02-03-2017, 07:45 PM
Free Member

I have just joined up as a premium member for the first time. I am a Mac user who tried Canopus and learned about DV mush first hand before I found your helpful website explaining the advantages of transfering VHS to digital on a PC.

I have several family VHS tapes and many sports documentaries - that I cannot find on DVD - so after being being disappointed with the Canopus, I have decided to try your experienced apprach with a PC and ATI All-In-Wonder HuffYUV capture. I have purchased the Datavideo TBC 1000 and a JVC SR-10U.

If I bought a JVC HR-S9900U, would I see any difference compared to the JVC SR-10U used with the Datavideo TBC 1000?

From your advice I will need to try to put together a PC with Pentium 4 processor that has an AGP motherboard for the ATI AIW and a Turtle Beach sound card. Are there any other processors I should consider buying with an AGP Motherboard for the ATI AIW MMC 8.7 or 9.02 (Vidoesoap) versions. I also saw in a post it is best to use the Windows XP SP2 version.

Which ATI AIW card should I look to buy to be able to use these two versions of MMC? Would the AGP (Rage Theatre Chipset) ATI AIW Radeon 7500 or ATI AIW Radeon 850) work? Would the AGP (Theatre 200 chipset) ATI AIW 9000 through 9800 Pro and the ATI AIW 2006 Edition AGP8x work just as well with the MMC 8.7 or 9.02 versions?

Is it possible to download MMC 8.7 or 9.02 versions with Videosoap and instrution manual?

Which of the Turtle Beach sound cards would you recommend?

Would I use Virtualdub to record the transfer? I have seen you recommend recording in HuffYUV AVI codec. I will eventually finish editing and outputing from a Mac. Do I need to do all the color correction and tweeking of the HuffYUV file before converting it to ProRes422 to finish editing and outputting the final video on my Mac?

When I am looking for these older used parts, I am hoping to get it right with your helpful guidance. Thank you.

Last edited by friendhello; 02-03-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: improve sentences
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Welcome.

Canopus DV boxes work passably for some things, but not others. Being disappointed, especially after having been subjected to all their BS marketing, is sadly too typical.

You need the external TBC regardless of what VCR is used -- and regardless of the VCR having an internal TBC. Both correct, but the functions are different.

See also: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

So, knowing that, your question is SR-V10/101 vs HR-S9600/9800/9900. The answer? It depends. These have different strengths and weaknesses. It fully depends on your source tapes. The difference are generally not huge, but can be for some tapes. Neither is better, just slightly different. Overall, yes, the 9600+ series machines are better.

You don't want the 2006 ATI AIW, too many quirks. Anything from the 7200 to the 9800 is fine. The 7000s have VGA, the 9000s have DVI. My favorite is the 9600, but it can also have some quirks, The AGP are better than the PCI, and both are better than the PCIe. But all work great. The differences are minor.

I'm not longer sure that VideoSoap matters that much. If you have time and space, lossless AVI and Avisynth/VirtualDub will degrain better. It really depends on your wants and needs. I'm thinking that you really want lossless, not MPEG. At least given what I'm reading so far, about "better than DV", etc. MPEG (ATI AIW) is better, yes, but AVI can be better still.

We have many versions of ATI installers available here.

See also: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-hacks.html

And I'll be adding some more ISOs when I have time. I've been collecting some for a while now.

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. Available on eBay for about $20 or less.

Huffyuv really doesn't have any tweaks at all. It just records when it's fed for SD. I think you refer to restoring in Avisynth or VirtualDub first, then exporting to a Mac. Mac (via Perian) can read Huffyuv. You can convert it to Prores422 as part of your editing project.

I really like the rarer Asrock board that allow dual/quad-core Intels with AGP. Then you get the best of both worlds. However, those do not appear on eBay much, and are $100+ (item+shipping) when they do. The same for AGP AMD AM2+/AM3 boards. Another option is the PCI cards with a newer CPU and board that lacks AGP (and you just do not use the PCIe). And, of course, the AGP board with single-core CPUs, and you have many choices there.

Example of AMD quad AGP: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AsRock-AM2NF...UAAOSwMgdXyAMB
Not cheap, but worth it to some of us.

