Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-10-2018, 07:50 PM
Free Member

I recently bought a HD 600 USB card complete with all parts and the installation cd from LordSmurf. Unfortunately, I can not get VirtualDub to recognize it.

For several days, Windows 7 device manager failed to see the card. I have been through many installs and uninstalls of the ATI software. I started with the ATI disk, version 200 that came with the device. I tried other solutions on DigitalFAQ to no avail. I tried installing without and with the device. I tried just installing the Vista 64 drivers--nada.

Today I went back to a restore point before the latest install attempts. I ran setup.exe in the bin64 folder on the cd and now the device shows up in device manager. Finally, progress! Unfortuantely, VirtualDub does not recognize it even after a couple of reboots. Any suggestions on how to get VD to recognize the HD 600? VD does recognize the Huapauge HVR-2250 I have and I have been able to capture video with it.

My setup is:
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
i7-4770K CPU
16GB memory

Thanks,
Steve
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-10-2018, 07:57 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Hmmm...

I test all my hardware (including all capture cards) before sending out, so the card is known as working.

Device Manager failing to see the card is not a good thing, and that in itself can sprout several issues. When hardware refuses to install, and the hardware is known good, there's an issue with the OS. Hardware conflicts are typical, but more atypical issues can be corruption in files (usually due to corruption in the SSD/HDD). Not fun.

Win7 (x86/x64) is one of the more problem-free OS for video capture, for USB cards especially, so that's not it.

Which version of VirtualDub are you trying? 1.9.x was the best version, and 1.10.x and thus the forked VirtualDub2 have known bugs and problems. And not just with capture, but some internal filters as well (resize especially).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-11-2018, 11:50 PM
Free Member

I'm using the VirtualDub-1.9.11+filters package that you posted. It has worked fine with my 2250 card. Device manager does see the card now and shows that the driver is version 5.7.831.0 from 8/31/07. The software came direct from the ATI cd. I also see a message on the general tab under properties that states:

"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

I've never seen a message like this. Could this mean the device is not usable for some reason? Which drivers are other people using?

I do have a newer driver that I downloaded from AMD that is "TV_WONDER_600_USB_DRIVERS_Win7_32_64bit_VER_7 ." It's odd that AMD lists this because they mention they don't have support for Windows 7. The link to this file states it's only for Windows 7 32 bit. And yet, the file name seems to indicate 32-bit and 64-bit support. Definitely a mixed message from AMD. Any one else able to use this driver with Win 7 64 bit? I haven't tried it recently since I finally got device manager to acknowledge the existence of the HD 600. I'm concerned I would lose that small advance.

As a further note, all of my USB ports are 3.0 ports. I know USB 2 devices are supposed to work fine in a USB 3 port, but I thought I saw a reference here a few weeks ago where someone was having trouble capturing properly until he plugged the HD 600 into a USB 2 port. Is using a USB 3 port a potential problem?

Thanks for the help,
Steve

-- merged --

Well, I have spent the last day and a half trying to solve this issue. I now know that when code 52 shows up in the properties of the device, no application can use the device. I have done extensive searches and tried many things, but I cannot get Windows to approve any of the drivers I have. It thinks the drivers are unsigned. One solution hinted that the CatRoot directory may be missing one or more items. But I don't know what.

One thing showed some promise. I ran an alternate start up of Windows that allows non-verified drivers to run. With this type of start up I was able to see the HD 600 in VirtualDub. But, VD would take about a minute to process any settings change. This is not a viable approach since it requires special start up each time the computer is started and negates the reason for having signed drivers--resistance to malware.

The current driver I have loaded shows:
- provider: eMPIA Technology
- date: 09/17/09
- version: 5.2009.917.0
- signer: Not digitally signed

What driver is your system showing and is the driver signed?

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

BTW, I was able to pull out a USB 2 connection from the motherboard but it didn't change the result. I ran Windows SFC. It said it corrected some files, but no change in operation. I also checked on deleting a couple of registry entries called Upper and Lower filters. They didn't exist in the first place.
09-12-2018, 12:56 AM
Site Staff | Video

Driver signing was very spotty in the Vista days, which is when that was in production. I don't recall it being signed, no. In fact, I don't think most ATI drivers were signed, even if for Vista or 7. Remember that ATI has been gone for about a decade now, owned by AMD. They were not good stewards of the brand, having purged tons of online content (including alternate driver downloads).

