digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Running multiple captures on computer? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/9120-running-multiple-captures.html)

theodore1 10-29-2018 05:31 PM

Running multiple captures on computer?

Hello,

LS had asked me to post to share my experience with my test/abuse as he calls it running multiple captures in one session and not recommended.

My objective is to as quickly as possible with little loss capture about 100 family videos and tons of photos in one work horse station.

I have somewhat built that, but this is what i got out of it.

VHS is well, VHS to me and I used two TBCs with JVC VHS' (one workflow bought and provided by LS) the other was from a collection of sources.

Now the details, I am running 1.9 for one capture and 10.5 versions separately with another.

I have windows 10 and found that with this windows version I cannot preview one capture(the 1.9 but i can preview with 10.5. Not a big deal breaker but its ok.

So far, in my perspective, I have not had any loss of frames reported by VDUB. The capture seems to be done well with both running dually. Also with an EPSON FF-680 running on the same usb controller that the capture device is running too.

I save as AVI file of course, and import into TMPEG for color correction chroma key etc because I am not savvy with avisynth. (I paid for the mastering and authoring tools, works for what I need it to do.)

I have 2 more controllers open and could add more PCI to it if needed, but it looks like this system will handle the work load on its own.

its processing at 8 cores 16 threads, 32gig Ram and an ati 1060 (a little over kill) but hey i can surf the net too while these captures are going.

I have also tried encoding as well with TMPEG while the capture was in process and there was still no loss in my opinion. (if i am thinking of video loss/loss of frame correctly)

What are your guys thoughts on running multiple captures through one PC?

I am inclined to push this further and will probably get another workflow to add on top of this.

No visible artifacts known to me, they are just home made family vhs' anyway. No need for overkill quality but just enough to get the video memories out.

Sorry if the post was all over the place, i haven't posted on a forum in like 5 years.

sanlyn 10-29-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theodore1 (Post 57050)

I am inclined to push this further and will probably get another workflow to add on top of this.

If it works,. why not 4 at once? Or more.

Quote:

No visible artifacts known to me

Given your workflow, I'd say that this is extremely doubtful.

theodore1 10-29-2018 06:58 PM

when you say its extremely doubtful does that mean there probably are artifacts on the tape? im sure there are but the tape looks good lol. especially when played on a non large device or scaled down to a smaller square on a larger screen.

lordsmurf 10-30-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Now the details, I am running 1.9 for one capture and 10.5 versions separately with another.

10.5? You mean 1.10.5? I thought 1.10.4 was the current stable release. At any rate, 1.10.x has known issues, both with capture, and some internal filters (like resize). It's not suggested, causes problems. As always, you can try, and may find success, but just remember 1.9.x is more stable for capture. Far fewer people have issues at VirtualDun capture with 1.9.x.

Quote:

I have windows 10 and found that with this windows version I cannot preview one capture(the 1.9 but i can preview with 10.5. Not a big deal breaker but its ok.
The issue is likely related to overlay/preview modes, both the selection, and the advanced settings. While VirtualDub often works at default settings, not every system complies. I do often encode multiple files, with preview function fine on each. Just not capture multiples. "Preview" mode runs at application layer, not graphics layer like "overlay", which in theory is should be fine for multiples. But it doesn't always work that way real-world.

Quote:

I save as AVI file of course, and import into TMPEG for color correction chroma key etc because I am not savvy with avisynth. (I paid for the mastering and authoring tools, works for what I need it to do.)
I've not been overly fond of TMPGEnc for years now, aside from the Smart Renderer for H264 sync and edit needs. It has reduced quality in some areas, but it works. It's not bad, just not as good as some other options. You'll be fine. :)

Quote:

its processing at 8 cores 16 threads, 32gig Ram and an ati 1060 (a little over kill) but hey i can surf the net too while these captures are going.
It doesn't matter. Video needs maybe 1gb worth, and 32-bit capture drivers/apps only understand limited cores and RAM. In this situation, I don't like the term "overkill", sort of like "overqualified". It's simply very adequate to complete the somewhat simpler resource-use task. Video mostly needs I/O, so fast HDD or SSD. Big files.

