Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Free Member

Heeeelllp! I have spent hours today trying to get VD to work consistently with a TV Wonder 750u USB capture device. At first, VD showed the 750u in the device list and I was able to see video with overlay AND preview. Selecting Histogram pulled up a blank box at the bottom and the video continued to show in the input pane. Selecting Levels just showed a message that the driver did not support this function. This was using the latest drivers from Diamond. The installation program picked the 64-bit driver since I'm using Win 7 Pro.

I did several driver uninstalls and reinstalls because I believed that the 750U did show levels at one time. Now I'm convinced that I imagined this. Anyway, I tried the 32-bit drivers on the CD that came with the 750u. The installation said that there was an error related to some file. But, the 750u showed up as a generic ATI item in VD's Device list and it could show video. Next, uninstall the 32-bit driver then install the older 64-bit driver from the CD. Same action as with the latest drivers.

During this process VD tended to crash a lot. Sometimes I could stop VD's process. Other times I would have to reboot to stop VD. Even Process Explorer could not stop it. Some of the time VD didn't want to operate at all so I would roll Windows back to an earlier restore point.

The current problem has me stopped in my tracks. VD crashed, I rebooted and now VD doesn't see the 750u at all. The device shows up in Windows Device Manager but not VD. I did the old uninstall/reinstall the driver, but VD refuses to recognize the 750u at all.

VD works, mostly, with my WinTV-HVR-2250 device. I can see video in preview mode, turn on Histogram (video preview display blanks out), and adjust levels.

Two questions come out of this mess:
1. Why is VD refusing to see the 750u capture card?
2. If I can get VD to recognize the 750u, is there a way I can adjust the 750u's brightness and contrast levels?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Steve

Update:

Most of the reason I did so many reinstalls was that VD would crash after selecting Capture AVI then any other function. I wasn't able to select a capture device because VD would crash selecting any pull-down menu. Even Help caused VD to crash.

After I wrote the initial post, I installed a third device--a VC500. Oddly, VD would now work without crashing. VD still didn't show the 750u card. I reinstalled the driver for the 750u and now all three devices show. Argh! I wish Avery Lee was still interested in working on VD. I would gladly purchase a license if it was more stable.

So two questions still stand:
1. Why is VD so finicky in supporting a card then not supporting it then supporting it again?
2. Is there any way to adjust the 750u's brightness and contrast levels?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-14-2018, 11:34 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
When it comes to VirtualDub, especially capturing, 1.10.x is not as stable as 1.9.x. And don't even bother trying to use the VirtualDub2 fork, it just gets worse.

You have to realize everything about analog video is chaos, and capture cards/software has always been just as fussy. Drivers frequently don't play nice, and conflicts are the norm. And while Windows XP SP1/2 was really stable, Microsoft was never a darling of stability.

The main system here sometimes boots and forgets the AIW part of the ATI card, so I have to reboot. And it's suddenly working fine again.

I'm not overely familiar with the ATI 750, aside from the facts that it has AGC issues. However, it's probably like every other cards in terms of adjustments, just use the levels on the VirtualDub video menu in capture mode. But, more likely, any brightness/contrast issues are a flaw of the card, or a non-calibrated monitor (meaning the video is actually fine).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Free Member

Thanks for looking at this. I also noticed the odd functionality that you mentioned where things change from bootup to bootup. During all the mess, I tried VD 1.9 and 1.10 and didn't see any difference.

I asked about levels control for the 750u because VD didn't have access to any. I couldn't find any other access either.

I have a Win XP based computer that was, until recently, handling all TV OTA recording and Netflix & Amazon video. It's an Intel dual core, 3Ghz based system. Do you have any suggestions on repurposing it for VHS digitization?

BTW, I use SageTV to record OTA programs (it can also do Cable). It has worked great for fourteen years, and I was able to make the jump from Win XP to Win 10 without too much trouble. It did take a lot of fiddling in the early days to get it set up the way I wanted it. Lots of extensions are available to tailor it in many different ways. SageTV is now open source. There's also a very active forum to support it.

Thanks,
Steve