Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

I'm looking at different S-Video switches, and most of them have reviews that say they affect the picture quality, so I'm hesitant to buy them. I only need 3-4 inputs, 1 out. Are there any switches/ splitters that users here would recommend? Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-03-2019, 01:17 PM
Free Member

Never heard that s-video switchers existed ! HDMI yes....
My guess they made them digital... and that has a bad effect.. since s-video is ANALOG !
so best... just plug or unplug your cables, and keep these cables as short possible,
Because you do want to have optimal quality capture results, is my guess, which is the most important objective.
02-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Switchers are never recommended.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-03-2019, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the quick replies... I figured that they would introduce noise, but I have also seen threads on videohelp that said they have one that doesn't effect quality, but didn't say who made it... I have some unique mobility restraints that makes it difficult to swap cables on the back each time, and I'm sure that would wear out the plugs over time. As I was typing this, I just had the idea of using some short s-video extensions to move the cable swapping part out where I can get to it easy. As long as the extensions are good quality, should work, right?
02-03-2019, 03:33 PM
Site Staff | Video

Neither swap s-video (at the device), nor use switchers.

Instead get s-video extension cables, and swap connections at that juncture. I've rarely seen extensions have any effect on quality, whereas with non-pro switchers it's common. I use extensions frequently, but coiled up near the source, as the constant swapping at the device can wear it out (and thus cause an expensive repair). Just don't coil, run it the full 3-6 feet to a more convenient location.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: drzapp (02-05-2019)
02-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Unconfirmed User

Interesting, I had always heard it's OK to coil shielded cables as long as you aren't coiling a mix of power and signal cables too close together.

Erich
02-03-2019, 04:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

I only coil the s-video extensions, maybe 3-4 wraps each, not intertwined with anything else. I use the 3-foot extensions from Monoprice, and have no issues. If anything, the extensions seem to be better quality than some of the JVC cables I use. After my last JVC VCR s-video port cost about $250 to fix 7 years ago, I moved to extensions for gear that I often switch.

02-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

I thought about using a s-video switch box for my needs as well. After reading several of LS's posts about not using them I decided to build my own s-video patch panel.

I use a 6U rack with a 1U-12 hole Neutrik D-hole panel with s-video feedthrough jacks (6 VCR connections, 1 VHS-C/HI8 connection) as my out signal from the VCR's. A 2U-24 hole Neutrik D-hole panel with s-video feedthrough jacks for connecting to TBC's, Proc Amps, and Detailers. I use 18" s-video cables for connecting the i/o's of the equipment I want use for a particular tape. I have added a 2U-24 port Keystone panel with feedthrough RCA jacks that connect tyo each VCR's audio. My capture system inputs are on the 1U panel (2 s-video, 1 fire-wire, and 1 HDMI)as well.

I went this route to minimize any possible movement of the equipment. I was terrified after reading several posts about loose/broken s-video connections with their equipment.

The biggest issue I have had so far is finding QUALITY s-video feedthrough jacks. But overall I am happy with the setup and makes life a little easier when working with many different pieces of equipment.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions about the setup please let me know.

Will
The following users thank Sergei316 for this useful post: sevarre (07-17-2019)
02-03-2019, 04:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei316 View Post
I decided to build my own s-video patch panel.
I've always found custom/mod projects like this to be neat and interesting.
Please post some pictures when you get time.

02-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

Sure thing. I will post some pictures when I get home tonight.

Will
02-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Here are the photos of the s-video/sound patch panel.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0429.jpg (64.7 KB, 64 downloads)
File Type: jpg KIMG0428.jpg (92.2 KB, 48 downloads)
File Type: jpg KIMG0427.jpg (61.7 KB, 32 downloads)
File Type: jpg KIMG0431.JPG (56.1 KB, 30 downloads)
File Type: jpg KIMG0430.JPG (53.2 KB, 34 downloads)
The following users thank Sergei316 for this useful post: drzapp (02-05-2019), lordsmurf (02-03-2019), sevarre (07-17-2019), VideoTechMan (07-16-2019)
02-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei316 View Post
I thought about using a s-video switch box for my needs as well. After reading several of LS's posts about not using them I decided to build my own s-video patch panel.

