digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Worklflow with L-secam (Mesecam)? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/9100-worklflow-secam-mesecam.html)

Mejnour 10-22-2018 03:04 AM

Worklflow with L-secam (Mesecam)?

Hi Guys,

I am in France now, dealing with L-Secam video (typically old France signal).

I have 2 JVC vcr. HM-DR10000EU and HR-S7600MS.

"EU" deck doesn't support L-SECAM, image is black and white. Fine.

"MS" deck play secam tape normally.

In the 7600MS manual we can read that the TBC/NR function will not work with Secam signal.

On the other hand I was wondering if it would be possible to used a second deck with TBC in passthrough mode to get the benefit of the JVC TBC? I assume that I will need a kind of transcoder Secam--->PAL between the 2 decks to make it work?

Any others workflow for this signal is welcome:hmm:

Mejnour 10-22-2018 05:15 AM

Short EDIT

Playing the secam tape with the MS deck with the color setting on "AUTO", I can capture with ATI AIW with capture filter on "L-secam". The image is unstable (bounce) and color are washy. Same thing if I put the deck in color mode "PAL"
while capture in PAL, but color more vivid.

When a put a second JVC VHS between in passthru mode, I get stabilized image despite that I get the impression that the TBC have no effect in passthru mode. So far it look like passthru is the way to go. New set-up, interesting.

As state in my original post, I put the jvc HM-DR10000EU between, so I had to capture in PAL meaning that the JVCHR-S7600MS did the original color conversion from SECAM to PAL.

I guess if I had 2 "MS" deck, I could do a SECAM capture test in passthru mode....

Mejnour 10-22-2018 11:24 AM

Edit #2

Tapes collection that I am working on are L-secam quality LP.

Would like to know if the same tendancy apply in PAL/SECAM for quality tracking....Panasonic better for LP/EP tracking vs JVC better for SP.

Maybe fellows europeans can gave me input on the topic.

Thanks

NJRoadfan 10-22-2018 12:00 PM

If you have tapes recorded on a French market VCR ("true SECAM" or SECAM-L), the TBC should work on them with a "MS" deck according to the manual. MESECAM or Middle East SECAM tapes are a different format.

Mejnour 10-22-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJRoadfan (Post 56931)
If you have tapes recorded on a French market VCR ("true SECAM" or SECAM-L), the TBC should work on them with a "MS" deck according to the manual. MESECAM or Middle East SECAM tapes are a different format.

As previously stated in my inititial message, unfortunatly TBC doesn't work with SECAM or MESECAM (ref. JVC HR-S7600MS manual):(

hodgey 10-22-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mejnour (Post 56927)
Short EDIT
I guess if I had 2 "MS" deck, I could do a SECAM capture test in passthru mode....

The TBC function in most VCRs doesn't work when passing the signal through, the HM-DR10000EU may be more of an oddball in this regard (maybe it's because it presumably has a video encoder chip somewhere to record analog signals to D-VHS.) I believe the TBC in e.g the HR-S7600 works directly on the rf signal from the tape somewhere before it's modulated to an S-Video or Composite output signal.