01-29-2019, 03:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I think he's capturing to lossless, exporting from VirtualDub via x264vfw just for the sample needs.

I've not looked at the sample yet, wrong computer, but I had already guessed there may be timing errors (from lack of TBC). The AIW USB is the capture card, so the unknown is the VCR. I doubt he has a middle TBC of any kind, meaning that at least an ES15 is probably in order here.

@Mazufa: confirm this.

My Recorder is the Panasonic NV-HS1000, the s-vhs Recorder. This Recorder is also a TBC which is also used in that videoclip.

I hope you could give me clear instructions on hijacking settings. i am must be able to edit your videos afterwards high-guality.

My Capture card is ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0N. I have bought a card lordsmurf.

I will continue with video capture only after I have received from your the good advice!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-29-2019, 03:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Ouch. I didn't think x264vfw (which is old) could even keep up without dropping massive frames, or just failing/crashing altogether. Yeah, don't do tat mazufa, capture lossless. Encode to x264 later if needed, not live capture.

Good catch sanlyn.

If NV-HS1000 is being used, it may be nth gen source. I just need to look from my video machine later, not available at the moment.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-29-2019, 03:32 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
The images posted on the offline site show that he is apparently capturing to h.264 using VirtualDub. The posted images are 3968x2976 jpg. Below is a resize of one of them:

The download is a 15-minute h.264 low-bitrate video (436MB) and three 4K jpg captures of VDub capture dialog windows, which are zipped onsite and then downloaded. This takes about 20 minutes. Fortunately the owner seems to have huffyuv correctly installed, so a short lossless YUY2 capture should be possible.
Yeah. I've been using H.264. But I have not actually installed the software software huffyuv.
01-29-2019, 03:40 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazufa View Post
Yeah. I've been using H.264. But I have not actually installed the software software huffyuv.
Install it, use it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Mazufa (01-29-2019)
01-29-2019, 04:02 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Install it, use it.
Will I then take a new video clip for your forums?

Why does huffyuv appear in my virtualdub program even though I haven't installed it yet?

Could someone give me the exact installation instructions for installing huffyuv on Windows xp 32bit system? Obviously I also need to execute a command prompt command? Could someone give me the correct command prompt command, and the huffyuv installation file?

Thanks!
01-29-2019, 05:08 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
The VirtualDub capture dialog shows that you have huffYUV v2.x installed, which might have been installed with a codec package of some kind. The version shown is one of the preferred versions of huffYUV. It works with YUY2 and RGB video and is preferred for capture because it is efficient and does not require high CPU power. Lossless codecs such as huffYUV and Lagarith are required for high quality captures, editing, and filtering. These codecs are 100% lossless. You should not use lossy codecs like h.264 or MPEG until the very last encoding step.

If you need help creating a short video sample min lossless YUY2, just ask. I listed instructions earlier, in post #18.
01-29-2019, 05:16 AM
Free Member

Quote:
The VirtualDub capture dialog shows that you have huffYUV v2.x installed, which might have been installed with a codec package of some kind. The version shown is one of the preferred versions of huffYUV. It works with YUY2 and RGB video and is preferred for capture because it is efficient and does not require high CPU power. Lossless codecs such as huffYUV and Lagarith are required for high quality captures, editing, and filtering. These codecs are 100% lossless. You should not use lossy codecs like h.264 or MPEG until the very last encoding step.

If you need help creating a short video sample min lossless YUY2, just ask. I listed instructions earlier, in post #18.
Do I need to download all of these? I have Windows XP 32 bit. Do I still need to download some other add-ons to capture a lossless video? Now, for the next hijacking, I want high-guality settings for my digital video.

https://aijaa.com/h0yeOp
01-29-2019, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Do I need to download all of these? I have Windows XP 32 bit. Do I still need to download some other add-ons to capture a lossless video? Now, for the next hijacking, I want high-guality settings for my digital video.

https://aijaa.com/h0yeOp
No, and it is good that you asked. Do not download anything shown on that page in the image. And you already have VirtualDub. The versions of huffYUV shown in the image should not be used. Be careful about downloading big filter packs for VirtualDub, because many of the filters are often obsolete and will cause problems. Download filters and codecs only when they are needed.

Try to capture with the version of huffYUV that is shown in your capture window. If it doesn't work, let us know.
01-29-2019, 05:27 AM
Free Member

Quote:
No, and it is good that you asked. Do not download anything shown on that page in the image. And you already have VirtualDub. The versions of huffYUV shown in the image should not be used. Be careful about downloading big filter packs for VirtualDub, because many of the filters are often obsolete and will cause problems. Download filters and codecs only when they are needed.

Try to capture with the version of huffYUV that is shown in your capture window. If it doesn't work, let us know.
Can you give me the download link to the right huffyuv version? I could then install it and capture a lossless video.

Thanks!
01-29-2019, 05:35 AM
Premium Member

The image you posted earlier shows that you have Huffyuv v2.1.1 CCESP Patch already installed. This is one of the preferred versions of the codec. Try using it for a short capture before installing something else.
01-29-2019, 05:38 AM
Free Member

Quote:
The image you posted earlier shows that you have Huffyuv v2.1.1 CCESP Patch already installed. This is one of the preferred versions of the codec. Try using it for a short capture before installing something else.
I just don't understand why it's installed. I haven't installed it myself there. Could it be that it was ready for the program?
01-29-2019, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

If it was not installed, it would not be shown in the list of codecs VirtualDub's window. it could be that you downloaded a VirtualDub "package" that was suppied with some codecs, such as huffYUV and XVid. It could have been installed with a codec pack that contained other codecs. But you should try using it before you install something you don't need.
01-29-2019, 06:14 AM
Free Member

Its version is v.2.1.1on it OK?

