Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-01-2018, 06:10 AM
Free Member

Hi everybody,
I know someone already treat the subject but in 2 days of google research I can't fix my interlace issue on vhs conversion for editing on the computer (with premiere pro).

During the acquisition process I tried every format to convert the vhs stuff and it seems that the best one is Pal, I check "progressive" but the result is really problematic (horizontal lines on movements).
On VLC it don't affect the video if I try to deinterlace to play it.
Videmux can't read my videos.
I took Divx but I don't find any option to solve my problem.
Try directly on premiere to export it and it didn't change anything.
I'm really lost, someone can help me?
Thank you for you time.

Alice
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Free Member

Most of the time problems arise with .avi files because there is no flagging in avi for the field dominance (progressive is default)

in premiere in the video file properties perhaps you'd have to review & check the field dominance; by default it's either progressive or bottom field when it really should be top field first.
10-02-2018, 10:53 AM
Free Member

I'm missing a lot of info here, should i read an other thread too ? why even bother with a .avi file ? it's already a container file,
Put your file in Handbrake, you can set all you want, or try different things on small parts at first, this should not be such a big problem, or maybe at your capture already something went wrong.
also i don't understand the "angst" for compressed capture codecs, it's not like it is an mpeg codec... ProRes is a great example of a good lossy codec, but visual lossless...
10-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalice View Post
Hi everybody,
I know someone already treat the subject but in 2 days of google research I can't fix my interlace issue on vhs conversion for editing on the computer (with premiere pro).

During the acquisition process I tried every format to convert the vhs stuff and it seems that the best one is Pal, I check "progressive" but the result is really problematic (horizontal lines on movements).
On VLC it don't affect the video if I try to deinterlace to play it.
Videmux can't read my videos.
I took Divx but I don't find any option to solve my problem.
Try directly on premiere to export it and it didn't change anything.
I'm really lost, someone can help me?
Thank you for you time.

Alice
Besides turning your VHS source to garbage with lossy codecs (including Prores. Lossy is lossy. Period), you aren't giving us much info to work with. What does "edit' in Premiere mean? If you mean deinterlacing in Premiere, you're getting second-rate results to begin with. Are you sure it's interlaced and not hard-telecined?

We need a sample of what you're working with, how you're capturing your source, and what you're trying to do with it. No one has any idea what your video looks like or what to advise.
10-04-2018, 01:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I want to reply to other posts here, including the OP, but want to reply to this first:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
why even bother with a .avi file ?
Put your file in Handbrake, you can set all you want
That's sort of like saying "Why cook food or dine out? Just buy a microwave dinner!"
Handbrake is a step above Youtube (aka, the standard for low quality).

Quote:
also i don't understand the "angst" for compressed capture codecs, it's not like it is an mpeg codec... ProRes is a great example of a good lossy codec, but visual lossless...
ProRes422 is in a category by itself (along with DNxHD). You can't compare it to other lossy codecs. Furthermore, the size of the best ProRes422 is about the same as lossless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
garbage with lossy codecs (including Prores. Lossy is lossy. Period),
Not really. If you run ProRes422 at minimum compression (level 1 in FFMPEG version, included in VirtualDub2), then file size and visuals are essentially the same as lossless. It's when you use a default compressed value that quality can be harmed. But even then, with compression, it depends on source. Remember, I'm fine with high-bitrate MPEG, especially the 422 profiles -- and MPEG was a professionally used (often in MXF containers).

Quote:
What does "edit' in Premiere mean? If you mean deinterlacing in Premiere, you're getting second-rate results to begin with.
Yes, please clarify. What sanlyn says is accurate.

Quote:
We need a sample of what you're working with, how you're capturing your source, and what you're trying to do with it.
Yes, please do this.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs