Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Free Member

Hi Papa Smurf, I'm just new to this community and ran across your post that said you had purchased a bunch of ATI 600 USB devices, would you possibly have anymore of these capture devices for sale?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-28-2018, 09:49 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalliehunter View Post
Hi Papa Smurf, I'm just new to this community and ran across your post that said you had purchased a bunch of ATI 600 USB devices, would you possibly have anymore of these capture devices for sale?
Yes, PM me.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-30-2018, 01:26 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

- ATI AIW is excellent, but requires Windows XP, and not all of the AIW are as perfect as others. The 128 Pro AGP is probably one of the least desirable, right after the AIW PCIe.
Long time lurker- been editing video/repairing equipment since the late 80's. Great site.

I have a DIAMOND ATI TV Wonder HD 600 PCIe coming tomorrow. Disheartening to hear the PCIe version is one of the least desirable of the 600 series, if I am understanding you correctly? I believe it has the Theater 200 chip. Or is the TV Wonder different than the AIW? TV Wonder is capture card only, not display card. Wonder why/how the USB version is better, as my Hauppauge 950 USB captured slightly worse quality than my HVR-1600 PCI.

I have captured with an Intensity Pro thru a TBC, looks good with issues. Best quality, but unreliable.

Aver C027, good, but over sharpens, with greyed out sharpen in proc amp. Reliable captures. Would be best of the lot if sharpening could be turned down. Unable to find registry hack. Was able to mitigate most of the over sharpening via sharpness control on Sony R5 deck, which doesn't seem too well regarded around here. Good quality, possible color smearing on some of the deep reds. Possible surface mount caps issue. Have service manual and scope, tweaked most settings, replaced caps on audio board.

Hauppauge 1600- reliable, but Q not quite as good as above. TBC not absolutely needed, but possible audio sync issues unless TBC used. This is what I originally used for capturing Hi-8 tapes, unfortunately captured in MPEG2, was unaware I could use vdub/lossless with these cards at the time.

I have my XP box ready, SP2, although the HD 600 seems to be able to be used with W7. Will test.
I have 36 8/Hi-8 tapes to re-capture at best quality, using Sony EVS7000 deck. VHS tapes already captured in passable quality. Not important footage, unlike the Hi-8 stuff.
12-30-2018, 01:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryagain View Post
Long time lurker- been editing video/repairing equipment since the late 80's. Great site.
Welcome, and thanks.

Quote:
I have a DIAMOND ATI TV Wonder HD 600 PCIe coming tomorrow. Disheartening to hear the PCIe version is one of the least desirable of the 600 series, if I am understanding you correctly? I believe it has the Theater 200 chip. Or is the TV Wonder different than the AIW?
The PCIe 600 is completely undesirable, has AGC issues, is not at all like the 600 USB, and does not have Theatre 200 chips

Quote:
Wonder why/how the USB version is better, as my Hauppauge 950 USB captured slightly worse quality than my HVR-1600 PCI.
Slightly worse in what way?

Quote:
I have captured with an Intensity Pro thru a TBC, looks good with issues. Best quality, but unreliable.
Yes, Blackmagic cards are an issue even with TBC. Well documented, many valid complaints online.

Quote:
Aver C027, good, but over sharpens
AVer has never made a good card. They rely on Conexan/BT chips (already not the best), but then the drivers are always terrible.

Quote:
Hauppauge 1600- reliable, but Q not quite as good as above. TBC not absolutely needed, but possible audio sync issues unless TBC used. This is what I originally used for capturing Hi-8 tapes, unfortunately captured in MPEG2, was unaware I could use vdub/lossless with these cards at the time.
Also not my favorite. I've never been overly fond of the blurriness of Hauppauge MPEG hardware encoders. Audio sync errors are due to dropped frames in almost all cases, hence why TBC is needed.

Quote:
I have my XP box ready, SP2, although the HD 600 seems to be able to be used with W7. Will test. I have 36 8/Hi-8 tapes to re-capture at best quality, using Sony EVS7000 deck. VHS tapes already captured in passable quality. Not important footage, unlike the Hi-8 stuff.
When willing to use WinXP, ATI AIW should be a first choice always.

12-30-2018, 01:59 PM
Free Member

ATI AIW Graphics cards with capture functionality, while the ATI TV wonder PCI/PCIe cards are capture cards only. Both of these use the ATI Theater chips.

The ATI USB 600 is based on a completely different chip from Texas instruments. I think the Hauppauge 950 has the same hardware. I think there are some other ATI USB cards that use the later theater chips though.