Quote:

I have also tried encoding as well with TMPEG while the capture was in process and there was still no loss in my opinion. (if i am thinking of video loss/loss of frame correctly)
This is usually unwise. I/O and CPU. While the system may have dedicated cores to each task, a CPU spike in a core can adversely affect the task in a neighboring core, when it requires realtime processing like with video capture. CPU cores are never truly 100% isolated. Core isolation requires virtualization, and capture cannot run virtualized.

Quote:

This is usually a bad idea, specifically due to preview. Graphics modes are selfish, and want to hog the entire overlay mode. When you try to run multiples, problems can happen (visual corruption, BSOD/reboot), or it'll outright refuse to work. Usually the latter, refusal to work. For that reason alone, you have no idea what's happening on the video. You need to monitor video captures, at least every 5-10 minutes.

Quote:

But, that said, computers now are quite a bit more advanced than the capture system we built 10-15 years ago. If you're able to preview each capture, and the system is holding with no reported drops, then you can certainly try this. Personally, I would not do this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanlyn (Post 57052)
Given your workflow, I'd say that this is extremely doubtful.

Why?
workflow = JVC S-VHS + DataVideo TBC + good capture card + using VirtualDub/lossless

NJRoadfan 10-30-2018 08:29 AM

In theory, a modern machine should have zero issue capturing multiple lossless compressed SD video streams (and even HD with the right storage). In practice..... not so much thanks to things like brain dead and buggy capture drivers and software.

Virtualization has made improvements in virtualized I/O (VT-d, etc.), but that stuff can get expensive and complicated to setup. You'd likely have to assign PCIe devices (the USB controller itself) directly to a VM for best results.

theodore1 10-30-2018 11:38 AM

I was thinking about doing this and running vm in win 10 running win 7. But haven't ventured in this yet...or if it's even possible. I am thinking about setting up external monitor so I can at least view the capture on screen from one of the 4 outputs from the tbc...for the virtualdub that I cannot get a preview from on windows 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJRoadfan (Post 57064)
In theory, a modern machine should have zero issue capturing multiple lossless compressed SD video streams (and even HD with the right storage). In practice..... not so much thanks to things like brain dead and buggy capture drivers and software.

Virtualization has made improvements in virtualized I/O (VT-d, etc.), but that stuff can get expensive and complicated to setup. You'd likely have to assign PCIe devices (the USB controller itself) directly to a VM for best results.

theodore1 10-30-2018 10:31 PM

I think I ran into a problem. Any solutions for the following:

I am suspecting that there is audio loss when capturing two at the same time. Its a high pitched electronic sound. Kind of like a retro beepboop sound. I suspect its from running multiple captures at once. I will try the same tapes and see what happens individually without having two vhs' running at once.

If so this is tragic and will be looking for a solution....I am not going down without a fight on this one. Spent too much on the computer too...I will tinker with it this weekend...

I may have found the anomaly why LS recommends not to do this lol...lets see if I can get a viable solution. Video capture is solid though.

hodgey 10-31-2018 07:31 AM

Does it sound a bit like this?
WARNING TURN DOWN THE VOLUME BEFORE LISTENING TO IT.
It sounds like it could be a ground loop problem, I've encountered this when trying to use my Datavideo TBC-3000 which has 2 in and outputs with two machines at the same time. Not sure how to solve it.

You don't need a very powerful computer to just capture though, pretty much anything from the last 10 years should be sufficient. You could get away with something for really cheap or even free.

theodore1 11-02-2018 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgey (Post 57076)
Does it sound a bit like this?
WARNING TURN DOWN THE VOLUME BEFORE LISTENING TO IT.
It sounds like it could be a ground loop problem, I've encountered this when trying to use my Datavideo TBC-3000 which has 2 in and outputs with two machines at the same time. Not sure how to solve it.

You don't need a very powerful computer to just capture though, pretty much anything from the last 10 years should be sufficient. You could get away with something for really cheap or even free.

I don't think this was the same thing. I think I solved it though. For some reason it was ran under "capture device" for audio, I did no select the independent card for each audio input. I tried this today and by selecting the proper audio selection under audio it helped. Also it enabled video preview for both, which was weird. It was only allowing preview for one. maybe this was one of the issues?