Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-27-2022, 09:31 AM
Free Member

Hello,
I am pretty new to this stuff but I really like to use late 90s or early 00s stuff. I do shoot basic stuff for fun on my Panasonic NV-VS4EG(svhs). My target is to get decent digital video that can be used on social media or sent to friends on internet. Camera has cinch + svideo and digital still picture but I dont really know if it can be used anymore.
I would like to keep my budget to the lows since its one of my hunderts hobbies, these cameras are here in Europe worth less then 30$
I also have NV-FS88 VCR and few 00s thinkpads that could be used at this project. I have ezcap 271, but I know I will get burned for this here, but thats not the "quality" I am looking for.
I have read some 2010ish topic and that this kind of fun can be really expensive, but I was thinking that we are again 10 years further and things could be done easier?
Thanks for all answers and have nice day.

Attached Images
File Type: png vlcsnap-2022-02-27-16h30m28s950.png (229.3 KB, 23 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-27-2022, 11:08 AM
Free Member

VHS is VHS nothing has changed or will in terms of how video is captured, That's why newer OS's are not favorable of doing such legacy tasks, You can get away with OS and drivers problems by using USB 3.0, PCIe, SDI but those are expensive workflows not your average easycrap, Another way of doing it on a budget is to find a capture card from 2010's using Windows 7 machine. That video still frame looks horrible by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
02-27-2022, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekicz View Post
I have read some 2010ish topic and that this kind of fun can be really expensive, but I was thinking that we are again 10 years further and things could be done easier?
Well, I'd say we're 10 years further and no good new hardware has been produced, so it has become more difficult and more expensive just to source the same equipment that was used 10 years ago to do the same tasks. I can't speak to the ease of the work as I haven't gotten into the software side yet. But 7 years ago I was seeing the same VCRs for $200-$300 USD that are now double that. TBCs have increased in price many multiples and a reliable one is extremely difficult to source. You mentioned wanting to keep a low budget, and that may prove difficult for you. Judging by that screenshot you need some upgraded equipment if you want to improve quality.

Although that does look like a nice 316/318/323.
02-28-2022, 01:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
VHS is VHS nothing has changed or will in terms of how video is captured, That's why newer OS's are not favorable of doing such legacy tasks, You can get away with OS and drivers problems by using USB 3.0, PCIe, SDI but those are expensive workflows not your average easycrap, Another way of doing it on a budget is to find a capture card from 2010's using Windows 7 machine. That video still frame looks horrible by the way.
Yeah I got this thought, just when I posted it. I should start doing this 15years ago.
Capture card would be best solution afaik, w7 is not an issue. What brand, model, type I should be looking for in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmuy97 View Post
Well, I'd say we're 10 years further and no good new hardware has been produced, so it has become more difficult and more expensive just to source the same equipment that was used 10 years ago to do the same tasks. I can't speak to the ease of the work as I haven't gotten into the software side yet. But 7 years ago I was seeing the same VCRs for $200-$300 USD that are now double that. TBCs have increased in price many multiples and a reliable one is extremely difficult to source. You mentioned wanting to keep a low budget, and that may prove difficult for you. Judging by that screenshot you need some upgraded equipment if you want to improve quality.
Yeah, seeing all the vintage, retro, 00s stuff getting hyped back up again makes me a bit sad, knowing that there are some things, cars that will always stay as a dream.

And that frame is horrible, yes it is, but that is just outcome of 30$ish stuff from local flea markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmuy97 View Post
Although that does look like a nice 316/318/323.
Its a 323ti, it was looking very nice considering it was 1500$. Bought it together with my friend to learn drift and abuse, it went well since I threw it against concrete wall at local mountain road. I guess it will end up as a missile....

Not very local service, offers professional converting to HD remastering with tbc and all that stuff for 9$/1h with compete .mp4 file uploaded to cloud. That got me thinking if its not better use it with my avg 2h of material per year. Decent capture card would make me record more