switch on the front does anything.
08-22-2018, 06:30 PM
Free Member

UPDATE: (Watch the update video here is you want.
Good news: I have adjusted the rollers on the VCR to get a picture I would call somewhat acceptable.
I am also able to get my computer to recognize the VCR when connected via Firewire (using TSReaderLite or CapDVHS)
Bad news: I cannot actually get a signal out through said Firewire connection. It's more than likely a setting I have to adjust in the menus.
So my questions this time around are:
1. Can I get into the menus w/o a remote? If not, what are the Universal remote codes for this unit?
2. Which settings should I be adjusting?

Thanks again guys
08-22-2018, 10:35 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabhdude View Post
I purchased a JVC HM-DH30000U off of Ebay
Almost all DVHS VCRs on eBay are it horrible condition, including all the "tested" and "works" auctions. I've yet to come across one that was worthwhile.

Quote:
I have cleaned the drum and heads with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip.
That was a really, really bad move.
You likely made things worse. Cotton swabs damage VCR heads. You're supposed to use chamois, foam, or a DSLR sensor swab.

Quote:
I've also tried using the I-link connector to plug the VCR into my computer via Firewire. CapDVHS recognizes it, but gives me a 0KB mpg file when I attempt a capture.
The Firewire connectivity of DVHS VCRs never really worked well, going back 10+ years to the popularity of the tech.

Quote:
And the final thing: This VCR didn't come with a remote. I'd like to know how to use a universal remote with this unit, if possible
Not possible. I've never seen any universal that can correctly clone all the needed functions of a JVC branded remote. You need the OEM remote, and unfortunately the DVHS remotes are not easy to come by.

Quote:
a picture I would call somewhat acceptable.
That's not a reassuring description.

Quote:
I am also able to get my computer to recognize the VCR when connected via Firewire (using TSReaderLite or CapDVHS)
Bad news: I cannot actually get a signal out through said Firewire connection. It's more than likely a setting I have to adjust in the menus.
NJRoadfan has written about this topic, as have a few others, in years past. But, going from memory, it was the "not reliable" or "doesn't work" sorts of posts. Almost all owners just treat the DVHS decks like SVHS decks, and it has a few unique features: mild tearing correction and stabilize+TBC. It's really not a DV converter box. If you want low quality DV, then get a Canopus. But a simple USB device is cheaper and better, and easy to mess with (Firewire not fun in 2010s).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-23-2018, 10:33 AM
Free Member

I know for a fact the remote of the jvc hr-8600ms work for the jvc Sr TS1U (bot are s-vhs player,first one is pal other ntsc) but D-vhs that's too specific i think, i'm not sure.
I'm also using a oneforall remote (URC 7145) with the Magic button (to learn) i've transfered all functions from the og remote with this button) the code provided in the manual didn't quite cover all of them.. i recall
Try one of these codes if you have one: 0623, 2966, 0539, 0503, 0695

Tags
dvhs, firewire, fuzzy picture, vcr