Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-17-2018, 02:55 AM
Free Member

Since I started using VirtualDub a couple of weeks ago, I have not been able to see a video and its histogram together most of the time. I think I found a way to get both items on the screen together. I have only been able to do this with VD and a Diamond VC500 capture device. I never found a way with the HVR-2250 card, but I didn't try as hard with it so some combination might work there.

First, after starting an AVI session I:

- Devices Menu: selected the "Conexant Polaris Video Capture (Directshow)" item. This is the VC500 card.

- Video Menu:
- changed display from "Overlay" to "Preview"
- Set the Preview Acceleration to "Non-Interlaced - Field Rate, Even Field First."
- Left the "Stretch to Window" function off

These settings allowed me to consistently see the video, Levels control, and histogram at the same time. It works during preview and video capture. Choices under the Audio menu don't seem to affect this like it used to.

Hope this works for you.
Steve
The following users thank stevevid for this useful post: archivarious (09-29-2020), lordsmurf (09-15-2018)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-15-2018, 05:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I don't normally use histograms like that, but sounds interesting, I may try it.

But, generally speaking, for the actual capture, not just for testing, I'd always opt to use overlay if available. You're offloading preview data on the CPU with "preview" mode, while the GPU handles the overlay.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs