09-22-2018, 03:28 PM
Free Member

My oddessy to get my ATI 600 USB device to work properly continues. On Windows 7, the 600 did not like working with VirtualDub. It would take 25 seconds for VD and the 600 to communicate and get working properly on several commands.

So, the last few days have been spent getting my Windows XP Pro machine re-set up. Installed the 600 drivers--VD and the 600 now hate each other. Full system crash when trying to get VD to load the 600 as the capture device.

I have read through the posts on http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...i-600-usb.html (which started in 2011 and ended in 2013), done several searches, and still no luck. I know when LordSmurf started the thread that he thought Windows XP 64-bit would not work. Someone else on the thread had the same system crash as I do. They got it to work, but it wasn't clear if they were using XP 64-bit or not.

I have spent many hours researching and trying different things. The latest, and most comprehensive approach included uninstalling all ATI software, running CCleaner, and checking for any other left over bits. I also got rid of Hauppauge software that supported my tuners. It is all now gone and my system is running with basic VGA functionality because the uninstall removed the drivers for my EAH4550 video card. I reinstalled the XP-based 600 drivers from the ATI disk. The 600 capture device and VD still hate each other and crash the PC.

LordSmurf, you have mentioned several several times that you use 64-bit versions of software such as AviSynth. Does this mean you have been able to get the 600 device and VD to work together on a 64-bit XP machine? Anyone else have success?

Help, please. I'm in deep in this rabbit hole,
Steve

edit -- Please disregard this post

Last edited by stevevid; 09-22-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I have no issues with ATI 600 USB cards on any OS thus far.

And Avisynth+ x64 has nothing in common with ATI. My main encoding/restoration system is not used for capturing.

You're edit to this post was generic, so did you figure it out?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-22-2018, 06:56 PM
Free Member

My oddessy to get my ATI 600 USB device to work properly continues. On Windows 7, the 600 did not like working with VirtualDub. It would take 25 seconds for VD and the 600 to communicate and get working properly on several commands.

So, the last few days have been spent getting my Windows XP Pro machine re-set up. Installed the 600 drivers--VD and the 600 now hate each other. Full system crash when trying to get VD to load the 600 as the capture device.

I have spent many hours researching and trying different things. I read through the posts on http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...i-600-usb.html (which started in 2011 and ended in 2013), done several searches here and the web in general, and still no luck.

The most comprehensive approach included uninstalling all ATI software and checking for any other left over bits. I even ran CCleaner--no help. I put the registry entries back because I don't know what damage CCleaner could have done to the rest of the system. I have used the ATI AtiCimUn.exe to get rid of ATI software. I also got rid of Hauppauge software that supported my tuners. It is all now gone and my system is running with basic VGA functionality because the uninstall removed the drivers for my EAH4550 video card.

I reinstalled the XP-based 600 drivers from the ATI disk. The 600 capture device and VD still hate each other and crash the PC.

I removed the ATI software again and installed version 23 of the drivers from the Diamond web site. Crash.

I tried additional reinstalls and different USB ports (they are all supposed to be USB 2). Crash, crash, ad nauseum.

Help, please. I'm in deep in this rabbit hole,
Steve

Further system info: Intel core 2 duo, E8400 at 3Ghz
3 GB memory
Windows XP Pro, service pack 3
09-22-2018, 06:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

You probably have another system issue that you're not aware of yet.
I'd just reformat the XP system, and start over.

09-22-2018, 07:12 PM
Free Member

Something weird is happening with my posts. I tried to delete the first post of this thread by just wiping out all the info and stating that the thread should be cancelled. I just created a different thread with a different title "Does anyone have ATI 600 USB working with VirtualDub in Win XP Pro sp3?" What I thought was a new thread ended up as post 3 on this thread. LordSmurf can you wipe out this thread and let me create a new one that doesn't confuse things by talking about 64 bit XP?
09-22-2018, 07:13 PM
Site Staff | Video

Not weird. Site moderation.

Leave the x64, just keep going. It's good to see your thought stream, what you've been trying.

09-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Free Member

It's been a while since I used XP. I foolishly thought XP Pro would be 64 bits. It says Pro right in the name. Wrong. I have Pro 32 bit. That's why the first post is off base.