07-05-2018, 02:44 AM
Free Member

I'm not sure it's luma crosstalk as it also happens on composite and not only S-video. I'm not sure where the fault might lie.

I'm using a philips vr520 with 6 heads and a happauge live usb 2(the one sort of recommended here)

I've tried reading through some of these topics but I'm very new at this so any help is appreciated.

(A tbc is too expensive for my needs although they look fantastic.)

Here is a picture of how it looks all the time:

https://imgur.com/a/bZmNrrG

the machine is also making a loud .. sinus noise.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The machine also has a hard time finding a good image. I tried using a cleaning tape but the second time the string got stuck. I'm not sure if it's just because the machin is old or if it's worth it to attempt to open it up and clean it ?

-- merged --

So, this also happens when I connect a different VCR.

And I loose the image completely if the s-video is the only plugin that's connected to the scart, for some reason.

Attached Images
File Type: png althetime.png (347.9 KB, 120 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-10-2018, 02:32 AM
Free Member

This looks like some sort of high frequency interference. Could be a ground loop, or maybe a power adapter, light dimmer or some other electrical equipment causing high-frequency noise.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-02-2018)
07-10-2018, 03:23 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the reply !

I tried to connect my ps1 with the same cables (although with the yellow phono for video - which has the same issue as the s-video on the vcr machines) and there's nothing of the sort from that. Could it be the scart connector for the video cables ? neither VCR has a s-video out, so I'm limited to scart.
09-02-2018, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

I have been away from DFAQ for awhile, but when I saw your screen shot, it looked very much what I went through, which was RFI, or Radio Frequency Interference. Posted many threads about it a few years ago. Now, when I capture, using a PC, I unplug and turn off ALL un-needed electronic stuff, including any Smartphones, my dsl modem/wireless gateway, all LED light bulbs, other computers, etc..., plus I invested in good quality shielded cables, and cables with the little "barrels" on each end. Plus I can't tell my apartment neighbors to turn off all thier stuff while I'm capturing. You might Google the subject of RFI too.
09-02-2018, 04:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specific View Post
Could it be the scart connector for the video cables ? neither VCR has a s-video out, so I'm limited to scart.
Could be.

It could even be the capture/playback hardware, or even merely hardware in the workflow clashing. That's why I have to test workflows, to verify nothing in the path conflicts.

However, the image you attached is not adequate. I'm not sure where it came from, how it was made, or what it shows. It could be anything from an image off a camera phone (and thus the noise we see is actually from the monitor, and due to the camera shutter), to being a screen cap at 200%+. I need to see a 1:1 screen cap, unaltered. Load the video in VirtualDub, capture current frame to clipboard, paste in image program, save to JPEG, upload that.

Going back to workflow conflicts, as an example, all TBCs add a slight processing noise, as do capture cards, and everything else. Nothing is 100% transparent. Certain ATI cards with an AVT-8710 and certain JVC menus, viewed 200%, can show a weird dot pattern. But it's not normal. Some other similar combos can create dot noise (NOT dot crawl!) in the yellow/red chroma (but not blue).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-03-2018, 05:23 AM
Premium Member

Listen to Lordsmurf 1st, and my input 2nd about RFI, I always seem to get cursed by the wierd but true anomalies.! But if your picture of the screen shot is from a camera, then the camera adds even more video noise, you must submit a direct video file sample from your equipment as lordsmurf has stated.
Otherwise the proof ain't in the pudding.
And no answer to your problem is possible.