I use a 6U rack with a 1U-12 hole Neutrik D-hole panel with s-video feedthrough jacks (6 VCR connections, 1 VHS-C/HI8 connection) as my out signal from the VCR's. A 2U-24 hole Neutrik D-hole panel with s-video feedthrough jacks for connecting to TBC's, Proc Amps, and Detailers. I use 18" s-video cables for connecting the i/o's of the equipment I want use for a particular tape. I have added a 2U-24 port Keystone panel with feedthrough RCA jacks that connect tyo each VCR's audio. My capture system inputs are on the 1U panel (2 s-video, 1 fire-wire, and 1 HDMI)as well.

I went this route to minimize any possible movement of the equipment. I was terrified after reading several posts about loose/broken s-video connections with their equipment.

The biggest issue I have had so far is finding QUALITY s-video feedthrough jacks. But overall I am happy with the setup and makes life a little easier when working with many different pieces of equipment.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions about the setup please let me know.

Will
Now that is impressive! Where did you get the good s-video jacks- I'm inspired to make one of these (though on a much smaller scale)
02-04-2019, 05:33 PM
Free Member

The simplest, lowest cost, 4:1 S-video source selector switch is something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Rca-S-Video-S...deo+switch+box
This is but one of many makes/models/brands.
Are they any good? OK for casual viewing, but they can be prone to cross talk and impedance variation issues (reflections/ghosts) depending on configuration if you application is critical.
02-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
The simplest, lowest cost, 4:1 S-video source selector switch is something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Rca-S-Video-S...deo+switch+box
This is but one of many makes/models/brands.
Are they any good? OK for casual viewing, but they can be prone to cross talk and impedance variation issues (reflections/ghosts) depending on configuration if you application is critical.
I looked at this model and was tempted to give a try but talked myself out of it because of the issues that you and LS described.

The feedthrough jacks seem to be the best option.
02-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzapp View Post
Now that is impressive! Where did you get the good s-video jacks- I'm inspired to make one of these (though on a much smaller scale)
Thanks!!

There are several options for svideo jacks.

Neutrik D-Hole Panel Jacks:
TechNec SV-4BCM -- Pretty good quailty, very hard to find, should use round ended svideo cables
TechNec SV4-BLCM/ND -- Excellent quality, more expensive
CalRad Electronics 35-498BH -- Excellent quality, more expensive, must drill a blank 1U plate with 1/2 bit
Switchcraft EHSVHS2B -- Excellent quality, very expensive

Keystone Hole Jacks
You can find them anywhere. eBay has them 10 for $7 with free shipping. Quality on them is OK. The problem is that some cable fit tight into the jack and some are loose. It all depends on the jack. The other issue with the keystone svideo jacks is the position of the svideo jack itself in the jack holder. Some are turned left, some a turned right, some are turned upside down and that drove me nuts trying to swap cables. I tried to straighten them out by unscrewing them from the keystone jack and re-positioning them but it was tedious and very frustrating getting them straight. I bought blank Neutrik plates and drilled my own holes to mount the jacks the way I wanted.

I like the Neutrik style jacks the best. They are all better quality then the keystone jacks.

I am still testing with different jacks and cables to find a setup that I feel will withstand plugging and unplugging cables many times in a capture session. Bottom line is I dont not have to touch any of the electronics jacks again unless a main cable goes bad.

The most cost effective way is the Keystone Jacks and Panels.

Hope that helps.

Will
The following users thank Sergei316 for this useful post: drzapp (02-05-2019), ofesad (07-17-2019)
07-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Free Member

I know this post is several months old, but recently I have acquired the Extron matrix video switchers....the ones I have are 8x4 and use all BNC connections, but I found them useful to use like a patch panel to connect several decks to one unit. I gotten the S-Video to BNC-Y adapters to be able to connect those decks to the switcher as well. My quick test of them showed to work pretty well with no interference from other signals that I can see.
07-16-2019, 02:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTechMan View Post
I have acquired the Extron matrix video switchers...
Watch for random interference noise and random blackouts/dropouts. I experienced that with an Extron. It can be easy to miss when merely scrubbing video, must go frame by frame. I think it's source-based. I could never peg down a reason on it. Just passing along some observations, hopefully you don't experience the same.

07-27-2019, 01:48 PM
Free Member

I have a JVC JX S777 and I don't see any noticeable loss of quality