Quote:
Sony R5 deck, which doesn't seem too well regarded around here.
Maybe because it lacks a line TBC, but I don't know too much about the Sony SVHS decks. Maybe they're nice if you got something in the capture chain that can make up for that.

Quote:
AVer has never made a good card. They rely on Conexan/BT chips (already not the best), but then the drivers are always terrible.
This one looks like it uses a trident TV Master 5200 chip actually, no idea how those are though.
12-30-2018, 02:03 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Both of these use the ATI Theater chips.
Theatre Rage/100/200 are completely different from the Theatre 550. Not the same.

12-30-2018, 02:22 PM
Free Member

Quote:
The PCIe 600 is completely undesirable, has AGC issues, is not at all like the 600 USB, and does not have Theatre 200 chips
Thought I read somewhere it has that chip. Should know tomorrow. But if the AGC cannont be turned off, that would be a big problem.

Quote:
Also not my favorite. I've never been overly fond of the blurriness of Hauppauge MPEG hardware
Slightly worse in what way?
Hauppauge 950 USB has slightly softer image than the HVR-1600 PCI. 950 has no proc amp control in my testing, 1600 does. Have not done extensive testing.

Quote:
My tests have shown good images with the Avermedia C027 PCIe card, and no issues with sync. Deal breaking issue is the over sharpening. Hate Media software that came with it, uninstalled.

Looking forward to testing the TVW 600, will report back. (that's what they all say)

Quote:
Maybe because it (Sony R5 SVHS Deck) lacks a line TBC, but I don't know too much about the Sony SVHS decks. Maybe they're nice if you got something in the capture chain that can make up for that.
I have had Sony decks/cameras almost exclusively, and am familiar with their innards. The R5 does not have a TBC to my knowledge. If I had important footage from VHS I would have gone for one of the JVC decks on the list.

Quote:
This one (Aver C027) looks like it uses a trident TV Master 5200 chip actually, no idea how those are though.
Will look at chip when I pull the card, perhaps this week. I really should post some short video captures for you guys to see. I have also done testing on the resolution/color using various S-Video cables. Have pics of waveform monitor/vectorscope. Most are the same, a 3' Monster ($1.99 @ thrift store) was best. One 6' cable was horrible. 12' cables OK, but lose small amount of detail.

The Sony EVS7000 Hi-8 deck does have a TBC, as well as a few proc amp controls in the menu. My particular deck needs some transport tweaking, has a NLA cracked takeup spool gear, (still works, must be careful) and probably needs many surface mount caps replaced. But the image quality is still very good, and I will try to nurse it thru the 42.5 hours of capturing.

Thanks for replies.
01-01-2019, 08:13 PM
Free Member

Happy New Year all. Early tests of TVW HD 600 PCIe not very promising.
Mods feel free to move if not in the correct thread.

Chips on TVW HD 600 card (both marked AMD) are:
218T316ZLA126
P31783.00
01737SS
and
T506 (Theater?)
218T506ALA11G
P30122.00
0733SSP

The following is in my opinion only, after just a few hours testing.
The good-
-Works* on XP or W7.
-Wide range of proc amp sharpness and other controls, XP only*.
-Proc amp has adjustments for Brt, Cont, Hue, Sat, Sharp, the rest are greyed out.

The bad-
-All proc amp controls greyed out using W7, on drivers 6.14.10.256, as well as 6.14.10.394, only ones I tried. No idiot
proof obvious way to change in quick registry check.
-Default level way too bright.
-Non-realtime view while adjusting procs, using Amarec. Will try vdub and Graphedit.
-No way to turn off AGC, which shows up as abrupt step up or down in brightness, seemingly randomly. A fatal flaw for my needs.

I don't know which of the issues are hardware, and which are software.

Going to play around with it a little more. But if I can't defeat the AGC I will probably abandon the card. $24 shipped, no great loss.
May have to end up getting the USB 600 from LS that seems to be well regarded. Would prefer non USB if there are any cards equal to the USB in quality.

Clarifying that my Hauppauge USB 950 is the "Q" version, and apparently has different chips than the 950.
At least they noted the change with the "Q." The Wonder HD 600 series has nearly too many different chips to keep track.

The 950, according to Wiki:

Components used:

Xceive xc3028ACQ (tuner & analog demodulator)
LG DT3303 (digital demodulator)
Texas Instruments tvp5150 (video decoder)
Empiatech em2883 (USB bridge and analog audio)

950Q

Components Used

Xceive XC5000 (tuner and analog demodulator)
Auvitek AU8522 (A/V decoder analog demodulator [not used], and digital demodulator)
Auvitek AU0828 (USB bridge)

Last edited by tryagain; 01-01-2019 at 08:27 PM.
01-01-2019, 08:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Q is a horrible card.

