Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-15-2020, 04:36 PM
Free Member

Does anyone know if the Pioneer laserdisc players from Japan that have 100v 50/60Hz label, work in the US without a step up converter?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-15-2020, 08:38 PM
Free Member

If such converter exists that means it is required, Never had a Japanese machine that is 100v so I can't confirm.

And they do exist, So you might want to use one before you screw up something.
10-14-2020, 10:40 AM
Free Member

Hello...you can really get a fair 6-head Hi-Fi Stereo multi-framework VHS VCR for around $150 US Dollars + delivering. The main issue, it will play that PAL VHS as PAL. That presumably doesn't do you no decent UNLESS you have a PC based catch framework that can catch PAL design video. On the off chance that you do, at that point you can catch it and either copy a PAL DVD-R or convert it to NTSC first and copy a NTSC DVD-R. The later is somewhat troublesome however should be possible. The previous will work on the grounds that there are USA models of DVD players that can play a PAL DVD and convert to NTSC on playback.
10-14-2020, 12:15 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbySherr View Post
Hello...you can really get a fair 6-head Hi-Fi Stereo multi-framework VHS VCR for around $150 US Dollars + delivering. The main issue, it will play that PAL VHS as PAL. That presumably doesn't do you no decent UNLESS you have a PC based catch framework that can catch PAL design video. On the off chance that you do, at that point you can catch it and either copy a PAL DVD-R or convert it to NTSC first and copy a NTSC DVD-R. The later is somewhat troublesome however should be possible. The previous will work on the grounds that there are USA models of DVD players that can play a PAL DVD and convert to NTSC on playback.
The OP is talking about Laser Discs not DVD or VHS.
10-14-2020, 02:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
The OP is talking about Laser Discs not DVD or VHS.
That reply may be a spammer. We shall see. Lots of spammers online lately.

It's obviously (and badly) translated into English. Example = "framework" instead of "format".

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-23-2021, 09:58 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Ah, this is excellent news indeed. It seems Panasonic S-VHS is like the Panasonic DVD recorders and JVC S-VHS VCRs. All universal 110/120-220/240 power, only need plug shape adapters when needed. Thanks much for sharing this. Hmm... maybe I should import the NV-HS1000 for myself.

I take a lot of risks, when it comes to video, all for the sake of research, and sharing my findings here. I've even started some fires before! I think my riskiest endeavors yet will come from those moldy VHS discussions we're having lately. I'll either completely destroy some gear, or it'll work wonderfuflly. We shall see!
Did you end up testing the NV-HS1000? It seemed to be the easiest one to find, but I don't really want to risk with power conversion stuff

My understanding is HS1000 is very similar to 200EG so maybe it worth the risk.
02-27-2022, 10:21 AM
Free Member

I've attached here a clip of the issue my PAL Panasonic NV-HS950 is having here in California, USA. The tracking works but doesn't fix the issue. I've taken this unit to a repair shop and they charged me $80 to clean it and to tell me that the vcr is fine and the image flickering is likely happening because of the voltage difference.

He recommended me to buy a step up converter 110 to 220v.

I just ordered a voltage converter plug from amazon and I will test it later tonight or tomorrow.

According to you guys, I should be fine using a cheap $4 shaped EU to US plug, but I'm running out of ideas to what to do to fix the image. So I'm really hopping this converter will fix the issue, otherwise I'll have to go back to the repair shop and ask him to refund me half of what I paid. It's very unfair to be charged $80 for nothing.

The repair shop has good review from people fixing their ntsc vcr. The shop is called "Rubicon Electronics Inc" in Tarzana / Los Angeles.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 amarec(20220215-0857)_clip.mp4 (2.66 MB, 5 downloads)
02-27-2022, 10:56 AM
Free Member

$80 for cleaning? What did he clean anyway since the VCR performance hasn't changed? Step up converter will most likely does nothing because the problem could be the frequency not the voltage, I would go back and get my money back.