Hopefully that helped clarify some things?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: archivarious (01-15-2021)
02-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Free Member

Thank you lordsmurf for your guidance. I will do the best I can to gather the parts as you have suggested.
12-22-2018, 07:35 AM
Free Member

I just upgraded my P4 AGP capture rig to a Core 2 Duo and thought I'd add to the motherboard suggestions. The ECS P4M800PRO-M V2.0 can take a E6700 (not a quad) with a BIOS flash and sell for <50 on ebay. Must verify the mobo Version number and may need an older P4 to flash an older BIOS... There may be other brands LGA775 AGP boards with VIA P4M800 chipset that are similar. I really like the improvement over the P4, much cooler and faster (I don't think a quad core makes a difference when capturing). There is also a seller with new AIW9000 OEM cards, they don't come with cables, but the Video In is the common 'purple' one, and no need for the Video Out (audio loopback) when audio wired internally between AIW and sound card.
12-22-2018, 07:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI_hobby View Post
I just upgraded my P4 AGP capture rig to a Core 2 Duo and thought I'd add to the motherboard suggestions. The ECS P4M800PRO-M V2.0 can take a E6700 (not a quad) with a BIOS flash and sell for <50 on ebay. Must verify the mobo Version number and may need an older P4 to flash an older BIOS... There may be other brands LGA775 AGP boards with VIA P4M800 chipset that are similar. I really like the improvement over the P4, much cooler and faster (I don't think a quad core makes a difference when capturing).
I've always disliked ECS boards. But still, good info, as the better Asrock boards are not cheap (never were, still are not).

I see this useful info at another site:
Quote:
VIA PT880Pro/Ultra:
- AsRock 775Dual-880Pro (Pentium D support needs BIOS P1.20 or newer)
- AsRock 775Dual-VSTA
- AsRock 4CoreDual-SATA2
- AsRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0
- AsRock 4CoreDual-VSTA
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880P Combo (only ver 2.0 or newer supports 65 nm CPUs)
- ASUS P5VDC-X
- ASUS P5VD1-X
- Biostar PT880 Pro-A7 Combo
- PT880 Pro-A7
- Biostar PT880 Pro-A7 DDR2
- ECS PT880PRO-A
- Epox 5VEAI
More at: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php...lit=socket+478

Personally, I'd avoid anything not made by Asrock, Gigabyte, or Asus (and in that preference order). That's good motherboard advice in general.

Quote:
There is also a seller with new AIW9000 OEM cards, they don't come with cables, but the Video In is the common 'purple' one, and no need for the Video Out (audio loopback) when audio wired internally between AIW and sound card.
You need to be very careful with the input/output wires. If the monitor output is on a bundle cable, not direct on the card, you can't plug it in. There's too many deceptive eBay sellers with incomplete ATI cards for the past year or two.

However, these two specific auctions should be fine:
- http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...M/372017479818
- http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...P/312048121250

12-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Free Member

I have the AIW 9000 from the first link (didn't even see the 9800SE) Nice these have DVI output, and I have more 'purple' block A/V input cables than I can count having tinkered with AIW since the 128 Pro days. I also just picked up a X800XT AGP (on-board DVI and VGA), without I/O cables, but that dongle is same as the more common X600 Pro PCI-E (different from the X800XL PCI-E with on-board DVI, but VGA output in the dongle).

Nice list of AGP mobos, and the color coding is great in the original link you pasted. I went by a LGA775 AGP ebay search, then checked for compatibility and whether BIOS downloads are still available. The ECS was available and at a good price.
12-22-2018, 05:06 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I've always disliked ECS boards. But still, good info, as the better Asrock boards are not cheap (never were, still are not).

Personally, I'd avoid anything not made by Asrock, Gigabyte, or Asus (and in that preference order). That's good motherboard advice in general.

I'd be curious if an Asrock 775i65G R3 would pass muster for capture.

I have a board laying around still in the box, but have never installed memory or cpu. My assumption would be an E5800 and plain DDR maybe some Kingston. But I've not a lot of experience comparing the pros and cons for video capture.

aiw 9000 and 9600 are also on hand.
12-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Free Member

If the E5800 is an upgrade from a P4 then I'd say capture would be much improved, can probably max out ATI MMC real-time mpeg2 capture bitrate/options without dropping frames and less power. Uncompressed AVI capture probably wouldn't make a difference (except for power). I don't know how AMD CPU's would compare, but I had an experience with AIW 128 Pro PCI and Phenom II X6, where ATI MMC VideoSoap feature was unavailable and 'greyed out' for whatever reasons, and this wasn't the case on an Intel board.

A Core2Duo is about 2X faster than a P4 at the same speed, and no comparison between hyperthreading and a second core, plus the lower power...

Last edited by ATI_hobby; 12-22-2018 at 06:31 PM.
01-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI_hobby View Post
can probably max out ATI MMC real-time mpeg2 capture bitrate/options without dropping frames
Uncompressed AVI capture probably wouldn't make a difference
That's exactly it.

Tags
agp, aiw, building, mmc