Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-05-2019, 08:57 AM
Free Member

For years I have used my Canopus ADVC100 to have VHS transferred via mini DV/firewire cable to PC. Then after getting a new PC i had to tweak it to firewire 400/800 out to thunderbolt 2 to the PC.....

NOW, with a new PC which has thunderbolt 3, i daisy chained the thunderbolt 2->3 adapter to the firewire, BUT, for the life of me I can not get the video to show up on PC (tried Sony Vegas, WinDV, even the very old scenalyzer!)

I am seeking either help with a solution (is it settings? or something I need to do with the "pins" on backside of canopus?) or need suggestions on alternative method.

Current equipment:
Dell XPS 7760 AIO running Win 10 home (i know this is not a dedicated PC for video, but also needed to satisfy the wifes request of the desk looking clean!): Intel i7-7700 @ 3.60GHz, 16gb RAM, with thunderbolt 3 inputs x2.

Canopus ADVC100 (been using for years and it suits my purpose, although in reading some guides here, it sounds like an upgrade or modification is in order?)

VCR is a JVC vp653u which i know is nowhere near on the list of preferred models, but i just now found your wonderfully informative forum, so may be searching for a model with TBC!

This won't be a majorly longterm issue as I probably have a couple hundred VHS tapes to review and transfer, so hoping I can modify current set up, but understand if i am out of options!

I was even thinking about Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt, but know nothing about how it works with Win10.
Thanks!

Last edited by darengibo; 01-05-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Free Member

I don't know whether or not Thunderbolt can provide the necessary backward comparability. I generally use a PCI IEEE1394 card in new PCs. MS and others have moved away from the IEEE1394 port. It is no longer found on most PC motherboards or laptops.

This may be an additional issue: Win 10 does NOT provide the IEEE1394 (aka: firewire) needed for legacy equipment such as the ADVC devices (and many camcorders). You will likely need the so called "Legacy OHCI IEEE1394" driver. (The driver Windows automatically installs by default will not work with many legacy devices even if they show up in Device manager.) While that legacy driver was distributed (but not automatically installed) with Win 7 it was not distributed with Win 10. To install it you need to download the version of the driver for Win 8 and install it manually into Win 10.

While the ADVC devices work for capture to DV format, as you have noted that is not an ideal format for restoration work.

If you haven't already, visit the BlackMagicDesign forums to get a feel for what users think of the products and support. I have read elsewhere that the Intensity Shuttle is fussy about the USB chip sets, and may have issues with Thunderbolt on a PC.

Last edited by dpalomaki; 01-05-2019 at 10:29 AM.
01-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Free Member

Thanks! I did locate the legacy IEEE 1394 driver and believe I installed it (can't figure out how to confirm?).
01-05-2019, 02:19 PM
Free Member

You can identify the driver in Windows by:

Control Panel -> Device Manager -> IEEE 1394 Bus host controller -> [your device] -> Driver

Click on Update Driver to change it if necessary.
01-06-2019, 08:14 AM
Free Member

Well, i am getting closer (I think). my PC now recognizes the Canopus/VCR in both Sony Vegas and STOIK. WinDV not so much as a pop up states "Go Video could not open source due to being open in other program" or something like that...

While I will keep tweaking, I am also scanning the marketplace for an upgrade on VCR. Man I wish I would have had my dad keep all of his!
01-06-2019, 08:23 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darengibo View Post
While I will keep tweaking, I am also scanning the marketplace for an upgrade on VCR. Man I wish I would have had my dad keep all of his!
I know the feeling. I still kick myself for recycling my parents' old XP Dell which had an AGP slot motherboard...

Tags
canopus, vhs