Anyway after reviewing your footage that's not a VCR issue, it's the capture card/software/driver/PC/lack of frame TBC. You need a different hardware or a DVD recorder as a passthrough. You need to list your capture workflow to see what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
02-27-2022, 11:12 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Anyway after reviewing your footage that's not a VCR issue, it's the capture card/software/driver/PC/lack of frame TBC. You need a different hardware or a DVD recorder as a passthrough. You need to list your capture workflow to see what's going on.
I agree with latreche34. Tell us your capture workflow and settings you have used.
02-27-2022, 11:30 AM
Free Member

I’m using a Hauppauge Live2 USB. It works great with my laserdisc player (also analogue).
I also have a DRM-ES15. I tried to put it in the workflow and removes the big glitches, but it still look jumpy. Little but it’s very annoying.

The repair man hooked the vcr to his analogue monitor and it looked like he’s using a TBC, because it removes the big jitters but still looks jumpy the image. So without using the capture card, still look jumpy.

I don’t mind paying to get if fixed. But this is getting very frustrating.
My only hope is that the step up v convertor will do something. If not I’ll have to drive to the repair shop again and ask him to fix it or refund the money. It’s not fair to be charged for nothing
02-27-2022, 12:38 PM
Free Member

Quote:
So without using the capture card, still look jumpy.
You have to fix your source then. Be careful that Hauppauge USB Live-2 requires, like all the consumer cards, a stable signal, such a S-VHS with lineTBC or a DVD-R passthrough, and sometime a frameTBC.

It also requires a Y/C signal. [off topic] Do you capture from your laserdisc player (analog format, but much more stable than VHS), using its S-Video output? (The S-Video output of most laserdisc player is just as mediocre as USB Live-2 comb filter, a DVD-R passthrough can help here as well)

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
02-27-2022, 06:21 PM
Free Member

Now I can confirm what I already knew and all of you guys. The step up converter didn't fix the issue at all.
I've attached a clip showing the issue my Panasonic NV-HS950 is still having with the voltage converter plugged in.
I've also attached the converter I used.

Now I gotta drive half hour again to this man who supposedly is a technician for vcr's and tell him that either he fixes my vcr or I should get a full refund.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51lepIaWWqL._AC_SL1001_.jpg (29.6 KB, 2 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 amarec(20220227-1615).mp4 (6.74 MB, 2 downloads)
02-27-2022, 06:36 PM
Free Member

I still don't think it's the VCR but unless I see a video showing the TV screen and what it does, the problem in your capture sample suggests it's a field/line timing problem.

02-27-2022, 06:59 PM
Free Member

It definitely looks like the effect you get when these capture cards lose track of the signal yeah - issues with VCR or recording can of course make it more likely to happen (especially tape path alignment issues, either on the vcr itself or on the recordings). Also, is the TBC set to ON in these samples?

The issue being frequency of the power going into it seems unlikely, it's a switching power supply and it's supposed to work fine with both 50 and 60 hz. If that was an issue I would think you would be getting much more drastic issues, especially on this model where a lot of the video stuff is digital.

If you have a spare tape and the ES15 or something else you have can output PAL, I would try if making a fresh recording of the dvd menu or something gives the same problem. That could give you some indication on whether the recording on the tapes have issues. Could also try to play some known good NTSC tape in it with capture card set to NTSC (you won't get proper color and the TBC probably won't be active) to see what result you get with that.

Is the ES15 a US or international model? The US model does not support PAL so feeding it PAL will give you issues regardless of whether there are other issues or not. On the non-US variants you have to select between PAL and NTSC manually.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
02-28-2022, 12:57 PM
Free Member

@hodgey I tried to connect the vcr to a LED TV using the AV input (3 RCA to AV Input Adapter), and the image flickers with the image going back for a few frames sometimes. I can provide video of it too.

My ES15 is European (zone 2), so I will try to record on a vhs the pal signal of the ES15 or even my PAL laserdisc, and I'll post the results here.
About the internal TBC, it doesn't do anything when on or off. Neither the 3D DNR do anything that I can see. It's like the TBC wasn't working, but I don't have experience on how the image should change when turning TBC on or off, so I can't tell.

What I've done already is that with a external TBC, the image get's more stable, but still looks jumpy enough to be annoying.
02-28-2022, 01:44 PM
Free Member

Without a video demonstration no one really knows what you are seeing.