The "950" may be the above, or maybe not. Hauppauge has/had a bad habit of using the same model number for cards that had mid-production changes. The above 950 specs are close to the ATI 600 USB, but Hauppauge install can be less fun than the ATI install. (I actually have an extra 950, confirmed clone, but no extra plug for s-video/composite. You already have the plug, so perhaps we should PM.) The 950 are actually usually more expensive than ATI 600 USB, go figure.

01-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Free Member

It really makes it hard to find a decent card with the lack of readily available info from the manufacturers as to which cards used which chips. Anecdotal info is great, but most of it doesn't always have the detail needed to make an educated decision. And there are so many variables.

But I suppose these cards were not intended for the professional market, or even hyper critical eyes.

And with some of them being 10-20 years old, I suppose we are lucky there is any info available at all, much less the actual hardware and drivers.

I am reminded of my early days with the Pinnacle DC10+. Went thru fits mixing and matching driver versions, making charts to keep track of it all.

Then DV mostly did away with those issues for a while, except for the early msdv file that would add a green hue to any footage it rendered.

It seems to have gone full circle. Very challenging, but ultimately rewarding.

Will PM when I decide on the USB600. Which proc controls are available for that one?
01-01-2019, 09:53 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
It really makes it hard to find a decent card with the lack of readily available info from the manufacturers as to which cards used which chips.
"Preaching to the choir."

Ditto for DVD recorders.

The only way to find this info is to buy and dismantle. I've broken some items over the years, for the sake of research. Oops.

Quote:
Anecdotal info is great, but most of it doesn't always have the detail needed to make an educated decision. And there are so many variables.
Yep. Welcome to the internet.

Quote:
But I suppose these cards were not intended for the professional market, or even hyper critical eyes.
"Professional" has long been abused as a marketing term. Some "professional" equipment isn't fit for kiddies, while some "consumer" (not labeled as anything) is definitely used by professionals. Sometimes pro equipment is truly professional, made for their needs. Some is not, just trying to make money from suckers that think they're using "pro" gear. You see that a lot of video and photo especially.

Quote:
And with some of them being 10-20 years old, I suppose we are lucky there is any info available at all, much less the actual hardware and drivers.
So much stuff has disappeared over the years. We've always tried to archive as much as possible at this site, because I've seen it happening since before I created the site way back in 2002. Back then, it was as my personal notebook, no forum or anything yet.

Quote:
Then DV mostly did away with those issues for a while, except for the early msdv file that would add a green hue to any footage it rendered.
Don't forget DV compression, 4:1:1, yuck.

Quote:
Will PM when I decide on the USB600. Which proc controls are available for that one?
I'll have to report back, but everything should be available in both WinXP and Win7. (I don't use Win10, I'm not into self-punishment. )

01-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Free Member

That's hilarious. I've broken too many things trying to "fix" them "just a little bit mo better."
Now I tend (usually) to accept the limitations of the gear or myself.

Yeah, 3 chip camera DV seemed to look so good back then, compared to the single chip Hi-8 I had been using. Now, looks pretty bad.
I think DVCPro50 had 4:2:2, but still suffered from some of the same what I call stair-step issues as DV.
I suppose it is all relative.

I refuse to work on anyone's computer if it has W10. W7 was bad enough with all of it's "phone home" user experience crap. Took a while to rid my W7 system of all the tasks and other crap.

I still have my DC-10+ PCI, circa 1998ish. Just for giggles popped it into the XP box. W95 compatibility. Sorta worked. 640/480. MJPG only. Tried getting the Canopus DVRaptor card's analog capture working, no luck. Thought I might stumble on some great quality capturing with one of these. Alas, not to be.
01-01-2019, 11:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
That's hilarious. I've broken too many things trying to "fix" them "just a little bit mo better."
Now I tend (usually) to accept the limitations of the gear or myself.
Or buy new stuff.
I probably have you beat on breaking things. In 2012, I started a small fire with a solder gun.

01-02-2019, 10:04 AM
Unconfirmed User

Quote:
Or buy new stuff.
I probably have you beat on breaking things. In 2012, I started a small fire with a solder gun.
I'm sure most of us have a similar story. I dropped my soldering iron in my lap...while wearing shorts. Nice long continuous blister on my leg. Funny now, then, not so much.

Erich