Could you tell me what settings I'll put before hijacking?

I'll link to this image link to see my current settings.

https://aijaa.com/DJRnxJ
01-29-2019, 06:21 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
If NV-HS1000 is being used, it may be nth gen source. I just need to look from my video machine later, not available at the moment.
The h.264 example appears to be an edit and voice over from another edited tape, and looks like a multi-generation tape. The editing work is pretty good, but the tape is considerably damaged and doesn't track well, and appears to consist of edits made from other tapes. The h.264 has bad frame hops and top border flagging, which is either copy protection or false copy protection errors. There are frequent dropouts, rips, and broken (total dropout) frames. The h.264 is a very low bitrate to begin with and won't hold up well for restoration or re-encoding.

Quote:
Its version is v.2.1.1on it OK?
Could you tell me what settings I'll put before hijacking?
I'll link to this image link to see my current settings.
https://aijaa.com/DJRnxJ
The settings are correct as shown in the image.
01-29-2019, 06:25 AM
Free Member

Quote:
The settings are correct as shown in the image.
Alright. I have not changed them they were about ready.

What other settings do I have to put in? Which file format do I choose, and where can I choose it?
01-29-2019, 06:41 AM
Premium Member

Top menu: "Video.." -> "set custom format" -> 720x576.

Or you can also use "Video..." -> "Capture pin..." :"
- - frame rate; 25.00
- - Color space YUY2
- - Output size: 720x576

Some of the above values might already be set by default.

Top menu: "Video..." -> "Capture filters...", should already be set for your version of "PAL".

Settings guide, post #3. There are other sections showing various settings. But for now you can accept most of the PAL defaults, which is what you did when you made the h.264 capture.
01-29-2019, 08:06 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Top menu: "Video.." -> "set custom format" -> 720x576.

Or you can also use "Video..." -> "Capture pin..." :"
- - frame rate; 25.00
- - Color space YUY2
- - Output size: 720x576

Some of the above values might already be set by default.

Top menu: "Video..." -> "Capture filters...", should already be set for your version of "PAL".

Settings guide, post #3. There are other sections showing various settings. But for now you can accept most of the PAL defaults, which is what you did when you made the h.264 capture.
I get this error message when I try to set the YUY2 data format.

I've chosen to capture AVI so maybe it is because of that? Where does the virtualdub program get to the capture mode from elsewhere? I attach an image to this error message.

https://aijaa.com/XvTuax

https://aijaa.com/Ph9bk6

-- merged --

Undeniably, my work is really slow at least at the beginning, because everything has to be learned. Virtualdub is still quite a strange program, and everything has to be learned. I don't know much about vhs-digitalisation and I have to learn everything.

I have not yet been able to start hijacking because I have not been able to set the settings as they should be.

I don't have a separate sound card for digitizing the computer, but the sounds come from ATI TV Wonder usb 2.0N. I would have one Soundblaster, and I don't know if it should be put in place? But I don't know how to combine the sound of the tape recorder. I use an S-video cable and two separate audio cables red and white.
01-29-2019, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

Sound from the VCR connects to the ATI USB, and is managed by the ATI device and its software.

VirtualDub does not decide the colorspace. VirtualDub allows only the color and formats supported by your capture device. Those are functions of the capture drivers for your ATI device. The error message is telling you that the ATI capture drivers are not correctly installed.

Quote:
Undeniably, my work is really slow at least at the beginning, because everything has to be learned. Virtualdub is still quite a strange program, and everything has to be learned. I don't know much about vhs-digitalisation and I have to learn everything.
Everyone here has had to learn the same way, regardless of how they capture. Don't feel alone.
01-29-2019, 11:12 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Sound from the VCR connects to the ATI USB, and is managed by the ATI device and its software.

VirtualDub does not decide the colorspace. VirtualDub allows only the color and formats supported by your capture device. Those are functions of the capture drivers for your ATI device. The error message is telling you that the ATI capture drivers are not correctly installed.
What should I do to get digitalised? I installed the driver for the ATI AIW USB 2. nstalled all the contents of the driver cd on the computer. What I have done wrong? I didn't get a virtualdub color code set in the program because it wasn't in the choices. Will I install a sound card on my machine? The driver should be properly installed but what can I do to fix the problems?

-- merged --

lordsmurf. I am you done something wrong with installing ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0N driver? I installed everything on my computer, not just a driver. Can you give me detailed instructions on installing the driver?

I haven't been able to digitize today at all because there have been problems. This start seems very difficult. I just hope I learned.

-- merged --

I still have two problems. In color mode selection, I cannot select the color mode YUY2. Another problem is the error message format selection shown in the figure. I have installed the ATI TV Wonder USB driver 2.0N new. I am enclosing this picture of the settings with which I installed the ATI driver, and the image format of the error message virtualdub program. I hope you help me. Also tell me if the settings are OK?

Look at the pictures.

https://aijaa.com/ZwPuCP
01-29-2019, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

In the VirtualDub capture window, top menu, under "Device...", what is the title of the capture device that you have selected in the menu?

Also note that huffyuv cannot compress UYVY. It can work only with YUY2 or RGB.