Quantcast ATI AIW 9800 Pro installation, VIA GART? - digitalFAQ Forum
09-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Hi there, I'm gonna install said graphic card in my PC in order to start capturing videos.
I have never done such task so any help is appreciated, I fear it can be quite a messy process.

The PC I will use for this, has: 3 GHZ Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 1 GB RAM (DDR 400), 1 AGP Slot, Windows XP, DirectX9, etc, etc.
I bought it on purpose so it would fit with the card requests.

The first "problem" I notice is: According to the "Installation User's Guide" provided with the card, since my motherboard chipset is made by VIA (and not Intel), I would need to install the latest "Virtual GART Driver" for the AGP slot to properly work and read the card.

And here I am.... could someone tell me how to proceed?
Thanks in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-02-2018, 06:10 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 1,132 Times in 1,008 Posts
Ignore the VIA warning for now. That motherboard is probably years newer than the card warning.

I never read ATI documentation, as it's dated.
And honestly, it was almost dated when it was new!
Did you know ATI phone techs often referred their users to this site?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Orientation (09-02-2018)
09-02-2018, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Ignore the VIA warning for now. That motherboard is probably years newer than the card warning.

I never read ATI documentation, as it 's dated.
And honestly, it was almost dated when it was new!
Did you know ATI phone techs often referred their users to this site?
Ha... well, that's funny since in the cardboard box, containing all the accessories and the card, there's a sticker pointing not to bring the card/PC to a computer store but rather contact the customer assistance

In any case, do you think I'm safe from something like this with my motherbaord?
ATI and older VIA motherboards?
09-15-2018, 01:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 1,132 Times in 1,008 Posts
Maybe, hard to tell. Try it.

And I updated that old post, since I never want old info to mislead anybody. I update things when questioned or noticed.
Update post: ATI and older VIA motherboards?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
09-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

Ok, so I'm now throwing some of the results I got after I decided to go ahead and install the video card.

The first problem arised was during the Catalyst CD installation. Afterwards I got an error saying the MMC 8.0 (if I remember correctly it was the 8.0 version) was not correctly installed. I go to "start", "all programs" and there I find the MMC folder, but whenever I click on one of the features, they won't run. Except for the "configuration" tab. When I try with things like "LaunchPad", "CD Audio", "TV", "Player", etc. they just won't open.

Is this common? What should I do? I thought about going to "Control Panel", "Add or remove programs", remove the MMC 8.0. Then download the MMC from here and try to install it without the Catalyst CD. Is a good idea?

In another order of things, I ran the "ATI MMC Configuration" compability test.
The only error seems to be this one: "DMA for HDD might not be installed". Is that any relevant?
However the first time I tried this test, besides the above error, I had the: "Sound card with clock stability better than +/- 0.2 sec" marked as not working. But on a second run, it seems that was not a problem anymore.

Any ideas?
10-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

I decided to proceed as I have stated above. I removed the MMC version I had (it was the 8.5), downloaded the 8.7 from here, and I installed it.
Now all the MMC tools seem to be working, but I as I checked the compability test, once more I ended up obtaining some not good looking results. Here's attached a screenshot:
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

I'm gonna try to capture some MPEG just for the sake of testing the card, the software, onboard audio, etc.
Hopefully in the next few days I can upload a small clip, so I get an overall veredict about my workflow quality.