Why do you need for the drivers to be signed, anyway? Just force install them. Override Windows.

There have been several ATI 600 install posts in this forum over the years, with most being at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...i-600-usb.html

Computer issues happen. I'm having an issue with a computer that hates networked printers in VMs. It's fine everywhere but there. I don't get it. I try for several hours, then walk away for a week. I make progress each time, but still no solution. This sort of process has happened many times over the years, and most eventually get resolved. It just takes time and patience.

09-12-2018, 01:57 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Driver signing seems to be a problem on my pc because Windows shows a "Code 52" message on the device properties in device manager. In looking online, Code 52 seems to be the reason programs cannot use a device that shows this property. The icon for the HD 600 in device manager shows a small (and I do mean small) yellow caution flag.

I was able to temporarily bypass Windows' checking for signed drivers by using F8 as Windows starts. This brings up the pre-Windows screen that allows users to boot into safe mode and other startup things. The last item on the list is for Windows to not check for signed drivers as it starts. This approach was the only way I could get VD to recognize the HD 600. This approach is not a long-term solution.

What does your device manager show for the HD 600 properties on your computer? Does it show the Code 52 message or the proper "This device is working properly" message on the general tab? This might give me a clue as to what I need to do.

What do you mean "...force install them. Override Windows."? I hope you have an approach I haven't heard of before that will overcome my stalemate.

I have looked at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...i-600-usb.html several times and did not find a solution. I did download a driver that msgohan posted, but it was the same as what I had.

Thanks,
Steve
09-12-2018, 02:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

I have several computers, and several ATI 600 USBs. All are fine. I keep some USB cards in the drawer here, and plugged one into this very system that I'm typing on. And this is what happens:

ati600-windows7x64-devicemgr.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium on a laptop.

From my quick online, Googling error 52, it's a USB port issue.

Perhaps try this as suggested on MS site. At command prompt
Code:
bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
and then
Quote:
Go to Start > Run > GPEdit.msc
Go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Driver Installation > Code signing for drivers
Click "Disabled", then OK

09-12-2018, 02:26 AM
Free Member

Wow, you're fast!

When you right click on the 600 USB, what do the properties for the 600 USB show?

I saw the command prompt code. I held off until I found another solution or gave up.

Thanks,
Steve
09-12-2018, 02:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevid View Post
Wow, you're fast!
When you right click on the 600 USB, what do the properties for the 600 USB show?
Thanks,
Steve
The normal status: "This device is working properly."

I use my 2nd XP capture system for card testing, and have not installed on a Win7 system in at least a year. But, going from memory, what happened was I'd run setup from the Vista 64-bit folder on the CD, the OS would splash scary nag warning that the driver wasn't signed, but I was given the option to continue anyway. I did, it installed, the end.

(Oh, and, of course, I hacked the registry to add the audio normalization string. It's default 100% or 255, and should be set to 50% aka 128 value. But you're not there yet, one thing at a time!)

09-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

From my quick online, Googling error 52, it's a USB port issue.

Perhaps try this as suggested on MS site. At command prompt
Code:
bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
and then

and then

Go to Start > Run > GPEdit.msc
Go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Driver Installation > Code signing for drivers
Click "Disabled", then OK
I did see a couple of boot configuration change suggestions online, but was leery of making a hard change to integrity checks. I missed the Group Policy change with GPEdit. Enabling the policy and then setting it to warn with the choice of installing or not installing a driver worked great. I uninstalled then reinstalled the ATI driver and code 52 is gone. VirtualDub can now work with the HD 600 .

It's odd that code 52 occurred at all since I always got the warning about an unsigned driver and always clicked it's ok to install. Now the same message comes up and clicking ok works.

VD has some long delay quirks but that is a discussion for another thread. I did see your audio normalization change and will check that later.

Thank you very much!
Steve