Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Free Member

I'm attempting to capture an old VHS tape for a family friend with a JVC VCR. The tape has a lot of starts and stops with blank spaces between them (definitely amateur hour, here). My problem is that the JVC recorder flashes its "VIDEO CALIBRATION" message after each blank spot, and this gets annoying quick. I could edit it out after capture, true, but some of these come over Cute Kid Moments. I don't have a manual for the JVC (SR-VS30), nor do I have the remote. Is there some way to suppress this annoying message?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
I'm attempting to capture an old VHS tape for a family friend with a JVC VCR. The tape has a lot of starts and stops with blank spaces between them (definitely amateur hour, here). My problem is that the JVC recorder flashes its "VIDEO CALIBRATION" message after each blank spot, and this gets annoying quick. I could edit it out after capture, true, but some of these come over Cute Kid Moments. I don't have a manual for the JVC (SR-VS30), nor do I have the remote. Is there some way to suppress this annoying message?
Without the remote you can't switch off the calibration, you should try to find the original or a buy a code programmable remote.
Don't know, if you can "bridge" the gaps with the insert recording function, without the remote....
but i guess the original recordings were not made on your vcr...

Page 73 describes the function switch off
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/i...l_id=MDL101333
11-09-2018, 09:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
the JVC recorder flashes its "VIDEO CALIBRATION" message after each blank spot,
I don't have a manual for the JVC (SR-VS30), nor do I have the remote. Is there some way to suppress this annoying message?
Turn of superimpose/overlay in the JVC menu. Simple. By default, it is turned on.

If you've never gone into the menu, you should also disable R3.

This is one of the few models were JVC calibration is actually helpful. Most models should have that turned off as well.

The manual is here: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/i...l_id=MDL101333
But I'll also attach it here later: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...r-manuals.html
The official is broken into 4 parts, no sense in that. I'll re-merge for my attachment.

And just FYI to other reading this: Never use the DV side. It eats tapes, defect of the model series. You get it for the S-VHS inside. Forget the DV is ever there. Whenever I sold my extras, I purposely blocked off that half of the deck, sometimes even disconnecting its power inside. I tended to customize these in several ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
or a buy a code programmable remote.
Don't do that. I've never seen a universal/programmable that correctly or completely mimics the OEM remote. Just get an official MBR remote, it only costs about $15. The premium remote, made specifically for this unit, is about $25.

Look for the LP20337.
For example: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...m/323506172176
Beware of stock photos!!!
More are used, so inspect the auction images closely. You don't want missing covered, corroded battery slots, or just something nasty. I actually have a few new ones available, recently bought a batch of NOS from a defunct vendor. Wanted a few remotes for my better decks being sold on the marketplace.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
jvc, manual