01-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Free Member

What do you think about these capture devices boxes?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763TFZWT...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Would you use a setup with a RCA to HDMI converter and then these kind of boxes to save to a video file?

Thank you!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-07-2019, 04:46 PM
Free Member

What is the source of your capture and what do you plan on doing with it?
The following users thank BarryTheCrab for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-07-2019), ralmino (01-12-2019)
01-07-2019, 08:53 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
That doesn't do what you think it does, not at all intended for capturing videotapes.
Waste of money, don't get that.

Answer Barry's question: What is the source of your capture and what do you plan on doing with it?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: ralmino (01-12-2019)
01-08-2019, 11:35 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
That doesn't do what you think it does, not at all intended for capturing videotapes.
Waste of money, don't get that.

Answer Barry's question: What is the source of your capture and what do you plan on doing with it?
Sorry, I'm brand new to the community, but basically what lordsmurf here said. The Avermedia Capture Cards are typically used for gaming captures, which differ from tape captures in terms of input. What you're looking for is a capture card with AV inputs, that is, the red, white, and yellow cords.

You can still find them on Amazon, and they're usually less than $100 depending on the model you get. Try avoiding the EZCap brand entirely, since they tend to have issues from people I know who've used them. I've heard good things about Dazzle, and having used Hauppauge before, I'd say these two brands are good bets.
The following users thank Binzhou5 for this useful post: ralmino (01-12-2019)
01-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTheCrab View Post
What is the source of your capture and what do you plan on doing with it?
I have been reading some threads in this forum about converting VHS to DVD/ video file. I would say that I am a medium knowledge level user. I would like to convert some VHS tapes (maybe a total of 20) with family videos.

All the tapes are in PAL-M, which is the brazilian format - a little but different from PAL.

I would like to convert them to a video format file (not to DVD) and with the best quality possible. If possible uncompressed, so that I can edit it (or have it edited) later.

I don't know if it would be cheaper and less time consuming to have someone convert them or to buy the equipment (VCR - PAL-M compatible, capture card etc).
01-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Free Member

Less consuming of your time to hire it out so some service provider. It will take perhaps 1.5x the length of the tapes in time to do the conversion from tape to computer-readable files once you have a system setup. Add to that and editing and restoration you plan to do, which can easily be more than the initial digitizing time, plus the learning curve.

Cost to hire it out will depend on what is available in your region, and what services you want performed by the service provider. Simple VHS-to-DVD services start at around US$20 per tape in the USA, but that is a quick and dirty dump to DVD format with no editing or restoration. Finding competent service providers can be problematic as well. (FWIW data DVD is not a practicable delivery format for uncompressed (or even lossless compressed) video files, they are too large. It good for final files to be viewed by end users.)

Cost to DIY is of course the time and learning curve plus equipment. Much of the equipment cost can be recovered if you sell it when done. An unknown is the availability of quality equipment in Brazil, if that is where you are.

IMO
Quote:
...the best quality possible.
is an open ended criteria that can drive cost in time and equipment through the roof. However, you have come to an excellent source of information on how to get it done.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: ralmino (01-12-2019)
01-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralmino View Post
I would like to convert them to a video format file (not to DVD) and with the best quality possible. If possible uncompressed, so that I can edit it (or have it edited) later.
No, don't capture uncompressed. It's more demanding of CPU and high hard drive i/o activity, often causes dropped frames and/or audio sync problems. This forum and others have always recommended VHS capture to lossless huffYUV and YUY2 colorspace, using capture devices optimized for analog video sources, and usually with VirtualDub or AmerecvTV software. An updated VirtualDub capture guide is posted at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html. Lossless compression is a universal standard for edits/cleanup/restoration/repair and highest quality archive. From lossless media you can encode to any format you want.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: archivarious (09-08-2020), ralmino (01-12-2019)
01-12-2019, 04:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Less consuming of your time to hire it out so some service provider. It will take perhaps 1.5x the length of the tapes in time to do the conversion from tape to computer-readable files once you have a system setup. Add to that and editing and restoration you plan to do, which can easily be more than the initial digitizing time, plus the learning curve.

Which good professional services would you recommend? I have contacted the DigitalFAQ service a few days ago, but no answer so far (maybe did something wrong?)....
01-12-2019, 02:14 PM
Free Member

I expect that DFAQ will respond; some may be fighting the current snow storm in the midwest.

Sorry but I have no specific recommendations for transfer services. I have not had occasion to use them.